Marc De Santos the future coach?

Olgier

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before this spirals out of control since apparently many here can not read the article in French, he is not saying that he will be the coach of the national team any time in the near future. The article talks mostly about why he left the Impact which as one could expect he had philosophical differences with DeSantis. He also states that he thinks the Impact have made a mistake in releasing Gerba. He has two offers to become head coach of 2nd division Brazilian teams. The last line of the article then states, "In the longer term, he dreams of helping Canada qualify for the World Cup."

yes, and besides even if he were ever to be considered for a coaching post for one of the national teams would he be the worst choice that we have ever had? Try of to think of some of the current or past U20 and or U17 coaches that we have had. Is his pedigree or resume worst that than some of those guys?

Just think of who the current coach of the national U20 side is. Whats his background?

The more i think about, he might be the most qualified compared to all of our past junior team coaches.

yes, and besides even if he were ever to be considered for a coaching post for one of the national teams would he be the worst choice that we have ever had? Try of to think of some of the current or past U20 and or U17 coaches that we have had. Is his pedigree or resume worst that than some of those guys?

Just think of who the current coach of the national U20 side is. Whats his background?

The more i think about, he might be the most qualified compared to all of our past junior team coaches.

Well he certainly coached at a higher club level than Hart.

But you'd like o think they'd be aiming higher when it comes time for Hart's successor.

Besides like Grizzly said neither MDS nor the article's author are saying it will or even should happen.

Waste.Of.The Internets.Space.

please tell us what you know of him , his style of coaching , his approach to dealing with players, his experience......

MDS was a fine coach. Sadly, he was forced to deal with an technical dictator who tried to control everything.

If we were to go with a former Impact coach i'd rather have John Limniatis. But there's realistically 100 coaches better suited to the MNT than Limniatis so...

I think you've made a vague generalization about there being 100 coaches better ... but since you brought it up, why don't you give us top 5 realistic choices ... ?

I think Marc is a good coach and I hope he finds a good gig somewhere

Every Canadian coach of a certain level wants to the head coach of the MNT so it is no surprise that he would indicate that this would be an ambition of his. Maybe one day he will have that opportunity.

I think you've made a vague generalization about there being 100 coaches better ... but since you brought it up, why don't you give us top 5 realistic choices ... ?

First off, i have nothing against John Limniatis, i actually think he's a good NASL level coach and i would even consider him for one of our CDN youth team coaching spots ahead of some of the culprits we currently have. I think MDS might even be an upgrade as well.

When i say there are 100 coaches better than Limniatis that i would consider for Canada i don't realistically expect that all 100 would be available or even consider us. That said, some of the coaches who were in the running last time: Bruce Arena (asked for $500K per annum, currently with LAG), Ozzie Ardiles and Cabralzinho (CSA looked at his resume and didn't even bother calling him - idiots).

Others I would consider realistic if someone competent were doing the hiring and were willing to pay more than the minimal amount Hart is earning:

Hernan Dario Gomez - Formerly coached Colombia and Ecuador, also coached Guatemala so has CONCACAF exp. On the downside he hits women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hern%C3%A1n_Dar%C3%ADo_G%C3%B3mez

Francisco Maturana - Coached in Spain, also coached the NT's of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and also has CONCACAF exp. with Costa Rica and T&T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Maturana

Nelson Acosta - Former Chilean NT coach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Acosta

Alexandre Guimaraes - Former Costa Rica and Panama coach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Guimar%C3%A3es

There are likely dozens of other candidates you could probably dig up from all over SA and Europe (like ex-Slovenian coach Prosnikar that Grizzly mentioned in another thread), and if you want to start getting a little less realistic and reaching for bigger names then i'd throw out Leo Beenhaker, Ricardo Lavolpe, Carlos Bianchi, Radomir Antic, Jose Pekerman, etc.

I agree with JPG about Limniatis not being a great candidate even though I am a big fan of what he did with the Impact. On the plus side he is the only coach I have ever seen motivate a Canadian team, club or national, to such an extent that playing in intense Central American pressure stadium seemed to be a positive (apparently his experiences playing in Greece allowed him to prepare the team for such an atmosphere). I would also say he was the best coach we ever had for the Impact if we judge him solely on that year (and there is nothing else to judge him on). However, whether he would have been the best coach we ever had, had he stayed for several years is not something I am sure about. He was fired unjustly and prematurely in my opinion so whether or not he could have turned around our poor start to the following season is pure speculation. Also we should not forget that MDS was Limo's assistent and they seemed to be a pretty equal team in practice if not title. I don't think MDS was as good without Limo as he was with him and we have no idea what Limo would be like without MDS.

The main reason I think he would be a poor hire is that he has a very similar background to all of our other coaches after Ossieck. Not a very extensive coaching background or experience and a single run of success with one team. Yallop had a 3 year run of success with San Jose, Mitchell had some success with the U-20 team and Hart had the one excellent Gold Cup. Often such successes are one offs that can be due to a number of factors besides the coach being particularly talented. Nor has the subsequent records of any of the coaches really shown that they were all that good of a coach. I would love to see Limo get another chance to prove that he is a good coach and with a great deal more experience and success he might be a valid candidate for the national coach. I feel the same about MDS if he could go to Brazil and have success with a 2nd division team and eventually a 1st division team, in 10 years time he might be a great candidate for the post. It is also not surprising that the only former coach who has had any subsequent success post Canada is the last guy we hired who was actually qualified for the job. Ossieck won the Asian Champions League while coaching Urawa and has Australia playing pretty well under him. I am not advocating rehiring Ossieck but we need someone with a similar record of success both at club and national team level. Hiring these unqualified guys based on one limited success is obviously not working.

Appropriate or not, i really though that it was some kinda of news that i should have post it on the Voyageurs forum board.

There's nothing wrong with dicussing any potential future coach IMHO, your thread has spurned 3 pages of discussion, that can't be a bad thing!

First off, i have nothing against John Limniatis, i actually think he's a good NASL level coach and i would even consider him for one of our CDN youth team coaching spots ahead of some of the culprits we currently have. I think MDS might even be an upgrade as well.

When i say there are 100 coaches better than Limniatis that i would consider for Canada i don't realistically expect that all 100 would be available or even consider us. That said, some of the coaches who were in the running last time: Bruce Arena (asked for $500K per annum, currently with LAG), Ozzie Ardiles and Cabralzinho (CSA looked at his resume and didn't even bother calling him - idiots).

Others I would consider realistic if someone competent were doing the hiring and were willing to pay more than the minimal amount Hart is earning:

Hernan Dario Gomez - Formerly coached Colombia and Ecuador, also coached Guatemala so has CONCACAF exp. On the downside he hits women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hern%C3%A1n_Dar%C3%ADo_G%C3%B3mez

Francisco Maturana - Coached in Spain, also coached the NT's of Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and also has CONCACAF exp. with Costa Rica and T&T.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Maturana

Nelson Acosta - Former Chilean NT coach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Acosta

Alexandre Guimaraes - Former Costa Rica and Panama coach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Guimar%C3%A3es

There are likely dozens of other candidates you could probably dig up from all over SA and Europe (like ex-Slovenian coach Prosnikar that Grizzly mentioned in another thread), and if you want to start getting a little less realistic and reaching for bigger names then i'd throw out Leo Beenhaker, Ricardo Lavolpe, Carlos Bianchi, Radomir Antic, Jose Pekerman, etc.

Thanks - a very thorough explanation!

The problem with Dos Santos is his lack of passion. I hate a coach that seems like a statue. I have seasons tickets close to the bench, and there was no difference whether we were winning 3-1 or losing 4-0. Limniatis, there is someone with passion. Garbage cans need to kicked every once in a while.

Archived