Canadians abroad: September 16-22, 2011

DJT

Mason Trafford and Luca Bellisomo played 90 minutes for IFK Mariehamn today when the islanders lost at home against TPS. Roope Riski (on loan from Cesena) scored a hat-trick for the Turku based club.

Josh Wicks also played the whole match, but didn't impress according to reports.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Sivasspor won their first match without Borjan, who was excluded due to the red card, a 2-1 win away to Ankaragucu.

Let's hope the red card doesn't cost Borjan his starting position. It was a poor decision on his part because he got two yellows from the ref for complaining about the same incident, a goal scored against him that he thought was offside. The ref of that match was poor but once you get one yellow for complaining you need to maintain some discipline.

On the other hand beating Ankaragucu is not much of a surprise, Kluka's former club is in complete turmoil and will likely finish in last place this season if they even manage to finish the season. Their is a power struggle for the presidency, they have no money and have not paid the players for a long time, most of the players have been set free from contractual obligations and many have left the club already and they also lost their training facilities.

Sivaspor is not in great shape either as they were also heavily involved in the fixed games scandal. In fact, one of the reasons they signed Borjan is they needed a keeper because his predecessor is currently in prison! Like several other clubs including powerhouse Fenerbahce, they face a real possibility of being relegated this year regardless of where they finish in the table when the results of the inquiry are released.

While Kluka made a good decision to transfer to Manisaspor, even there things are not all rosy. Apparently the reason for their offseason coaching change was that the coach of last year got fed up with the club not always paying him and quit.

Nakajima-Farran's Brisbane Roar lose 3-0 in exhibition to Adelaide. Issey goes 90, singled out by coach for praise.

“Post-match, Postecoglou highlighted the contributions of his new foreign players with newcomers Issey Nakajima-Farran and Mohammed Adnan particularly impressive.”

(http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=41003)

Heh, I took Gateshead to the Championship on one of my Careers in Football Manager 2009. Fun times. Got immediately relegated to League 1 and fired. I guess back to back to back to back promotions with a team doesn't ensure job security.

I have the same problem, with a decent amount of player knowledge (and knowing immigration rules in the game) you can really kill it for a few years but eventually your left a little out of your depth and horribly endeared to your guys. The only way I ever kept it going was by selling most of my stars every season for like twice their already inflated value and buying more bargains appropriate to the new leagues, having good prospects really helps too.

FYI, I don't have this years version (won't work on my computer) but I do know the 'select all canadians' feature is there even though it initially looked like it wasn't (I do remember eventually finding it). You might turn up a real player when you look at the list of players under contract (I usually write up a quick list and see if I can confirm it on the teams website). -sorry it's super off topic, I figured it'd be okay in a weeks past abroad thread for a moment

I have the same problem, with a decent amount of player knowledge (and knowing immigration rules in the game) you can really kill it for a few years but eventually your left a little out of your depth and horribly endeared to your guys. The only way I ever kept it going was by selling most of my stars every season for like twice their already inflated value and buying more bargains appropriate to the new leagues, having good prospects really helps too.

FYI, I don't have this years version (won't work on my computer) but I do know the 'select all canadians' feature is there even though it initially looked like it wasn't (I do remember eventually finding it). You might turn up a real player when you look at the list of players under contract (I usually write up a quick list and see if I can confirm it on the teams website). -sorry it's super off topic, I figured it'd be okay in a weeks past abroad thread for a moment

I never buy players on transfers, and i sell them almost 100% of the time when I get offers.

Players acquired on frees are cheaper and more effective. Also, Loan = winning.

I never buy players on transfers, and i sell them almost 100% of the time when I get offers.

Players acquired on frees are cheaper and more effective. Also, Loan = winning.

I usually only loan guys with an intent to buy (or if I having a glaring weakpoint just before the window closes) so we clearly have two different systems. I usually don't pay much (theirs a tonne of bargains in the game) so if you sell a guy for a million or two, paying 120 000 over free isn't to bad. I'm usually a bit of stickler with my sales, I often set (I know it sometimes upset's players) asking prices, ala fiorentina, on non transfer listed players for about 2 or 3 times their value, then just wait for someone to pony up the cash (the rest of the interested teams usually do when one team does). To be fair though I usually don't do any better then you describe but one or two times I sold like all my valuable veterans each season and promoted my youthful bench (and a few more bargains) each year and the result was a better team every year (if I recall I got bored after surviving the premiership, after two years in championship and back to back to back promotions from blue square premier).

Archived