Qualifier locations up to Hart

Keegan

http://the11.ca/2011/09/26/womens-teams-to-play-high-profile-friendlies-at-wwc-venues-mens-qualifiers-left-up-to-harts-discretion/

The goods:

Victor Montagliani, the CSA’s vice president, said that, like never before, the coach will be given power to determine where the qualifiers are played. Ensuring Canada has the best chance to secure three points is the major criteria. So, if Canada is playing a Central American nation in November, it may want to look at staging the game in as cold a place as possible.

“In the past, we haven’t done it that way,” he said. “But, if we need the three points, we’ll play in the Yukon.”

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is incredible. Although the weather should be considered, even more than that should be away and home support IMO.

Playing in Saint John's, for example, is not only about having crappy weather, but also about being a place which is expensive to go to for fans of other national teams, as well as being a place with a very low amount of people who would prefer to cheer on "the old country" than Canada.

This is incredible. Although the weather should be considered, even more than that should be away and home support IMO.

Playing in Saint John's, for example, is not only about having crappy weather, but also about being a place which is expensive to go to for fans of other national teams, as well as being a place with a very low amount of people who would prefer to cheer on "the old country" than Canada.

I think that's key, making it a trek for the opposition. Instead of "hey, it's a beautiful september saturday let's drive the whole family up from New York to Montreal!" it will be "uuuh.. St. Johns? I'll find a stream"

St. John's is the best as good portions of the away support might end up in St. John as in 1985 vs Honduras. Almost as confusing as RoughRiders vs Roughriders.

St. John's has to be one of the best options, and not because I live there.

It has become more multicultural recently but it is still a very anglo canadian place. No professional sports aside from the new AHL team. The weather is not as bad as some people think that it is though, I doubt that september and october are alot different than in ontario or quebec, but november it may be (wet cold weather is more uncomfortable than dry cold weather). Today for example it was 13 degrees.

I think the strength for St. John's would be more about a pro-canadian crowd than advantageous weather, though you may get both.

Also important, I noticed at the Womans Canada vs China friendly that the small Chinese crowd (maybe 30 people) actually sang and chanted and waved big flags and in a way had more of a presence than the remaining 5970 Canadian fans. Newfoundlanders support soccer like hockey (sitting on there butts, with an ocasional "GO CANADA GO"). But IF we had...lets say ...we had 50-100 V's come from the mainland and set up a supporter section, I could easily see the rest of the fans joining in. Newfoundlanders are not shy people, we are just virgins when it comes to being soccer fans (from a "supporter" standpoint of course).

I don't see 50-100 V's being a problem, I think we could get a lot more than that actually if we keep the ball rolling in Toronto then we could arrange some buses. What venue would they use in St. John's? Would the pitch be up to the standard Hart needs it to be for us to play the game he wants?

I don't see 50-100 V's being a problem, I think we could get a lot more than that actually if we keep the ball rolling in Toronto then we could arrange some buses. What venue would they use in St. John's? Would the pitch be up to the standard Hart needs it to be for us to play the game he wants?

If it was in St. John's, it would likely be King George V Park (the park where we officially qualified for the 1986 WC). Capacity can go up to 11,000 I believe.

The venue would be KGV

6,000 seat stadium with field turf which was maybe installed 2007. Bleacher style seating with a south stand, an east stand, and a west stand. North side of the stadium has the player benches and the electronic scoreboard. The complex also has a club house, washrooms, dressing rooms, and a canteen. It is located on the boarder of downtown St. John's and maybe a 2km walk from the famous "George street" (club/bar district). I think the last international hosted there was the Canada-China woman's family.

If it was in St. John's, it would likely be King George V Park (the park where we officially qualified for the 1986 WC). Capacity can go up to 11,000 I believe.

That is correct, we have jammed 10,000 people into that place before. The 2002 Challenge cup final between St. Lawrence Laurentians and Sons of Italy (Winnipeg) had about that much, plus a BIG beer tent.

I also liked this line, "And Hart will be asked to schedule games that will be as miserable for the opposition as possible."

Had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April Fools. Finally we are coming around when it comes to location. I would love to see the men's team return to St. John's if we have to. Have Danny Williams leading the cheers on a megaphone to the supporters section...I mean, the whole stadium.

St John's would be an awesome choice. 99% Home support. Newfoundlanders also aren't afraid to get behind their teams. A Canadian Mens World Cup qualifier would be a big deal in St John's. I think it would be packed. It makes so much sense to me that I have no doubt the game will be played in Toronto or Montreal instead.

This is all fine and dandy and posters have made some valid points about climate and long travel from opposition support and it's great Hart has been given some say here! I would be very surprised if Canada was to play any home match on Field Turf though after the *****ing and moaning after the Canada vs Jamaica match on FT at BMO! This limits our options considerably!

This is all fine and dandy and posters have made some valid points about climate and long travel from opposition support and it's great Hart has been given some say here! I would be very surprised if Canada was to play any home match on Field Turf though after the *****ing and moaning after the Canada vs Jamaica match on FT at BMO! This limits our options considerably!

The Field turf at Commonwealth is apparently sanctioned by FIFA. So Jamaicas moaning about it would be irrelevant. Also Edmonton in late October mid November? I think the Field would be the least of their concerns.

The Field turf at Commonwealth is apparently sanctioned by FIFA. So Jamaicas moaning about it would be irrelevant. Also Edmonton in late October mid November? I think the Field would be the least of their concerns.

Er, it wasn't the Jamaicans who were moaning about the artificial turf.

Cold just isn't the impediment to play that heat is.

They are not even remotely proportional, and I think it's impact is terribly overstated.

Playing in humidity, altitude, heat... when you are not used to it is a very different story.

There's still an effect, though. That's the point, to get any little psychological advantage you can and run with it. Also, the presumably pro-Canadian crowd helps.

Remember last week when some of the Panamanian players on Tauro FC were wearing gloves at BMO Field even though it was 20 degrees at kickoff in the CCL match? You don't think a 5 degree day will get into their (or their fellow Central American/Caribbean) heads just a little bit?

Archived