TFC vs. Columbus [R]

shermanator

I was really pleased with JdG's play out there tonight, earning the winner and creating the icing on the cake goal for Koevermans, and generally doing what he does best: good linking play, close control, a couple of telling interventions in defence. I hope that's what we see through to the end of the year. It certainly bodes well not just for our MNT but also for his future at the club. I thought the team as whole played really well. Frings is total class: he lacks pace in some defensive situations but his composure and strength on the ball are vital. More importantly, he's elevated the play of many around him, including JdG.

Inevitably, somebody will nitpick on the play of the usual whipping boys or anyone else, but honestly I thought that was a quality team effort. Also, props to the coaching staff: TFC looked a sharper, better prepared side this evening.

Oh, yeah . . . Julius James is douche (am I allowed to say that?).

He looked pretty happy about the goal to me in the game in six highlights. He was at the Columbus supporters' corner so maybe didn't want to get into the fist pumping sort of thing too much? Having made the long trek to Columbus on supporters buses a couple of times it was great to finally see an away victory there. Looks like the pieces are falling into place quite nicely now in terms of Winter's rebuild process. Hopefully people will be able to move beyond all the negativity of the last two seasons and will start enjoying having an MLS team to support again.

The pieces are definitely coming together for TFC and nice to see JDG score but that was definitely a foul.

One thing about that play is that it exposed some pretty poor touch and shielding technique by the Columbus player. Besides, I don't recall a lynch mob of Crew players heading to the ref to protest: just saw a lot of defeated looking guys in yellow uniforms with shoulders slumped and heads down.

Archived