Canadians abroad: October 21-27, 2011

Carling Cup

Blackburn (Hoilett) 2 - 0 Newcastle after 70 min.

Hoilett started but I'm not sure which position he's playing, as he usually plays in midfield but I see him listed as a forward.

EDIT: Blackburn wins 4 - 3. The match ended in ET. Hoilett played 120 minutes and received a yellow card.

Thanks Oranje for confirming Hoilett's position.

Edited by canucklefan

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/brisbaneroar/news-display/q-and-a-with-issey-nakajima-farran/42041

Interesting interview with Issey, whose team has been on fire in the A-League, and whose play for the best team in Australia has been getting generally very positive reviews. He mentions at one point that he would like to get back into the CMNT picture but he's not sure that the A-league will help him in that respect due to the sheer distances involved.

Tosaint Ricketts scored a goal today in Politehnica Timisoara's Romanian Cup 2:0 win against Steaua Bucharest and gave an assist for the second goal of the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QrKaea9XQ

He played 70 minutes before being substituted.

The team is now qualified for the quarterfinal of the Romanian Cup, despite playing in Liga 2 after being relegated last year due to financial reasons.

Edited by ogni
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/brisbaneroar/news-display/q-and-a-with-issey-nakajima-farran/42041

Interesting interview with Issey, whose team has been on fire in the A-League, and whose play for the best team in Australia has been getting generally very positive reviews. He mentions at one point that he would like to get back into the CMNT picture but he's not sure that the A-league will help him in that respect due to the sheer distances involved.

Round 4 of the A League starts tonight. I've been on holiday for the first 3 rounds so haven't been able to watch many games, thus far. From this week, I'll try to watch all of the Brisbane matches on TV and post updates on Issey's performance. I'm a member of Melbourne Heart, as well. When the Roar come down to play us or Victory, I'll be at the games live. I'll start an 'Issey Down Under' thread after tonight's match.

Anyone wanna put themselves out there as to how the A-League would stack up against the 3rd Bundesliga (is that about the level of the final spots or just barely not cutting it for our full squad?). From a purely video game stand point I'd imagine it's better so he might be worth a call up again if it's possible (probably have to be more then one match), of course he was saying it takes 28 hours but in the gold cup, or if we needed more offense in a couple future round WCQ maybe he'd be worth the call? (you'd feel like a huge douche though if he didn't see the pitch)

btw, anyone know how good the league in Singapore is? it's a small country but if their paying guys and bringing in imports it's probably not terribly either?

Anyone wanna put themselves out there as to how the A-League would stack up against the 3rd Bundesliga (is that about the level of the final spots or just barely not cutting it for our full squad?). From a purely video game stand point I'd imagine it's better so he might be worth a call up again if it's possible (probably have to be more then one match), of course he was saying it takes 28 hours but in the gold cup, or if we needed more offense in a couple future round WCQ maybe he'd be worth the call? (you'd feel like a huge douche though if he didn't see the pitch)

btw, anyone know how good the league in Singapore is? it's a small country but if their paying guys and bringing in imports it's probably not terribly either?

I don't think you'd feel like a douche, Issey obviously knows he has to fight for minutes. I'd like to see him called again, Issey is easily one of our top 5 technical players imo and actually takes on his man, something that few players seem willing/able to do.

It's always great to hear comments like those from Issey ... and it's always nice to have more depth, especially in terms of players who are interested in creating offensively. It would be hard for him to play in November, I imagine, but maybe next summer when his club season is over?

I have sort of a random question for the group that maybe someone can help me with: Will Atiba Harris be back for St.Kitts against us next month? Not that I'm worried, but he'd obviously be their most dangerous player ...

Tosaint Ricketts scored a goal today in Politehnica Timisoara's Romanian Cup 2:0 win against Steaua Bucharest and gave an assist for the second goal of the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QrKaea9XQ

He played 70 minutes before being substituted.

The team is now qualified for the quarterfinal of the Romanian Cup, despite playing in Liga 2 after being relegated last year due to financial reasons.

Steaua are the current holders of the trophy - so it's a pretty big win for Poli and Ricketts.

An interview in Romanian:

http://liga2.prosport.ro/seria-2/cupa/rickitelli-a-sarbatorit-on-line-golul-cu-steaua-cel-mai-important-8915510

I have sort of a random question for the group that maybe someone can help me with: Will Atiba Harris be back for St.Kitts against us next month? Not that I'm worried, but he'd obviously be their most dangerous player ...

Atiba Harris practiced for the Whitecaps today but only briefly and was seen getting a good talking-to from the physiotherapists. Apparently he isn't anywhere near game shape.