Viewing Parties - Puerto Rico vs. Canada - Sept. 6th

El Hombre

Puerto Rico vs. Canada

Tuesday, Sept. 6th

Time: 8:00PM EST/5:00PM PST

TV Coverage: Sportsnet One

The following is a list of gathering places for Voyageurs to view the game (details to be added to this post as they are received).

Calgary - Fiddlers Courtyard (confirmed)

Edmonton - Metro

Halifax -

Kingston - The Toucan (confirmed) (76 Princess St.)

Montreal - Burgundy Lion (confirmed)

Ottawa - Grace O'Malley's (east) (confirmed)

Quebec City -

Regina -

Saskatoon - Pleasureway Pub (confirmed)

St. John's -

Toronto - Duke at Bloor & Yonge (almost) and Scallywags (confirmed)

Vancouver - Doolin's Irish Pub (confirmed) 654 Nelson St.

Victoria -

Winnipeg - Elephant and Castle (confirmed) 350 St. Mary Ave.

*confirmation requires a Voyageur to call the establishment to confirm that they will be showing the game and that they can accomodate X number of fans.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I get the address for the viewing party in Toronto on the 6th. I'm still going to be in town and wouldn't mind having another beer or two with the people that i'll be meeting on the 2nd.

I don't know if they Duke actually has a legal address.

649 Yonge Street

Toronto, ON

Upstairs.

Is it? I think Sportsnet's website says Major League Baseball: Texas @ Tampa Bay on Sportsnet1 from 7 pm to 11 pm.

Well Gerry Dobson says so, and so do the folks at SoccerCentral(twitter feed), but yeah.....the schedule still says baseball. A lot of people will be angry at Dobson if there ends up being baseball instead, especially since people have asked about the schedule conflict and nobody has answered....

Well Gerry Dobson says so ...
Gerry Dobson referred to the CMNT as Toronto FC in the broadcast on Saturday ...

and so do the folks at SoccerCentral(twitter feed) ...
Well there's some hope then!

I'm sure it will air somewhere ... don't know why it's always such a last-minute cluster-**** though.

Not to offend anyone, so I'll try to be polite. But is there a reason that we keep going to the Duke? Last time I was there, it was dark, had a half decent pull down screen at best and isn't that big.

Scallys is a better spot no?

I asked a lot of people, not just in USector.

I was thinking Scallys too for the size, and by that I mean making room for later games against bigger teams.

Duke sits on both subway lines, and if there is anything else on TV that night Scallys will not hesitate to bump us. Duke won't.

Duke will not be big enough if we do things right and land bigger teams later on.

ForeverThursday has asked me to post about the Edmonton Watch Party (he's not around internet during the day today).

Metro (Downtown, kinda by Grant MacEwan)

Hopefully some of the Edmonton V's can make it. I know its short notice. Saddly I won't be there, as timing means that if I want to catch it, I'm watching it from home.

I was thinking Scallys too for the size, and by that I mean making room for later games against bigger teams.

Duke sits on both subway lines, and if there is anything else on TV that night Scallys will not hesitate to bump us. Duke won't.

Duke will not be big enough if we do things right and land bigger teams later on.

I'm telling all my peeps to get to Scally's. If you want it to be the place can we change the pub location in the OP? See you all Tues!!

Maybe we should work on Scally's for the matches next round? (Hi fate.) They accommodate rugby and EPL fans as long as the crowd is big enough, and I'm confident ours would be by next year.

god no. Frappe for canada games is a guy sitting around. the top floor of the burgundy lion was full, and they are going to show every game there, so that's the spot, unfortunately.

Why unfortunately? I know it is pretty expensive but do you not like the Burgundy Lion for other reasons? I have never been there. From what I have heard from people who were there, this was an Umbro organized event and was full but it seemed like most of the people had never watched a Canada game before and did not even know much about soccer. I do think it is cool Umbro is doing this but like in Toronto it would be a lot better if they would coordinate what they are doing with the Voyageurs or at least give us a heads up about it. I think the more bars showing and promoting the game the better even if it cuts down the crowd size at one location. I know several who would have gone to Frappe did end up going to the Burgundy Lion. In the end we were only 5 at Frappe definitely there to watch the game but there were a few casuals dropping by who ended up watching it as well (including one who I overheard talking and surprisingly knew a lot about our team and that this was WCQ).

For Tuesday at the moment it does not look like I will be able to make it to a bar. However, Frappe definitely has Sportsnet One and will put it on if anyone goes there to watch it. There will probably be a bigger crowd at Burgundy Lion though.

On principle only, id rather go to the Duke. That is if i can make it. With the other place mentioned, there is no guarantee and just like you said, they will bump you even if you got a larger crowd.

Maybe we should work on Scally's for the matches next round? (Hi fate.) They accommodate rugby and EPL fans as long as the crowd is big enough, and I'm confident ours would be by next year.

They are very hypocritical when it comes to soccer. A few years ago a few of us were there to watch a TFC away game and there were other small groups or couples that showed up to watch the MLS game. They only switched one small tv in an uncomfortable corner to the MLS game and with no sound. They refused to budge with the main tvs and big screens, preferring to show a hockey play off game involving I think Pit-Det. Nobody was watching the hockey game in the bar ( absolutely nobody) and the people in TFC shirts outnumbered the rest of the crowd by a two or three to one ratio. The rest of the non TFC crowd was socializing and not interested in the hockey game.

Every place wants business and money and will put on a front and act that they cater to your interests and group. But rare are the places where that willingness is genuine. The duke knows USECTOR and the Voyageurs. My personal (and its just mine) opinion is: support those who trully support your interest.

I've been disapointed by both places and impressed by both at certain points throughout the years. I've got no agenda beyond getting as many of us in one place and deciding ASAP to avoid confusion.

Boston plays the Blue Jays at home tomorrow at 7pm

The US open of tennis is on at the same time

and there's Rugby replays.

I'm really hoping a group of us can grab a tele or two.

update: Just called them. Scally's says they'll defininately have it on.

Archived