Canadians abroad: October 14-20, 2011

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for October 14-20, 2011.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

- Hirschfeld went right back to work as he earned a clean sheet in Valerenga's 3-0 win over Viking. With the win they are second in the table.

- Alex Marello started on the bench for Veendam as they drew TOP/Oss 4-4 in Holland's Eerste Divisie

- Frank Jonke started and was subbed out in the 59th minute of Inter Turku's 3-2 loss to Jaro in Finland.

- Issey started for the Brisbane Roar in front of a crowd of 15,000 in Sydney as the beat Brett Emerton's Sydney FC 2-0. He was subbed out in the 69th min, just before the second goal was scored. He seems to be playing a right wing position similar to Simpson's LW at Manisaspor.

- Haber starts on the bench, but comes in for injured Sheridan after 20 min as St. Johnstone beat ICT 2-0 in their SPL clash.

- Jackson is still cemented to the bench as his Norwich made all three subs and are leading Swansea 3-1.

- Edgar started as Burnley host Reading. Heartbreak for Burnley, though, as Reading scored in the eighth minute of injury time to win 1-0.

- Hume out (perhaps the niggling injury although only the international travel is mentioned in the reports) as PNE are away to Walsall. Says he has been playing behind the front two strikers this season. Also this bit in the local Preston news:

"Striker Iain Hume has been short-listed for the 2011 Championship Player of the Year at the North West Football Awards. He scored 12 goals in North End’s unsuccessful bid to beat the drop last season."

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/testing_games_ahead_for_pne_1_3874612

- Borjan starting on the bench for Sivasspor vs Gaziantepspor today in Turkey. (Thanks, Grizz)

- No Uccello for Crotone who beat Gubbio 2-1 in Serie B.

- Strangely enough, no Ricketts at all for Poli Timisoara as they lost 1-0 to Luceafarul Oradea.

- Jackson is still cemented to the bench as his Norwich made all three subs and are leading Swansea 3-1.

- Borjan expected to start for Sivasspor vs Gaziantepspor later today in Turkey.

In Jackson's favour despite the 3 goals from Norwich none of them were from the strikers, which has been pretty much the story all season for Norwich. Most of their lineup seems to be chipping in an odd goal but the strikers haven't been producing.

Borjan is the backup for Sivaspor today.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2011/10/no-regrets-hainault-after-goal-and-win

I am posting this for my son as i know it came with a lot of thaught to refuse a call-up from our National team. Andrew has never refused to play for his nation even if it meant flying 10-20 hours in a given day or two then return back to club duty. Many people have no idea what kind of dedication he puts into his trade and to hear stupid comments from (of all people) Craig Forest about how he refused the call without any explanation to why he stayed with Houston. As if HE would have commited to Canada over Ipswitch if they were fighting for a relegation spot back in the day to represent Canada in a qualifier that should have been easily won with or without him. We have always supported Andrew in representing Canada at any level but after discussing this on the phone with him for over an hour, I think his decision was the right one and was needed more in Texas than he was in TO. Dont judge my 25 yr old kid if you dont know him, if Houston was qualified for a playoff spot, he would have been at both st-lucia and PR.

As a staunch supporter of Canada's national soccer team, I can honestly tell you that I had no hard feelings at all toward Andre. I completely agree, he has always been there for Canada when needed! Anyone who questions that is crazy. I think some people were just a little surprised because he has always been there ... but, really, no hard feelings. In fact, when I heard the news, I thought, ok, that's totally fine, as long as he isn't saying that he no longer wants to play with the national team going forward. If he's committed to us going forward, I completely understand him wanting to get his team into the playoffs! And I was very happy, as I'm sure all Canadian soccer fans were, to see him score vs. Portland!

http://www.houstondynamo.com/news/2011/10/no-regrets-hainault-after-goal-and-win

As if HE would have commited to Canada over Ipswitch if they were fighting for a relegation spot back in the day to represent Canada in a qualifier that should have been easily won with or without him. .

I don't think anyone hear was questioning him.

However, I find it ironic that you are calling out Mr Forrest all the while putting words in his mouth.

I am posting this for my son as i know it came with a lot of thaught to refuse a call-up from our National team. Andrew has never refused to play for his nation even if it meant flying 10-20 hours in a given day or two then return back to club duty.

First off. Congrats for getting the name Canada on this board. I would have thought the name would have been taken many years ago given the type of board this is.

Second, maybe you feel the need to get this off your chest, however I cannot recall anyone on this board critizing Andrew for not coming to the last round of qualifiers. Everyone here understands that players have committments to their clubs and when their clubs are in a difficult situation they may need to reject the call for their country (especially in a non-critical situation). IMO, This is something you should be on Craig Forrest's twitter account to let him know how you feel.

Cheers for coming on though and let Andrew know all Canadian supports are backing him and his continual development as a player.

as long as Andrew slots in at RB for the next two if able (please Hart play him at RB) all will be forgiven. But, like these other guys said no one here had any beef with for staying with his club for important games anyway. We have so few high quality players it is important to have everyone happy and ready to rock for the red and white.

Canada, nice to have you on board. I think you'll find most of the people here have supported Andrew over the years, and understood his club team commitment and also his loyalty to Canada. We all know it is a balancing act and I think most can distinguish the Atibas from the Hoiletts.

But here's some free advice. Parents coming on this board and posting about their kids invariably comes to an unhappy ending. They cannot separate their child's career from their child being their child (and wanting to protect them). When confronted with criticism (even a small justifiable amount) the parent goes into protect mode and that doesn't often reflect well on the parent or the child.

There are some jerks (very few) here and elsewhere who will criticize anything and if you don't know that, you don't know to take them with a grain of salt.

The ideal posting from parents tells the group here news about their child and reserves judgment about their career and coaches etc. Even the most patient parent posting here can have trouble with someone criticizing their child as we have all seen.

So, welcome, let us know all the Andrew news, and do your best to ignore the sometime critical posts.

Just so we are clear, i lost my previous login "CDN4EVR" and have been posting for years. As for Craigs comments...min 40 of the game. I'm also a big man with big shoulders and can take critisism of my boys, all 4, without taking it personally. I have been Andrews bigest critic and that since he was 12. Anyways thank you all for support and know that the "V's" have always been behind him and know that this post was not directed at this group and just wanted to show what he did this week.

Go Canada.

Canada/CDN4EVR, just pass along our support to Andrew. I do not want him to confuse the fans with Craig. We are behind Andrew! It's not that I don't like Craig, but I don't have to agree with everything he says.

Also, I should say that this is all perhaps partially due to a nervy psyche when it comes to our national team. We have been burned so many times (**********, Begovic, Bunbury, JDG2, maybe Hoilett, etc.) that every time one of our best players doesn't play for us, even for 1 or 2 games, we start to sweat! I was even worried when Olivier didn't come to the first 2 WCQs ... was he really injured, or was there something else going on? What about DeJong, he hasn't played in any WCQ yet. It's a sort of paranoia that I/we have to try to avoid. Hopefully if/when more players show their dedication to our national team the way Andrew has, we will start to feel more secure (not sure if that's the right work) about ourselves.

But let's not forget that we're all on the same side here, including Craig, you, Andrew, myself, and everyone else on this forum. In-fighting does us no good!

VAddonna, i couldn't agree with you more and have nothing against Craig, we actually spoke a while in Boston durring the gold cup at Gilette Stadium and here in montreal. Just feel it was uncalled for durring the game to rag on him beacause he wasn't there or perhaps as Joe M said, i may have taken it as an personal attack on Andre and parents feel compelled to stand up for their kid. Trust me Andrew would/will give me crap if he were to read this as he doesn't like the attention. As for andrew playing injured...there is always something hurting but has never refused to play because of it, he rests his body in the off season.

These are difficult situations in which players have to choose whether to be loyal to their employer or their national team. I think in the case of a player like Hainault who has always shown up until now we have to give him a bit of slack and believe him if he says he has some injuries he needs to heal and does not want to exacerbate before an important club match. Of course in the next round it will be a bit different and very important that everyone who is able to come does. However, the big error Hainault made was probably in being honest about why he was not coming. He was certainly not the only player who did not come for similar reasons. Indeed, I think McKenna was in the exact same situation. He originally agreed to come but aggravated a minor injury in his last game for Koln. The injury was legit but I am pretty sure he could have played if he had to. However, Koln has major problems with injuries in their defence right now and if McKenna were to go out they would really be screwed so I am pretty sure they asked him not to go. He is slated to start their match tomorrow. Occean did the same thing in our first two games, not coming to rest a minor injury but then starting the next club game and Borjan was also on the bench today for his club.

MLS does not make things easier by not respecting FIFA dates (though they are improving in this regard) but the fact that Houson did not have a direct conflict unlike DCU for example made Hainault an easy target. Plus, he was an easy target for Forrest since he is a young player and they never played together. I suspect Forrest would be a lot more reticent about criticizing McKenna than he was about doing that with Hainault even though it was essentially the same situation. Forrest was a great player for us but is very disappointing as a television commentator. I like someone with opinions but his so often add little to the game commentary and are often very inaccurate. It seems he is always saying something like "That foul was a homer call by the ref" while they are showing the replay which often shows the exact opposite, ie. a real foul.

Again one also has to note that the situation was exacerbated by Hart not calling a lineup in which there was adequate cover for every position. Funny how Forrest did not mention that. This round I am fine with giving a few regulars some slack in staying with their club and not risking aggravating injuries (which is also not good for us). Even with some 2nd choice players we can beat the teams in this round. However, next round it gets serious and the top players have to show up for every game if they are able.

Agreed - and Congrats on Andre getting the winner. I remember a few games Forest missed due to big FA cup games etc., which makes sense, under even bigger circumstances, so what's the difference. What's more, no admission during the broadcast that "sometimes" exceptions are made.

What baffles me if how, given how DeRo and DC are close to playoffs, he wasn't given a pass on the second game. As it turns out, he missed the trip to Vancouver and DC lost out there. Olsen might be a bit annoyed about that....

I gotta admit I found it a bit ridiculous when Forrest used DeRo as some sort of example of loyalty to the national team. Dero quit on the team in 2008 in the middle of qualifying when the games actually mattered. That's a million times worse.

Yes those were my thoughts exactly. During the broadcast they kept on harping about what a great leader DeRo was for the team but conveniently forgot to mention him abandoning the team during the last WCQ. A lot of hypocrisy going on in Forrest's game commentary.

Archived