Sportsnet and the Canadian Soccer Association Renew Partnership with 5-Year Agreement

djcuse

Sportsnet and the Canadian Soccer Association Renew Partnership with Five-Year Agreement

TORONTO (September 14, 2011) – Rogers Sportsnet and the Canadian Soccer Association today have announced a new five-year agreement, which features exclusive multiplatform media coverage for Canada’s Men’s and Women’s National Soccer Team matches.

In addition to select home and away international friendly matches for Canada’s Men’s and Women’s National Teams, Sportsnet will also broadcast Canada’s 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ Qualifiers matches.

This renewal extends Sportsnet’s long-standing partnership with the Canadian Soccer Association, which dates back to 1999.

"We are very proud to continue our partnership with the Canadian Soccer Association and strengthen our commitment to growing the sport of soccer in Canada," Navaid Mansuri, Vice-President of Finance & Sports Programming, Rogers Media. “Our new agreement allows us to offer fans every opportunity to tune into Canadian matches live wherever they choose to watch."

“The Canadian Soccer Association is pleased that we will continue our relationship with Rogers Sportsnet in bringing the beautiful game to Canadians from coast-to-coast,” stated Peter Montopoli, Canadian Soccer Association General Secretary. “We are committed to creating opportunities for Canada’s teams to play at home and abroad and look forward to working closely with Rogers Sportsnet to ensure that these matches are available to as many Canadians as possible.”

Canada’s next 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ Qualifiers broadcast is on Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. (ET)/4 p.m. (PT) against Puerto Rico from BMO Field in Toronto on Sportsnet ONE.

For all the scores, highlights, breaking news and inside stories, tune in to Sportsnet Connected and visit www.sportsnet.ca.

"We are very proud to continue our partnership with the Canadian Soccer Association and strengthen our commitment to growing the sport of soccer in Canada," Navaid Mansuri, Vice-President of Finance & Sports Programming, Rogers Media. “Our new agreement allows us to offer fans every opportunity to tune into Canadian matches live wherever they choose to watch."

Devil is in the details.

Being ever the optimist I'm going to hope the above bolded portions mean to indicate we all will be able to see Canada's future matches, live, with greater regularity than has been the case at times in the past.

I'm not suggesting broadcast across the whole sports family over at SportsNet, I'd take one digital channel so long as it's available coast to coast.

But I'm also assuming the CSA will do it's part as well. Regularily lining up opponents and ensuring broadcasts rights and fees (where required) will be made available to SportsNet at an affordable rate.

I for one do get Sportsnet One through Shaw Cable at home, but we do not at work on basic cable...I think if Sportsnet is really keen on their multi-media, multi-platform coverage, they'll start streaming the games online as well, as apparently a lot of folks don't have Sportsnet One, and only get the local Sportsnet channel.

Devil is in the details.

Being ever the optimist I'm going to hope the above bolded portions mean to indicate we all will be able to see Canada's future matches, live, with greater regularity than has been the case at times in the past.

I'm not suggesting broadcast across the whole sports family over at SportsNet, I'd take one digital channel so long as it's available coast to coast.

But I'm also assuming the CSA will do it's part as well. Regularily lining up opponents and ensuring broadcasts rights and fees (where required) will be made available to SportsNet at an affordable rate.

Yes, the devil is in the details. Or what is not in the details. What they dont say is that the games will be shown on the main networks and not on Setanta. Setanta costs something like an additional 13.99$ per month by itself. For example they moved some of the Concacaf champions league games (eg.: TFC vs Tauro next week) off to Setanta.

CSA needs to get the Nats the hell off of RSN and on to TSN.

Now, back to reality...

This deal is good, and hopefully it will mean more matches on the main networks and not shuffled to RSN1 or Setanta (although Setanta wouldn't be the end either).

Five more years of not having World Cup Qualifiers and high profile friendlies broadcast.

EVERYONE REJOICE!

Is it really that bad? From my recent memory, the only matches that weren't broadcast were that friendly in Macedonia which was in some ghetto ass high school stadium in some tiny town, the closed friendly in Turkey against Belarus where there weren't even any fans, and the Poland one. Poland one probably should have been broadcast as I'm sure the infrastructure was there and it was relatively high profile.

I can't really fault them for not showing 2 of the away games this WCQ round considering the locations...

Five more years of not having World Cup Qualifiers and high profile friendlies broadcast.

EVERYONE REJOICE!

A lot of short memories here. Before SN came on board no one would have ever dreamed or even dared expect a friendly to be televised. I think that there were many if not most canada Wcq games never televised. And the Gold cup? Nobody had even heard of it. U20 and U17 matches? Ha ha ha Are you kidding me!

I recall when TSN used to hold the rights to soccer (Before their recent deal with MLS). And the situation was far far far worst, they only cared about the world cup and promoting the hyped up euro national sides. Plus we had to put up with Vic Rauter who didnt really understand soccer.

I am not defending or shilling SN here and i too want to see every canada game but you have to admitt that they are one of the big reasons for what soccer has become in canada. Three pro clubs selling out their joint, people wearing soccerr jerseys in public and not being considered a nerd, soccer getting mainstream new s coveerage, people knowing who Wayne Rooney or Lionel messi is .....etc. I honestly believe that with out the arrival of sportsnet and them looking for programming and getting the rights to EPL and canada international matches, soccer would still be in the wilderness in canada. Like we were in nineties and early part of the last decade.

Tsn did nothing for the sport in canada, and if anything, it ran it to ground by stereotyping it (ie.: was for the people with accents). I suspect that there are too many here who lack perpsctive on this topic due to their age.

In 2008, 6 of our 8 games were shown live on Sportsnet. Only the SVG away game and the meaningless game in Jamaica weren't available. I think some here don't know what they are complaining about.

Sportsnet has done a good job for the MNT. Of course they hope the team will get more attention from the fans but we have to stop expecting them to grow the team popularity by showing every friendly we play. 99 % of that possible grow is on the team itself, get results in WCQ and we'll have more people on board and all the games will be avaible, until then we have to deal with the current situation which is good if you take into consideration the results our team has gotten in the last few years.

I should add That before SN acquired the rights, i dont recall ever seeing Canada in WCQ matches unless it was the in the hex.

Edit.: Without Sportsnet, few would have known about our Gold cup triumph in 2000. And without that win, how many people would be here at this forum? Or, would voyageurs even exist?

In 2008, 6 of our 8 games were shown live on Sportsnet. Only the SVG away game and the meaningless game in Jamaica weren't available. I think some here don't know what they are complaining about.

Sportsnet has done a good job for the MNT. Of course they hope the team will get more attention from the fans but we have to stop expecting them to grow the team popularity by showing every friendly we play. 99 % of that possible grow is on the team itself, get results in WCQ and we'll have more people on board and all the games will be avaible, until then we have to deal with the current situation which is good

if you take into consideration the results our team has gotten in the last few years.

Yes, and to be clear, i too want to every game televised. But at the same time, i cant complain too loadly ic they chose to not show a friendly such as Canada Estonia or canada libya.

Free Kick I hate to have a go at you, but man I have to disagree . . .

I’m not trying to hate on Sportsnet. I am very glad they cover the national team. I wish they did more, invested more, but they invest some and they give us a lot of games. So I thank them for that.

That being said . . .TSN showed the 96 Gold Cup for sure. And I’m sure they would have showed the 98 Gold Cup had we been there. They didn’t show 93, but they had just shown six WCQ in six weeks. Maybe an excuse, but they'd just traveled to El Salvador, Mexico and Honduras, maybe a little much to ask them to go back to Mexico.

Without Sportsnet few would know about our Gold Cup triumph?! How do you figure? Sportsnet showed the Gold Cup qualifiers for 2000 and I give them a lot of credit for that. That being said, they missed the first 25 minutes of the biggest Canadian win of the decade (if not more) because their previously scheduled program ran late.

TSN ran soccer into the ground? They showed a CSL game of the week FFS! At least in the first season or two and they showed the league until the bitter end. As a young kid having a chance to watch a weekly match was huge. In 1988 I couldn’t tell you who led Serie A in scoring or all of the starters for Liverpool, but I knew about 100 players in the CSL. At a time when there was almost no live soccer on TV (unless it was a World Cup year) there were domestic Canadian games on a lot.

As far as World Cup qualifying goes . . . in the 94 cycle TSN showed games before the hex because I remember Bunbury scoring a hat trick against a minnow . . . (wikipedia is my friend) and there it is: three goals in 35 minutes against Bermuda at Swangard. Either I am halucinating in technicolor or I watched that match on TV. Anybody with a better memory than me remember if they showed any of the away games in the SF round for 94? If they showed Bermuda I’m guessing they showed Jamaica and El Salvador at Swangard as well.

I could be wrong, but I also believe that TSN sent its crew to the away games. I know they didn’t go to the playoff in Australia, but beyond that if memory serves they were at the away games.

In the 1990 cycle we only played two qualifiers and they were both televised by CBC. CBC also televised the 1988 Seoul Olympic qualifiers.

As far as friendlies they didn’t show many, but they showed the Canada Cup and the Skydome Cup in the mid-90s and the Carabana Cup. That was pretty easy for them because they were here, but seeing non-WCQ wasn’t unheard of. They obviously showed all of the pre-94 World Cup friendlies (except maybe Morocco?).

So sure you could say that maybe TSN didn’t show all of the semifinal round in the 94 cycle (and I’m not sure if they did or not, but they showed some of it and I’m pretty sure all of the home games), but, but . . . IT WAS 1992!

The only English club soccer we got was the FA Cup final and whatever game got the 30 minute treatment on Soccer Saturday. If I wanted to know how a Canadian was getting on in a foreign league I had to wait two weeks and see if he made the team sheet in the back of Shoot magazine.

Now if I set my PVR right I can watch every EPL match of the weekend, plus a couple of games from the Championship and who knows how many other leagues you’d care to name. Back in 1992 I think we got about 30 channels. Now Sportsnet alone has five of them. It’s a totally different world in every possible way when it comes to broadcasting sports.

We get under-21 friendlies, the entire U20 World Cup, you can watch Belize and the Cayman Islands play World Cup qualifiers.

If you look at the coverage every other league/competition in the world gets it’s moved forward exponentially in the last 20 years. If all of these other broadcasters can bring us all of this content, I don’t think I’m wrong for wishing that the coverage of the Canadian national team wasn’t a little better.

Sportsnet’s coverage is like a giant inbox. If it’s here we’ll probably see it. If it’s easy to grab a feed and it’s not too pricey they usually do it. If no one else is willing to pay to do better or secure the rights, then that’s where we are as a soccer nation. So I thank Sportsnet for at least doing what they’re doing. It could be worse. But man it could be a whole lot better.

I hate to rain on the Sportsnet love in but any network that buries it's World Cup Qualifying highlights behind shot putting and an England game is not real serious about Canadian Soccer! Add to the fact a TFC CCL match was tape delayed due to a baseball game involving 2 teams from United States on Sportsnet One! I suppose this agreement is good only for the fact that Sportsnet reaches many regions in our vast country although apparently SN1 is another story! Free Kick, how can you possibly slag Vic Rauter, his Mobiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiliooooooooooo calls were legendary!

Free Kick I hate to have a go at you, but man I have to disagree . . .

I’m not trying to hate on Sportsnet. I am very glad they cover the national team. I wish they did more, invested more, but they invest some and they give us a lot of games. So I thank them for that.

That being said . . .TSN showed the 96 Gold Cup for sure. And I’m sure they would have showed the 98 Gold Cup had we been there. They didn’t show 93, but they had just shown six WCQ in six weeks. Maybe an excuse, but they'd just traveled to El Salvador, Mexico and Honduras, maybe a little much to ask them to go back to Mexico.

Without Sportsnet few would know about our Gold Cup triumph?! How do you figure? Sportsnet showed the Gold Cup qualifiers for 2000 and I give them a lot of credit for that. That being said, they missed the first 25 minutes of the biggest Canadian win of the decade (if not more) because their previously scheduled program ran late.

TSN ran soccer into the ground? They showed a CSL game of the week FFS! At least in the first season or two and they showed the league until the bitter end. As a young kid having a chance to watch a weekly match was huge. In 1988 I couldn’t tell you who led Serie A in scoring or all of the starters for Liverpool, but I knew about 100 players in the CSL. At a time when there was almost no live soccer on TV (unless it was a World Cup year) there were domestic Canadian games on a lot.

As far as World Cup qualifying goes . . . in the 94 cycle TSN showed games before the hex because I remember Bunbury scoring a hat trick against a minnow . . . (wikipedia is my friend) and there it is: three goals in 35 minutes against Bermuda at Swangard. Either I am halucinating in technicolor or I watched that match on TV. Anybody with a better memory than me remember if they showed any of the away games in the SF round for 94? If they showed Bermuda I’m guessing they showed Jamaica and El Salvador at Swangard as well.

I could be wrong, but I also believe that TSN sent its crew to the away games. I know they didn’t go to the playoff in Australia, but beyond that if memory serves they were at the away games.

In the 1990 cycle we only played two qualifiers and they were both televised by CBC. CBC also televised the 1988 Seoul Olympic qualifiers.

As far as friendlies they didn’t show many, but they showed the Canada Cup and the Skydome Cup in the mid-90s and the Carabana Cup. That was pretty easy for them because they were here, but seeing non-WCQ wasn’t unheard of. They obviously showed all of the pre-94 World Cup friendlies (except maybe Morocco?).

So sure you could say that maybe TSN didn’t show all of the semifinal round in the 94 cycle (and I’m not sure if they did or not, but they showed some of it and I’m pretty sure all of the home games), but, but . . . IT WAS 1992!

The only English club soccer we got was the FA Cup final and whatever game got the 30 minute treatment on Soccer Saturday. If I wanted to know how a Canadian was getting on in a foreign league I had to wait two weeks and see if he made the team sheet in the back of Shoot magazine.

Now if I set my PVR right I can watch every EPL match of the weekend, plus a couple of games from the Championship and who knows how many other leagues you’d care to name. Back in 1992 I think we got about 30 channels. Now Sportsnet alone has five of them. It’s a totally different world in every possible way when it comes to broadcasting sports.

We get under-21 friendlies, the entire U20 World Cup, you can watch Belize and the Cayman Islands play World Cup qualifiers.

If you look at the coverage every other league/competition in the world gets it’s moved forward exponentially in the last 20 years. If all of these other broadcasters can bring us all of this content, I don’t think I’m wrong for wishing that the coverage of the Canadian national team wasn’t a little better.

Sportsnet’s coverage is like a giant inbox. If it’s here we’ll probably see it. If it’s easy to grab a feed and it’s not too pricey they usually do it. If no one else is willing to pay to do better or secure the rights, then that’s where we are as a soccer nation. So I thank Sportsnet for at least doing what they’re doing. It could be worse. But man it could be a whole lot better.

There was period in the early nineties where i had on and off access to TSN so i have to concede that i may have underestimated their coverage during that period. So you are probably right about them showing the 96 Gold cup. But freindlies? Unless it was a regularly scheduled event on canadian soil like the Canada cup (which was held in Edmonton every couple of year) there were no friendlies televised. They showed the freindlies canada played versus Holland and Germany in the weeks before the 1994 WC but i dont think the match versus Spain was televised. Bsicically, for friendlies, anything on canadian soil never anything abroad that I can recall. And the U20 matches involving Canada? i recall being very surprised at the time when i heard that Sportnets was going to show the U20 qualifying tournament in Victoria. We had grown accustomed and been conditioned not to expect U 20 Canada matches on television.

Another way in which i thought TSN drove the sport to the ground, was in how they handled UEFA champions leagues. They got lucky with the time diff between western Europe and Canada which allowed them to put a big event into a lousy ratings time slot and did nothing else for it as far as ivestment and resources. they just milked it. Eventually, No canadian content, no pre or post games commentary from canada. replays were at midnight even if there was garbage programming in primtime.

You are absolutely right about the agony and frustration that SN subjected us over the years in regards to delayed coverage due extra innings of meaningless ball games. And i would add one more personal frustration. And that is the delayed transmission of what are supposed to be live games. When I am watching live games, i like to believe its happening now, not 5-10 minutes ago. But on the other hand, bringing the EPL into Canadian living rooms was key to bringing soccer to a new level in canada as far as spectator sport. i dont have any emotional attachment to any EPL or EPL clubs. But exposing EPL to Canadian created a soccer culture in canada. before that soccer was mostly watched in cultral cafes. But exposure to EPL made people interested and yearning for the atmosphere and environment of the in stadium soccer experience. There is a new demographic in the stadiums as a result if you look at the the type of people who are following the MLS clubs these days. Soccer is cool sport, whereas that wasnt the case before.

I know that it is obsolete in this day and age but the TV show I miss the most is Soccer Saturday. Half an hour of UK programming, some clips of the EPL and maybe UK Tier 2, a piece highlighting one particularly league/country and then clips and updates on numerous leagues around the world - all in one package, weekly - just perfect.

I'd like to see more and learn more about different leagues, and keep up to date with their races. But I really don't want to watch more than 10 minutes of Brondby vs Nordsjaelland or Bellinonza's away tie at Young Boys or sift through through five minutes of Norwegian interviews on youtube or have to go find my own clips shows at each club's website or some foriegn TV station's clip page.

That show was instrumental in building my interest and knowledge of soccer. Since it's removal from the air, understandably so given Euro soccer going from niche to mainstream, the EPL on cable and the internet and all that, I have to say my interest in anything outside the Nats and maybe a bit in the UK has totally waned.

I think the next step for Sportsnet is to stream all the games on their website, so they are available to the people who don't have sportsnet one.

This is precisely what I got from the "Our new agreement allows us to offer fans every opportunity to tune into Canadian matches live wherever they choose to watch" comment. The general coverage will stay the same, but every match will probably be available on sportsnet.ca, which honestly isn't a horrible thing.

Also will help with the inevitable Blue Jay-related delays.

Terrible news. I guess I better start watch boreball..oops.. baseball because when we have an important match, I'll be able to watch a meaningless Blue Jays game instead. A quarter of a century ago it was better. All the qualifying matches were live on CBC. TSN didn't tape delay matches either in the 90's. I was hoping TSN would get it.

TSN did show the match against Spain in Montreal in 1994 - I know because I have it on tape somewhere. I think of the 5 pre-World Cup 1994 friendlies we played (vs. Morocco, Brazil, Germany, Spain and Holland - played over a crazy 9 day spell) the only one they didn't show was a 1-1 draw against Morocco (Canada's goal scored by Rudi Doliscat, trivia fans) which was the first one to be played. They also showed one of the Caribana Cup matches (if they showed the other, then I missed it) in 1995, both Canada Cup matches in 1995 and a pair of friendlies against Turkey that year (or possibly it was 1996). They also showed the two friendlies held against Portugal and Denmark at the Skydome in whatever year it was (1995? 1996? Can't remember)

However, there are were also a bunch of home friendlies that they didn't show in the mid 90's - vs. Portugal at Varsity Stadium in the summer of 1996 IIRC (it was actually an Olympic team friendly, though Canada had, like Portugal, a few vets, this was also Stalteri & De Rosario's first game and the two combined for Canada's equalizing goal in a 1-1 draw), vs. Costa Rica, vs. Iran and vs. Macedonia (the latter two Rogers cable television picked up). So they didn't show everything they could have, but neither was it the case that they showed nothing.

F

Yes, they showed all the semi-final round home games for 98 qualifying, and the 94 semi's as well. You can find links to the Bermuda hattrick in the Canada Video Archive thread, as I posted the footage of Bunbury's hat-trick from the TSN broadcast on youtube. Reminds me that I must get around to uploading more one of these days....

So the in 1990 cycle we got 2 of 2 games televised. In 1994 we got 11 of 14 games televised. Now in 2010 we got 6 of 8 and in this cycle we're looking at 4 of 6 and hopefully 10 of 12. In 20 years the number of qualifiers we get on television hasn't changed a whole lot, but everything else about how soccer is presented on TV and the options is completely different since then. That was my main point.

I agree that TSN didn't show many friendlies, but they did show some home friendlies. But again, they did so in an era when very little other soccer made it on TV.

I didn't realize those highlights were posted. Thanks G-L. Glad I'm not losing it. Nice goal by Aunger. Who knew? And man are those Bermuda kits hideous.

cheers,

matthew

Archived