Toronto FC Roster Dance 2012

MM2

I read on the RPB board (would have to do some searching to confirm it was posted by somebody with a decent track record on inside info) that Iro wanted his salary doubled. Not sure that they low-balled him in MLS terms in other words. Given Iro is from Liverpool he doesn't have the work permit issues that most ex-NCAA players have in a UK context so he is maybe confident he can get better money with an English club. I suspect he may wind up regretting not signing the contract because there is no word of him being signed by anybody so far.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read on the RPB board (would have to do some searching to confirm it was posted by somebody with a decent track record on inside info) that Iro wanted his salary doubled. Not sure that they low-balled him in MLS terms in other words. Given Iro is from Liverpool he doesn't have the work permit issues that most ex-NCAA players have in a UK context so he is maybe confident he can get better money with an English club. I suspect he may wind up regretting not signing the contract because there is no word of him being signed by anybody so far.

I know that Iro has been on trial with Forest and West Ham so far and neither club wanted to sign him.

That shouldn't stop him from getting a contract somewhere like Macclesfield though, should it?

....and there is often still decent money to be made in League One and Two in England relative to a sub-100k MLS salary. I'm surprised a club like West Ham would take him on trial given he was struggling for playing time last season and it looks like they are going to be promoted back to the Premiership again. That shows that MLS is being treated with a lot more respect in the UK these days.

....and there is often still decent money to be made in League One and Two in England relative to a sub-100k MLS salary. I'm surprised a club like West Ham would take him on trial given he was struggling for playing time last season and it looks like they are going to be promoted back to the Premiership again. That shows that MLS is being treated with a lot more respect in the UK these days.

They had just taken George John on loan (with an option to buy) from Dallas so I am guessing they felt MLS players were a cheap option to fill holes. Edson Buddle was also on trial the same time as Iro.

No surprise. I expect TFC to stop selecting supp players in the near future unless they spot a guy like Plata again.

Agree, unless there is a Canadian available it is a waste for the team and the player (minimal chance of making the team and TFC holds their MLS rights for two years). Unless TFC does the "right" thing and gives the player an outright release to another MLS team.

It is good to see the Academy players still at camp ant the Supp players dropped....

There will be something seriously wrong if that isn't the shape of things to come given the scale of the investment at Downsview. Where this year is concerned though have read they've been told that most of them are there for the experience and shouldn't take it as a signal that they are almost ready for an MLS contract. One or two signings per season would be about right over the long haul. Many are called few are chosen and all that.

When are the next round of cuts due?

Winter said yesterday that they are taking 32 - 34 players to Orlando on the 13th so that means 4 - 6 either cut or left at home. I suppose that doesn't mean 'cuts' per se but I expect that will be at least some indication of how things stand with a few players.

Things seem pretty positive in reports from training camp. Difference this year is that they also look positive. Getting pumped for the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived