Toronto FC Roster Dance 2012

MM2

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/18/yourassowsky_waivers/

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2012/01/toronto-waives-yourassowsky

Yourassowsky waived by TFC. Is this an opening for the signing of that left-sided chilean defender? Sounds like potentially good news for Henry's playing time.

How is the signing of a LCB good for Henry?

Please TFC let Ty Harden be the next player who is waived...I've been waiting and hoping all offseason!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yourassowsky didn't have enough time in the league to have a guaranteed contract under the new CBA. I think Harden does, which considerably limits the scope for getting rid of him now that his option has been picked up. I think Cann and Williams are in a similar position to Yourassowsky contractually where waivers based on performance is concerned and that may be why management are comfortable adopting a wait and see approach on their recovery from injury.

Please TFC let Ty Harden be the next player who is waived...I've been waiting and hoping all offseason!

LCB? Is Aceval a CB or a LB? Any signing defensively will limit Henry's chances which none of us want! But we all want TFC to win etc as well whether we are fans of other Canadian clubs or not....the better the MLS teams are the better for the game across the nation.

LCB? Is Aceval a CB or a LB?

From the RPB baord:

"Earlier informational posts about Miguel Aceval:

He is actually capable of playing in any position in the back 4.. primarily used as LB, he is very comfortable and extremely capable in the CB role as well which is what i believe he will be played in if the signing is confirmed

He's fast, strong, agile, physical and very technical for a man his size.... He has a crazy left foot.. has dangerous free kicks with inside and outside of foot up to 40m out

Watched him play for Colo Colo for 6 yrs and win 4 titles there and had a very very good stint with Union Espanola as well

This will be a solid signing to shore up the back line and allow Frings to move to his more offensive role

Aceval with the winning spot kick to win 2006 Apertura

Plus:

Some Chilean media outlets have reported that Miguel Aceval has been linked to or is very close to reaching a deal with Toronto FC. I figured I'd take the opportunity to describe the type of player Aceval is: first of all, he's lefty and is most comfortable as either a CB or a LB. Has also filled in as a DM and LWB in the past.

Not the flashiest but plays a very simple and at times (overly) aggressive game and has a rocket of a left foot. His ht might present a disadvantage in MLS (he's only 183 cm tall).

If I were a TFC fan, that I would feel most excited about is the fact that he's been capped at Senior level quite recently. Iirc, he started the friendly against Mexico (in Europe) in early September and he's rated by the current NT coach--Claudio Borghi. That being said, he's certainly not a top6 defender in the centre back depth chart for Chile but he is certainly not a washout or a "has been" player.

Started his career with Colo Colo and has played for a number of other small clubs: most recently Universidad de Concepción. If he does sign for Toronto, this would be his second stint abroad, having already played in Uruguay for Defensor Sporting."

Sorry, it was a typo. I meant it was potentially good news for Morgan. I was under the impression that Aceval's signing was likely to happen, so with Yourassowski gone, it's one less player potentially taking playing time away from Morgan.

Winter considers the each CB spot a unique position, hence why people have been differentiating the LCB and RCB spots.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the backline look like this to start the season, with Aceval eventually moving to his left once Cann in healthy.

Morgan---Aceval---caicedo----Hall

It would be more of a Mo Johnston type thing to do to sign a guy who normally plays left back and then play him at centre back.

It would be even more of a MoJo move to significantly overpay for a guy and sign him to a too long termed deal that hinders salary cap flexibility.

I can usually see where you are coming from but you have lost me with that one. How does that relate to Aceval's yet to be officially announced signing and whether he will be used at centre back or left back? Given he is being signed from one of the smaller Chilean clubs I will be surprised if he gets more than about $100k. Mo Johnston ran into problems in that regard because salaries are relatively high in the transfer market over in the UK that he knew best and where he had contacts. If Morgan is good enough he'll be able to compete successfully against this guy for the starting position just as he did with Yourassowsky. If Aceval was Chile's version of Roberto Carlos he wouldn't have been playing for an alsoran like Universidad de Concepcion at what should be the peak of his career so that shouldn't be mission impossible. Morgan has to earn it though and that's what some people on here seem to lose sight of to a certain extent.

I can usually see where you are coming from but you have lost me with that one. How does that relate to Aceval's yet to be officially announced signing and whether he will be used at centre back or left back? Given he is being signed from one of the smaller Chilean clubs I will be surprised if he gets more than about $100k. Mo Johnston ran into problems in that regard because salaries are relatively high in the transfer market over in the UK that he knew best and where he had contacts. If Morgan is good enough he'll be able to compete successfully against this guy for the starting position just as he did with Yourassowsky. If Aceval was Chile's version of Roberto Carlos he wouldn't have been playing for an alsoran like Universidad de Concepcion at what should be the peak of his career so that shouldn't be mission impossible. Morgan has to earn it though and that's what some people on here seem to lose sight of to a certain extent.

BBTB you have some good points but you are missing one key point, he won a cap for Chile last year I think that alone will drive up his salary but hopefully I'm wrong.

Acevall's profile looks pretty good.

As for Marošević, maybe he's actually going to use his G.A. deal to go back to school? I've talked to more than a few young players previously linked with TFC and the consensus was chasing the MLS minimum is simply not worth it.

I would not be surprised if these guys were told a long time ago they had no future with the club and we're simply kept on the books as a matter of giving them a little extra scratch.

I suspect/hope Eckersley will be back at right back and think that it is not safe to assume that Arceval won't be playing left back as some people seem to be doing on the messageboards. It would be more of a Mo Johnston type thing to do to sign a guy who normally plays left back and then play him at centre back.

He's played at cb before, not exactly plugging the square peg in the round hole.

Surprised a bit about Marosevic, only surprised by the timing of You're Ass (I'm assuming that its to make way for another signing of some kind, otherwise why not do it when the rest of the waived players were released when Zavarise etc. were?). I'm actually surprised that they couldn't get a deal with Iro, who they, lest we forget, even made the point of protecting in the expansion draft. I'm not in the slightest bit disappointed mind you, but surprised that he wouldn't accept a new offer because he's not that good frankly and was lucky to be making what he was & starting regularly in this league.

Getting to the point of nearly 50% turnover from last year's team - and that's from the end of last year's team which had about 50% of it changed from the start of last season. I suppose the core of the team is there and the news that Plata has been signed & Eckersley is about to be at least bodes well, but it's more turnover under Winter & Mariner than I was expecting. Still, if the team's progress continues, difficult to complain about it or criticize it.

He's played at cb before, not exactly plugging the square peg in the round hole.

That doesn't address the point I made. He may be able to get the job done there to a certain extent like Frings has since arriving but the normal approach to building a roster would be to go out and sign a player who normally plays centre back to fill the obvious void on the roster in that regard. There are plenty available around the world during this transfer window. The obvious reason to sign Arceval is to replace Yourassowky at left back and Yourassowsky being placed on waivers is consistent with that.

I posted on this site a little while ago that I thought TFC would get rid of Marosevic. He just makes way too much money for a bit part player. That's exactly what he is. Yourass is also no surpirse. Not only did he take up an Intl spot, he made $80,000 a year. I'm relieved that Iro is gone as well. All that needs to happen now is for Harden to be shown the door in order for all that was crap about TFC from years 1-5 to be a distant memory. After Ecks comes back, and assuming TFC sign the two long rumoured South American CB's, they will only need to sign a good Forward as cover/depth for Danny K in order to be ready for the season. Winter/Mariner have done well fixing the obvious problems this off season. The only move I don't agree with is signing Jeremy Hall. He makes somewhere in the region of $120,000-$130,000 and was absolute crap at FCD.

My point is that he generally overpaid for guys during his reign of error, not about Aceval in particular. Perhaps that's where we are "lost in translation" (a little homage to your work experience in Japan;)).

I was very happy to see Morgan win the LB job over Borman last year. He still has a lot to learn with regards to the craft of defending, but competition for his spot (as well as all the spots) will bring out the best in him and the all the others.

Glad to see Iro gone. Sorry, I didn't rate the trade at all and unfortunately he fully met my low expectations.

That doesn't address the point I made. He may be able to get the job done there to a certain extent like Frings has since arriving but the normal approach to building a roster would be to go out and sign a player who normally plays centre back to fill the obvious void on the roster in that regard. There are plenty available around the world during this transfer window. The obvious reason to sign Arceval is to replace Yourassowky at left back and Yourassowsky being placed on waivers is consistent with that.

"At centre back, let's hope reports of Chilean Miguel Aceval and Ecuadorian Geovanny Caicedo joining the team are correct."

Sounds like Fletcher sees Aceval as more than a potential stop-gap as a centre back. He may not know much about Aceval and is using a bit of guesswork but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he has a good idea about Aceval and TFC's plans for him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/01/22/fletcher_blog/

It isn't as if I am saying his word is gospel but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt bc he has been slightly validated by Sportsnet's official link with him (I've read a few of his other blogs as well, so he isn't a one off) and his reasoning in his article made sense. No one knows for sure what winter has planned, but aside from concerns I have about his height, he looks like he could be a left sided centre-half based on available bodies at the club at the min.

That's basically an appeal to authority. Think what would be of most interest right now on this would be direct quotes from Winter or Mariner or info gleaned from inside sources posted online by people with a good track regard in that regard. I've seen stuff on the RPB board in the latter sort of regard in the last couple of days that has pointed towards an ongoing search for a left centre back. If it was Danleigh Borman rather than Ashtone Morgan who was at risk of losing his starting spot at left back, I don't think people would be pushing this Aceval as a centre back thing. To be able to do the Ajax stuff properly they need to get two experienced centre backs in who are very comfortable in possession. Andy Iro definitely wasn't the answer long term as anything more than inexpensive cover, so it may be a blessing in disguise that he turned down their offer. Hopefully they get it sorted out before the season starts.

Archived