Marc De Santos the future coach?

Olgier

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, johnyb said:

Cant find the Tweet but I thought I read on Twitter this morning that he was hired as Head Coach of St Louis FC.

Found it. Nothing official, STLFC is announcing their new Head Coach today at 6pm. The Author Speculation is it's De Santos. Sorry I suck at links.

STLFC announced Anthiony Pulis as their manager

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

The interesting though not surprising part of the article is this: MDS confirmed that he wasn’t contacted by Canada Soccer about the men’s team coaching position. Octavio Zambrano was replaced by John Herdman, who moved over from the women’s side.

If I were Dos Santos, I’d stay the hell away of the Tire fire known as the CMNT.  He has a better MLS career to grow under.  I’d rather be learning under Bob Bradley than Jason devos, Nick Dasovic and any other ex-Nats, at least Bradley qualified to a World Cup and coached in Europe.

5 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

If I were Dos Santos, I’d stay the hell away of the Tire fire known as the CMNT.  He has a better MLS career to grow under.  I’d rather be learning under Bob Bradley than Jason devos, Nick Dasovic and any other ex-Nats, at least Bradley qualified to a World Cup and coached in Europe.

Well thank god you’re not MDS as he’s said his goal in to coach the MNT and I’ll welcome him home when it happens.

A bit disappointing he won't be a head coach/manager in his next job but a great chance to learn under Bradley. No doubt he will still have offers in a year, mayne more offers than now if he does well down there. He will come out more experienced. 

Plenty of time to hone his craft further before the national team beckons. But who knows with the CSA.

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

A bit disappointing he won't be a head coach/manager in his next job but a great chance to learn under Bradley. No doubt he will still have offers in a year, mayne more offers than now if he does well down there. He will come out more experienced. 

Plenty of time to hone his craft further before the national team beckons. But who knows with the CSA.

It's crazy that he did not get a head coaching offer from MLS with his CV. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

It's crazy that he did not get a head coaching offer from MLS with his CV. 

I don't think that it's crazy. Aside from Rennie, what coach got a MLS job after coaching in NASL/USL? I think Savarese is the only one I can think of and from the looks of it dos Santos interviewed for the Timbers' job

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Not uncommon in the MLS for a sacked coach to be replaced by the Assistant. He will be a head Coach in MLS soon enough.

16 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Well thank god you’re not MDS as he’s said his goal in to coach the MNT and I’ll welcome him home when it happens.

Would it be surprising that Herdman fall flat and MDS comes in to rescue CMNT and youth programs.... Let's hope Herd succeeds to implement a plan that can get CMNT going, but MDS is the one to get us to the top which a WC appearance.... if it doesn't happen with the Herd....

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think that it's crazy. Aside from Rennie, what coach got a MLS job after coaching in NASL/USL? I think Savarese is the only one I can think of and from the looks of it dos Santos interviewed for the Timbers' job

Wilmer Cabrera, Houston: though he had a year with Chivas USA prior to coaching Rio Grande Valley

Brian Schmeltzer, Seattle

Fernando Clavijo, Colorado (indoor soccer)

Curt Onalfo, LAG: had prior experience managing SKC before being LAG assistant than managing LA2. Then replaced Arena as manager of LAG.

Colin Clarke, FCD

Bob Gansler, SKC

Steve Nicol, NER

Mike Petke, RSL: managed NYRB, then Real Monarchs in USL, then RSL

You can also add guys like Hyndman, Arena, Schmid, Bradley who all have college experience prior to becoming MLS head coach.

2 hours ago, Blackdude said:

So the gap between MLS and NASL/USL is really an abyss?...... If it cannot be bridged by a coach that has taken 4 different teams (Montreal 2009 USL title, Fury 2015 NASL final, Swope Park 2016 USL final and Deltas 2017 NASL title) to the Championship game. ...which is unfortunate for players and coaches

I hope he does well with LAFC and then uses this as his next move up the ladder to that MLS head gig, which I would love to see him get.  A wonder which remaining available San Fran guys, Canadian or other, will get look during preseason or is Bradley's roster pretty set for now?

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I hope he does well with LAFC and then uses this as his next move up the ladder to that MLS head gig, which I would love to see him get.  A wonder which remaining available San Fran guys, Canadian or other, will get look during preseason or is Bradley's roster pretty set for now?

I don't think any of SF Delta Canadians are good enough for LAFC, not at the cost of int spot. And LAFC is making a lot of int spot signings. 

In a lot of way, MDS is in a good spot to learn from Bob Bradley, and set himself to get himself a MLS head coach gig in future. Seems like a lot of MLS assistants do get consideration for a head coaching gig.

Archived