Toronto FC Roster Dance 2012

MM2

“I’ll never forget the words of [current TFC manager] Paul Mariner saying that he wants to make sure he’ll send me to a last-place team and let me burn in the heat,” a candid de Guzman said. “It worked out for myself, getting the last laugh, the karma of things. Right now who’s the last place team in the league and who’s battling for the playoffs?”

yup Mariner sounds like a great guy. Constantly calling out on his players now this? the guy is a moron, and i'm sorry but if anyone thinks he should be with TFC next season ur brain dead.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one that believes Mariner is not the answer for TFC. His style of play is just bad for the eye, his antics on the sideline is juvenile, and the way he doesn't hold himself accountable for anything makes me want to vomit.

I know people are trying to send a message by not going to games, but the way to send a message is for ALL supporters groups to unite and make banners MARINER OUT, chant MARINER OUT all game long. Put pressure on the FO for all to see. With only a few home games remaining now is the time or we'll be stuck with Mariner.

I would replace Weideman in that list with Jeremy Hall. But otherwise I agree 100%. Maund in particular doesn't look like he could start in the PDL. I have no idea what he sees in him. Maybe as an emergency back-up for a central defense position if he was partnered with someone who is good with the ball, but in midfield he looks ( & is) absolutely clueless as to what he's supposed to do and doesn't have the talent to do it even if he could figure it out.

I could have easily added Jeremy Hall and a few more (Amarikwa comes to mind - although, except for yesterday, at least he runs!) to my short list.

Also, after all that bluster about the poor effort against Chicago, he basically trots out the same lineup against Philly, save the returning Dunfield and Johnson.

I loathe to think of yet another coaching change at TFC, but it is almost inevitable now.

• 3 weeks later...

A CSN article has put TFC's 2012 season as the 6th worst MLS season by any club. So i went back to look at what those teams did the following season (coaching wise).

1. New York (1999) -- Bora Milutinovic fired. replaced by Octavio Zambrano.

2. Tampa Bay (2001 -- Perry Van der Beck Clubs final season in MLS.

3. Chivas (2005) -- Hans Weserhof fired. replaced by Bob Bradley.

4. Kansas City (1999) -- Ron Newman fired. replaced by Ken Fogary (interm rest of season). replaced by Bob Gransler.

4. RSL (2005) -- John Ellinger stayed on. (RSL first season in MLS)

6. New York (2009) -- Juan Carlos Osario fired. replaced by Richie Williams (interm rest of season). replaced by Hans Backe.

Following season

1. New York -- new coach finished 1st in the East

2. Tampa Bay -- folded

3. Chivas USA -- new coach finished 3rd in the West

4. Kansas City -- new coach finished 1st in the West and won MLS CUP

4. RSL -- same coach second season in MLS 6th in the West

6. New York -- new coach 1st in the East

All but two teams replaced head coaches or interm coaches and went on to make the playoffs the following season. The other two teams. One folded and the other was an expanssion team.

All but two teams replaced head coaches or interm coaches and went on to make the playoffs the following season. The other two teams. One folded and the other was an expanssion team.
On paper, that bodes well for us, given we've replaced our head coach!

But even I'm starting to wonder if we won't find ourselves on the list again next year.

Lets face it unless we drop some SERIOUS dead weight and flip this team upside down by February next year will be the same. The team has some good deals on the books (the youngsters, Silva, Dunfield, O'Dea) but needs to get rid of guys like Eckersley, Hall, Avila, sadly even Cann and other bad contracts in order to bring in the players we need.

Lets face it unless we drop some SERIOUS dead weight and flip this team upside down by February next year will be the same. The team has some good deals on the books (the youngsters, Silva, Dunfield, O'Dea) but needs to get rid of guys like Eckersley, Hall, Avila, sadly even Cann and other bad contracts in order to bring in the players we need.

No way is Eckersley gone. Mariner loves him.

150k is a little low... but overall I think the point stands. Especially considering he is a RB, 300k for that position is a luxury MLS teams can't afford. Even worse, they don't even play in a fashion that allows him to push forward, so a lot of his skillset is wasted.

I know people are trying to send a message by not going to games, but the way to send a message is for ALL supporters groups to unite and make banners MARINER OUT, chant MARINER OUT all game long. Put pressure on the FO for all to see. With only a few home games remaining now is the time or we'll be stuck with Mariner.

No sorry the only way to send a message is not going (not buying tix) we already know the team can suck ass and the people in charge somehow get promoted. Why? Because the team is still financially successful. That is honestly the only way change will ever happen. TFC needs to become the anchor in MLSE's portfolio by being in the red for there to be change from the top down (or for them to sell it). As long as the team still makes $$$ the change will keep being from the bottom up, which will keep them in the same position year after year.

No sorry the only way to send a message is not going (not buying tix) we already know the team can suck ass and the people in charge somehow get promoted. Why? Because the team is still financially successful. That is honestly the only way change will ever happen. TFC needs to become the anchor in MLSE's portfolio by being in the red for there to be change from the top down (or for them to sell it). As long as the team still makes $$$ the change will keep being from the bottom up, which will keep them in the same position year after year.

Sadly this is 100% accurate. The brass at MLSE use $$$ as a measure of success - that's why Richard Peddie stuck around so long, the business was thriving despite dismal failure on the court/ice/field for the past 5/8/6 years. What gets me is why no one at MLSE has conducted a review of potential lost revenue compared to actual revenues. I'm sure the failure of the sports teams has actually led to potential revenue loses of $100+ million over the past 8 or so years.

Archived