New Québec semi pro league

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there will be a press conference tomorrow announcing the details for a new semi-pro league in the province, 6 clubs are said to be interested.

I'm a bit excited (6 CLUBS), if a league out west could go semi pro in the next year or so, and since were still bringing in nasl teams, the csa's moratorium will be pretty successful by sheer dumb luck even if they don't manage a national league (unless they were involved? I haven't heard anything linking much though).

If we can start to stretch out our semi pro clubs nationally to over 50 (very ambitious I'll admit) then we'll be in a much better position to build a strong frame work. Sorry I'm a bit off topic, I'm just very pleased we're getting 6 new clubs out of Quebec.

It best have a u21 focus though. No sense in "developing" the "elite" 26 year olds in Quebec. They need to develop the elite 16-18 year olds....here's hoping Impact are involved. Instant credibility if they are.

While that's true, it's important also to have elite 26 year olds and maybe some former UEFA players looking to make a buck before they retire in order to have strong match experience for the youth. Without experienced players to take the youngblood under their wings a development system becomes pretty ineffective.

It best have a u21 focus though. No sense in "developing" the "elite" 26 year olds in Quebec. They need to develop the elite 16-18 year olds....here's hoping Impact are involved. Instant credibility if they are.

Would have thought that the Impact could have a development focus with one Academy team, while the rest are open age in format. Beyond that it should probably be pointed out for the benefit of people who haven't followed this stuff that this league has been rumoured to be in the works for years and therefore has nothing whatsoever to do with moratoriums at the CSA level, especially since it is clearly a case of a provincial association reasserting control over the local semi-pro tier of the game rather than having it directly sanctioned by the CSA.

As far as I remember back in the 80s and early 90s there used to a semi-pro league in and around Montreal called something like the Ligue National de Soccer so it's a case of Back to the Future really. Each big city can do its own thing on this in a similar way to the semi-pro Australian state leagues. The best thing that could be done at the CSA level to encourage more moves in this direction to overt as opposed to under the table semi-professionalism would be to make the Challenge Cup (and by extension the ten provincial championships that serve as qualifiers) open to both amateur and semi-pro teams.

Would have thought that the Impact could have a development focus with one Academy team, while the rest are open age in format. Beyond that it should probably be pointed out for the benefit of people who haven't followed this stuff that this league has been rumoured to be in the works for years and therefore has nothing whatsoever to do with moratoriums at the CSA level, especially since it is clearly a case of a provincial association reasserting control over the local semi-pro tier of the game rather than having it directly sanctioned by the CSA.

As far as I remember back in the 80s and early 90s there used to a semi-pro league in and around Montreal called something like the Ligue National de Soccer so it's a case of Back to the Future really. Each big city can do its own thing on this in a similar way to the semi-pro Australian state leagues. The best thing that could be done at the CSA level to encourage more moves in this direction to overt as opposed to under the table semi-professionalism would be to make the Challenge Cup (and by extension the ten provincial championships that serve as qualifiers) open to both amateur and semi-pro teams.

hahaha, well since I was the only one who mentioned the moratorium, I'm guessing your goof stepping(writing) to try and rebutt me and try and pretend your ignoring me. Well clearly you aren't reading all that carefully or else you wouldn't called me on an obvious point. I didn't want to say it to avoid disparaging the pdl, but if a couple of those 6 investors had gotten amateur pdl teams, then the investor pool for the new league might not have had enough steam and we might not have a 6 team semi pro league (hence 'dumb luck' and your not noticing I was also talking about out west and said I don't beleive the csa had anything to do with it. But if you started reading what people said you wouldn't have a reason to ramble so...)

And I've said it before, and you've done it before, you change what you say after the facts (I've gotten some pretty good laughs off your edits) to pretend everyone is doing what you want. Everyone want's more teams and leagues, acting like that fits just your ideas on direction of not wanting to expand beyond that makes no sense, the national league people need semi pro leagues in cities at regional level so really it's like answering 2 + 2 = 4 and then acting like the next person wouldn't have got it or that somehow helps you make your point (really its just a posturing technique)

BTW, 'back to the future'? you do realize that just because their used to be a league in that region, doesn't mean it's going to be the exact same (I know it's hard but try to realize you don't have the details yet), besides large differences in canadian demographics, your also ignoring the possibility that the clubs could be run better, the league set up more intelligently, etc., but no, you hear 'Quebec league' and you know the run down apparently, and your original prediction is whatever happened last time (laker's fan much?).

You do realize that until you succeed their is going to be a list of failures, all you need is one long term success and all the failure doesn't matter but bbtb has a silly quitter 'don't bother trying' attitude. It gets especially stupid when he tries to make 'points' before relevant information exists. Of course if you assume the league is the exact same as the last it will fail like the last, but who in the right mind is going to model their league after a failure? So your point is just a foolish waste of everyone's time (Your assuming their going to make bad decisions? why?), what could possibly lead you to conclude this league is going to make terrible decisions besides just being a doom monger? The fact that you continue to talk foolishness and act like the onus is on others to call you on your poor points instead of just not wasting people time is just childish (like a dumb teenager that thinks their brilliant in philosophy class).

For the benefit of those who missed the earlier thread on this subject, which contained plenty of details of what was envisaged for the new Ligue de Soccer Semi-Professionnelle du Québec, here are the relevent urls:

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?41897-LSSPQ-A-new-league-in-the-ever-changing-Canadian-soccer-landscape

http://www.federation-soccer.qc.ca/files/ligue_semi_pro2011/ligue_semi_pro2011.pdf

The province to watch after this will be Ontario. If there is going to be a new non-amateur league there for 2012, September is when it would normally announced judging by what has been posted on here previously. Hopefully the new "elite 8" stuff that appears to be happening in the OSL is tied into creating an integrated pyramid of play based on pro/rel for all competitive level clubs in the Golden Horseshoe from the most lowly district league amateurs up to the semi-pro level.

http://forums.ontariosl.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=13430

http://forums.ontariosl.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1397

The OSA will/would no doubt continue to pretend initially it has a "provincial" setup in place when only a small portion of the province geographically is involved, but hopefully other large cities like Ottawa, London and Windsor would be properly catered to in a sensible regional division structure later.

About time, too. Hopefully, all the ducks are in a line this time and the new league will be a success, model for other provincial bodies. We need a solid D3 platform to help build Canada's pro pyramid.

Agreed... this is good and if solid it will help all the way to the top. But it will take a few years before we see and feel the outcome.

More details from RDS:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rds.ca%2Fsoccer%2Fchroniques%2F325501.html

MONTREAL - From next summer, the commitment of professional soccer players in Quebec will not only be a matter for the Montreal Impact.

A new semi-professional league in Quebec, whose guidelines will be announced at a news conference Wednesday in Montreal, will have eight to 10 teams that will all employ a minimum of seven professional players.

These players status "non-amateur" will receive a salary of 3000 to $ 7000 to compete in twenty regular season games in addition to the series, The Canadian Press has learned. The teams also align players amateur status and semi-professional.

For now, six clubs have actually shown interest in this league that would be considered Division 3, those of Beauport Blainville Brossard, L'Assomption, Lakeshore and Ottawa. Trois-Rivières have also expressed interest, while the Impact analyze the possibility of aligning team...

Hmm ... Ottawa. Interesting. I wonder if they would be "Ottawa" in name only and play out of Gatineau or would the team need the approval of the OSA to play in the new Quebec league. Depending on the span of the league, it might make more sense for an Ottawa franchise to play in Quebec rather than Ontario (Ottawa-Quebec City versus Ottawa-Windsor).

There was a story on here a few years back about an investor in Gatineau (maybe Hull?) landing a franchise in a new Quebec semi-pro league. Tried finding it in the search but no luck so far. Might try again later.

Edit: Found it!

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/sports/200809/23/01-22884-gatineau-alignera-une-equipe-semi-pro-de-foot.php

Hmm ... Ottawa. Interesting. I wonder if they would be "Ottawa" in name only and play out of Gatineau or would the team need the approval of the OSA to play in the new Quebec league. Depending on the span of the league, it might make more sense for an Ottawa franchise to play in Quebec rather than Ontario (Ottawa-Quebec City versus Ottawa-Windsor).

They don't talk about Ottawa at all, it's just that Google translates Outaouais as Ottawa.

Great if Impact get their kids teams into this - IF the league has a u21/23 focus and largely on the talented 16-18 year olds in QC and the odd 15 year old. YOUTH DEVELOPMENT critical in this country. No use developing a semi-pro league if it's geared toward winning and employing the #notgoodenoughforNASL guys aged 25+.

Can see this being yet another step toward regionalized Canadian league!

Great if Impact get their kids teams into this - IF the league has a u21/23 focus and largely on the talented 16-18 year olds in QC and the odd 15 year old. YOUTH DEVELOPMENT critical in this country. No use developing a semi-pro league if it's geared toward winning and employing the #notgoodenoughforNASL guys aged 25+.

Can see this being yet another step toward regionalized Canadian league!

At the same time, I don't know if people will pay to see the level of football provided by 18 years old in Canada. The 7 professionnals paid 3k to 7k need to have enough skill to provide some good entertainment football, and you probably don't have that with young players. So I wouldn't mind if teams get 5 to 10 guys aged 20 and older, and the rest is younger players trying to develop and launch a career from there...

That's good news. They are also saying that the champions of CSL and the new Quebec Premier League (La Première Ligue de Soccer du Québec) could play against each other or something.

I like the idea of first concentrating leagues in provinces, then playing champions in National championship. On the long run, if things work out, we could be looking at a real National League.

I like the idea of first concentrating leagues in provinces, then playing champions in National championship. On the long run, if things work out, we could be looking at a real National League.

We share the national level stuff at D1 and D2 level with the United States and that is unlikely to change. We also already have a national championship in place for ten provincial winners. All that needs to change is that the CSA finally needs to move into the 20th century (not a typo) by allowing semi-pro as well as amateur teams into it so a best of the rest champion can be crowned beneath the fully pro level.

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT critical in this country. No use developing a semi-pro league if it's geared toward winning and employing the #notgoodenoughforNASL guys aged 25+.

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that PDL is also available for that.

We share the national level stuff at D1 and D2 level with the United States and that is unlikely to change. We also already have a national championship in place for ten provincial winners. All that needs to change is that the CSA finally needs to move into the 20th century (not a typo) by allowing semi-pro as well as amateur teams into it so a best of the rest champion can be crowned beneath the fully pro level.

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that PDL is also available for that.

ugggh:

A) by unlikely, you mean you oppose it at every mention with poorly thought out arguements.

B) the idea that one cup, that is currently amateur is going to fix the d-3 to d-2 gap is absurd. Everyone supports a national cup (pretty much every country has one) but that doesn't mean their ambition should stop there.

C) the whole point of this is so we can develop pro teams without having to wait for a mega investor (from the ground up), so your 'idea' of capping the semi pro teams in with the amateur teams is just pointless.

D) 'Perhaps worth bearing in mind' that if Quebec went with the PDL they'd probably have an amateur team in Montreal and an amateur team in Quebec City (and the handful of amateur roster spots for canadians that come with it) instead of a fully canadian, 6 team, semi pro league (Is your whole point: Why go half way when you can just give up?). The way you casually recommend a poor decision is bizarre, like your emotionally invested in seeing the PDL dominate our lower soccer leagues, it serves a purpose (more strong amateur teams, geographically isolated areas) but to recommend a pretty hefty population like southern Quebec be satisfied with it is just silly. The worst part is you phrase your response like it's not just your silly opinion (Bob McGowan much? when people laugh at his opinions, he keeps bringing them up by asserting them to a new buzz, or some people or any silly run of phrase that anonymously seems to give it credibility).

Can't you let people mention wanting a national division without pretending to be some expert who's above making sense, we get it, you don't think it will work, you don't have to tell everyone who disagrees with you every time they mention something you oppose, that's not debate, it's tactics, really creepy tactics actually (sophistry, and part of being a sophist is not caring whether your actually right, hence creepy), and if you want to argue just for the fun of argueing, go to a debate forum where it is all just about peoples ego's.

Here's a little example, I support the NDP, I'll talk about it occasionally, but that doesn't make it acceptable for me to prattle on about how I disagree everytime anyone mentions their a conservative (sometimes it's their moment). At a certain point your either being a fascist (not tolerating and harassing dissenting views the moment they appear) or your just desperate for attention. Everyone know's you oppose a national division, now can you stop from telling every individual person who personally disagrees with you? It just gets super creepy after a while, sure I go on too much, but I don't go around calling the pdl anti productive at it's every mention, so why do you feel it's appropriate to be so intolerant of dissenting opinions?

I was at the Capital City FC game vs Montreal Impact, and there was a gentleman there from Quebec city who was thinking of putting a team in the CSL, he talked to the officials of Capital City and also had a long conversation with the refs and linesmen who were doing the game, i believe he may have been at the game at the invitation of Capital City.

I think this would be more beneficial to soccer in Canada for the CSL to expand to other provinces, than having new leagues set up in each province.

The CSL have been trying to expand to Quebec City for about five years now (might check exact chronology later) but appear to have been consistently blocked from doing so by soccer association politics. The reason that the new Quebec league is emerging is because the Quebec association clearly want to run their own show in semi-pro terms and don't want to see any more expansion by the CSL in their province. Personally would think that it might make sense for Ottawa to try to move to the Quebec league as the travel would be a lot easier and they would have a local rival on the other side of the river.

Archived