Jordan Webb - Hougang's Record Scorer

nolando

By CHRISTOPHER UNDERWOOD

chrisund@sph.com.sg

TWO YEARS ago, he came to Singapore to visit a cousin. Today, Jordan Webb is Hougang United’s record scorer in a single season. And he didn’t even know it.

“Me?” asked the puzzled-looking 23-year-old forward from Canada. “No, I didn’t know that.” What was supposed to be a holiday in Singapore turned into the start of his S-League career. Through cousin Anthony Bahadur, who was then playing for Sengkang-Punggol (Hougang’s former name), Webb asked to train with the team. Coach Aide Iskandar agreed, and immediately noticed the potential.

Aide recalled: “I saw something in him that made me think he could be moulded into a good player.” Webb didn’t take too long to convince the coach that he was ready for action.

After training with the team for three months,it took just two games for the Canadian to secure his first professional contract.

Said Webb: “I was surprised but, at the same time, I was confident I would get it.

“I wanted it badly.” The hunger showed. Scoring 16 goals in all competitions this season – his second for Hougang – he has found the net more times than any other Cheetah in one campaign. Yet, Aide is quick to point out that Webb is

capable of improving on his tally.

He said of Webb: “I know what he can do. I know he can deliver if he remains focused

and he is more confident in his ability.”

Webb had to endure a difficult first season though.

He scored just four goals as the team finished second from bottom.

“My first season was bad. We didn’t have the quality players like we have this year and it was really difficult,” said Webb,who prior to this, had played only amateur football back home.

“It was my first season as a professional.” By “quality players”, he was referring to players such as Mohd Noor Ali.

“It’s Noor Ali,” he said.

“At first, I didn’t really see eye-to-eye with him.Then I realised he’s a really nice guy.

“He plays in my position as well. He knows

a lot. Whenever I do the wrong thing, he’ll

teach me.He shows me the right way.

“He has really helped me.” As far as his mentor is concerned, Webb’s progress is obvious.

“Jordan has improved a lot,” said Noor Ali. “He used to be more of an individual player. Now he is improving by working together with his teammates. That is one reason he is

scoring a lot of goals.”

The 36-year-old added: “He has started to listen more now, instead of going against us.”

One only has to witness the banter between the pair to see the camaraderie within the camp.

As the veteran midfielder revealed: “He’s not a joker, he’s the one who always gets bullied.

“The only bad thing about him is his ambition to be the next Neymar (the Brazilian striker). That’s why he has that skunk hairstyle.”

Webb, however, will probably deny that it’s the hairstyle that is the secret behind his success.

“It’s the team that makes me better,” he said.

http://www.singaporepools.com.sg/en/downloads/statscentre/270911_ROAR.pdf

• 1 month later...

Archived