CDN WNT Head Coach announced...

StrandOne

Never heard of the guy and its too early to say but my first thought was: a return to kick and chase soccer.

Also, its kind of sad to think that when we need to go for a foreign coach, we go for a new zealnder. New zealand is not a soccer hotbed nation. They are a nation of a few million people who adores rugby to the same extent that canada adores Hockey. There is not even a wikipedia profile on him and if you google his name all that comes up is stories of his nomination as Canada's womens team head coach.

That said, he may surprise us all.

...Also, its kind of sad to think that when we need to go for a foreign coach, we go for a new zealnder. New zealand is not a soccer hotbed nation. They are a nation of a few million people who adores rugby to the same extent that canada adores Hockey....

Apparently he was born in England and moved to NZ in his yearly 20s - so soccer should be somewhat in his blood.

Anyway, I unfortunately cleared out most of the WWC games from my PVR - so now I am wishing I had kept the NZ ones.... oh well...

I am a believer that a coach has to find a comfortable middle ground between the style that they like to coach, and the style that lets their players best show their talent. Perhaps if there is one thing that our last 2 coaches had in common, was that they both had a definite style of play that they wanted to implement, regardless of whether it maximized our player's talents or not. My hope is that he can find a style that will better fit our team's natural skills, because I really don't think we've seen that yet.

Olympic qualifying is less than 6 months away. If I recall, we have a couple of exhibition games and a tournament between now and then. I am very much looking forward to watching the Olympic qualifiers. IMO a new coach gives rise to new hope....

Welcome to the team John. Good luck to you. GO CANADA!

Never heard of the guy and its too early to say but my first thought was: a return to kick and chase soccer.

Also, its kind of sad to think that when we need to go for a foreign coach, we go for a new zealnder. New zealand is not a soccer hotbed nation. They are a nation of a few million people who adores rugby to the same extent that canada adores Hockey. There is not even a wikipedia profile on him and if you google his name all that comes up is stories of his nomination as Canada's womens team head coach.

That said, he may surprise us all.

When he took over NZ they were losing games 7-0 against top teams. He built the program to point where it had a much better World Cup than Canada. This is not a cheap hire - he's probably the most respected young coach in the women's game in the world. I can't confirm with 100% certainty who the the second choice was, but if it's who I've been told you'd be doing damn backflips today if they had gone that route - they were also in the World Cup and are still working. That's all I can really say. They chose Herdman over that person because he's a better long term fit.

He was asked about tactics today. Based on his answer I'm pretty damn confident that there won't be boot and chase tactics anytime soon.

I spoke briefly to a former colleague of John's when they worked together in NZ and the praise for the man was effusive.

I have a good feeling about this (mind you i was excited by Morace too and that turned out to be a bit of train wreck so hopefully my judgement has improved).

He's got a big job on his hands. I wish him luck.

Among his achievements are "taking New Zealand to the WWC in 2007 and 2011". Was there a playoff, or did they just have to overcome the might of Fiji and Vanuatu?

The OFC was allocated a full spot in both the 2007 and 2011 WWC. Australia's move to the AFC made that route a lot easier for New Zealand. It's an interesting hire, but I want to see how his tactics work the the current players first.

Archived