Toronto FC Roster Dance 2012

MM2

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's basically an appeal to authority. Think what would be of most interest right now on this would be direct quotes from Winter or Mariner or info gleaned from inside sources posted online by people with a good track regard in that regard. I've seen stuff on the RPB board in the latter sort of regard in the last couple of days that has pointed towards an ongoing search for a left centre back. If it was Danleigh Borman rather than Ashtone Morgan who was at risk of losing his starting spot at left back, I don't think people would be pushing this Aceval as a centre back thing. To be able to do the Ajax stuff properly they need to get two experienced centre backs in who are very comfortable in possession. Andy Iro definitely wasn't the answer long term as anything more than inexpensive cover, so it may be a blessing in disguise that he turned down their offer. Hopefully they get it sorted out before the season starts.
I'm confused here. Are you saying that Aceval being touted as a CB is a conspiracy? Why, and what makes you sure that he's a LB?

From what I've read (Spanish and English lang. sources, not counting TFC forums/blogs), Aceval is primarily a CB, who can be called upon to play LB and DM positions. Good defender, great at set pieces and long shots, but, not sure if he can play a passing possession oriented game.

Simple guys. Look him up on youtube, there's a lengthy video of him at Union Espanola , his second to last club. You can see he is in the centre of defence in almost every clip you see. He does also appear at left back. You can speculate all you want about his best position and where TFC want him to play but at Espanola at least, most "highlights" were while he was at centre back, so its not like he is not capable or comfortable in the position.

Why make it out as if he has hardly played CB and would only be valued at LB by TFC , where do you get this stuff ?

Nobody has suggested he would be completely lost at centre back. Flexibility is a selling point in MLS because of the small roster sizes. From what I've seen in youtube clips he can also play left mid/winger but the fact remains that there is an obvious need for another left back with Borman and Yourassowsky gone and Harden more or less useless in that role and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that Aceval is the reason they felt able to finally put Yourassowsky on waivers. With Iro turning down the contract offer they are going to need to sign somebody else at centre back.

So to recap both Borman and Yourassowsky have been shown the door, Winter is on record as saying that Ashtone Morgan can't be expected to play over 40 games per season but the new player from Chile, is not being brought in to address that situation? If that's what you want to believe on you go.

I doubt it. If you look at reports from his NT callup, the Chile coach mentions that he intends to use him as a 'stopper izquierdo' (izquierdo = left). A stopper is more akin to a centre back or a fullback, whereas someone playing in Morgan's spot would have to be more of a wing-back, i.e. much more comfortable going forward. Another reason Aceval wouldn't be good for Morgan's position is because he is described as slow by many people.

It seems to me, he would then be in the mold of a Rochat.

Who prefers and is more suitable to the left back spot, but if need be he can provide a healthy cb cover, nice to have someone that can slide to cb from your starting XI, since the ones off the bench tend to have cold legs and don't see enough time to sub in during a match while being effective.

Looking at his videos, I get the impression that most of those came from set-pieces and penalties.

I think he'd be a great central defender in the MLS. I just wouldn't expect him to do WB duties. Also note that Chile likes 3-5-2, in which the 3 are CBs, and most of the 'winging' is done by the outer guys in the 5. A 4-3-3, especially Winter's 4-3-3 with two DMs requires WBs.

@BBTB: I did a through Googling of Aceval a couple of days ago. I'm not going to re-look and cite for you. I don't care if you believe me.

So what is being claimed is that Winter and Mariner initially decided to keep Yourassowsky back in November after dispensing with the services of Danleigh Borman and then subsequently changed their minds and placed him on waivers after signing a left-sided central defender who is too slow to provide competition for Ashtone Morgan at left back and that the deal was closed with this new player while there was still an open contract offer on the table to Andy Iro, who could be expected to play the same position?

No, I did not claim that entire series of events. When looking at info about a player, I look at what the player did, not all the moves the manager did the entire off-season.

Good on you though for trying to look at things in context. You should include the following into consideration:

- Limited international spots

- Salary budget, cap and other MLS rules

- Timing of trades in the off-season shouldn't be looked at in one-to-one terms

- ^ especially around Christmastime

- ^ especially for international transfers

Looking at his videos, I get the impression that most of those came from set-pieces and penalties.

Exactly what I saw too. And it's not like that footage was slight, there was quite a bit of it. I also don't remember too many clips of him making marauding runs down the flank, although he is very composed on the ball.

Eckersley officially made the deal permanent, no news on the hit that it will make towards the cap.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/reds-make-eckersley-move-permanent

and add Ecuadorian defender Geovanny Caicedo:

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/tfc-sign-defender-geovanny-caicedo

wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geovanny_Caicedo

I wonder what relationship TFC have foraged with Caicedo and Plata’s parent club LDU Quito during the negotions with these two players

Eckersley and Plata are probably their biggest signings though! It's tough given each club is at a really different point in their development. I guess TFC and VWFC are comparable to a degree. They both signed a big CB from South American. Caceido looks to be higher in pedigree, but Bonjour is quite a bit younger. It will be very interesting to see how all these South and Central Americans do across MLS. I"m not convinced by the common wisdom that these is the best way to go in terms of international signings. I think a guy like YP Lee could have a huge effect on the Caps if he stays healthy.

I like the Caicedo, Eckersley and possible Aceval signings. It solidifies backline, and means that Morgan isn't necessarily thrust into a starting role too early at RB.

I like the prospects of this team for the upcoming season with their recent signings. Don't know much about Lambe, or the draft picks, but I think they've really improved.

I like the Caicedo, Eckersley and possible Aceval signings. It solidifies backline, and means that Morgan isn't necessarily thrust into a starting role too early at RB.

I like the prospects of this team for the upcoming season with their recent signings. Don't know much about Lambe, or the draft picks, but I think they've really improved.

I think Morgan is going to blow some socks off this season! The rate of improvement he has seen has been silly and if continued he will be a world class player wanted everywhere. (and unaffordable for us...)

Archived