2012 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying 19-29 January 2012

paul-collins

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Further many of you call yourselves fans but you are not as you don't even consider that heckling, swearing and etc in the stands is poor sportsmanship. It has nothing to do with how much you pay for you ticket to view the game or that you have so many in your group. Your actions are no more different than some idiot showing up at some kids game doing the same thing.

Given that these are NOT kids games, that actually makes it completely different.

Further many of you call yourselves fans but you are not as you don't even consider that heckling, swearing and etc in the stands is poor sportsmanship.

What does sportsmanship have to do with being a fan in the stands? The fans & spectators are not the ones competing in the sport.

The "money developing her" is total BS as like all Canadian and USA players our development systems are pay to play. Who do you think paid more for her development up to age 14? Certainly wasn't the CSA

As a general rule, I don't tend to get too upset about the so-called traitors. They simply cease to matter. Self-interest is rampant in our communities and it seems somewhat hypocritical to hold athletes to higher standards than everyone else. But you are way way off base in suggesting the canadian system is pay to play. Fees recover only a small part of the cost a soccer league (much like tuition covers only a fraction of the cost of a university education). The community LeRoux grew up in made a considerable investment in her. Provision of infrastructure, opportunity and coaching (however substandard that might be) is not covered by registration fees and that is just the soccer side of things. Like all Canadians, Canada has made a tremendous investment in her. Ms. Leroux owes a lot of Canada. She has the right in our system (Try that in China) to turn her back on that, move elsewhere, and even compete against us, but lets not pop our heads in the sand and ignore reality because at some point she may have had to pay a few hundred bucks each year to play.

Coach Rich, once again I have to trot out the fact that Canada played Le Roux as a 15 yr old in the 2004 U19 games in Thailand. You make it sound like she was treated badly by the CSA when in fact they were grooming her as a future star of the program. The salient point made by others in this thread, if her goal (as stated to the star struck Jody Vance) from a young age was to play for the USA, why did she play for Canada, depriving development from other girls?

The other thing about the tournament coverage that is irking me is the repeated glowing praise for the USA and how invincible the squad is. FFS, they came in 3rd in CONCACAF just 2 years ago in 2011 WCQ. To answer the impossible question "How do you beat the USA?", I would just ask Mexico.

Sit down and quietly cheer for whichever poor slobs ignorantly deign to put on the Maple Leaf because they couldn't play for the Americans, guys. You are permitted to clap after a goal but don't get too enthusiastic or you may make our opponents sad.

Extacted from 'How to be a proper supporter' by Coach Rich.

Hey Ben, was that you on the big screen during the anthem?

I enjoyed the game from my midfield seats and was surrounded by kids; afterwards the railing was swarmed by teen and tween girls seeking autographs. Sinc was properly feted as the star but it was great to see the adulation for Sophie and Kaylyn and Candace etc as well. Even Diane Matheson came over and signed my V scarf. (one to two months, she said)

Fun times! Wish I could stay for Friday.

Yes, my sister was amazed by the constant bouncing and singing you folks did (her first soccer match). We could clearly see you were all having a good time.

The Beaver was in the house last night--but oddly nobody noticed--and though I was not sitting with my fellow Voyageurs this time, I was damned impressed by the singing and chanting and constant noise coming out of that section. Lots of colour and sound, banners and scarves and flags! Nicely done. My brother and I enjoyed the game from the other side, but perhaps if we can get tickets for the semis we'll join the rabble-rousers this time. (Anybody got tickets? I got cash.)

The other thing about the tournament coverage that is irking me is the repeated glowing praise for the USA and how invincible the squad is. FFS, they came in 3rd in CONCACAF just 2 years ago in 2011 WCQ. To answer the impossible question "How do you beat the USA?", I would just ask Mexico.

+1

This, bugged me too (much lesser than my feelings about La Roux). What all of this has taught me (or reconfirmed) is that while SN is admirably increasing its Canadian footy content, they still have a long way to go in terms of broadcast quality. Their Camera work is one thing (they have not learned to this day that you dont cut away from live action, however boring, when the ball is in play to show highlights or segments of footage that occured long ago in the game [not least of which are Jody Vance's irritating segments] atleast wait for the ball to be out of play) but it is really the quality of the commentary, analysis, focal points and content and the way they are delivered that are of low quality, especially in this tournament. I love what Dobson and Forrest have done for the game in this country, but I think it is time that SN hired a more experienced, soccer specific commentary and analysis broadcast and behind the scenes team. This is only logical if they are serious about broadcasting soccer as a priority sport. Or, perhaps let people, such as Kara Lang, handle womens telecasts whom can bring more in depth understanding of our womens nats to the table instead of using Dobson and Forrest for everything.

The overtones of the SN broadcast of this tournament reak of pandering to two sets of crowds (mens vs. womens fans) which SN fails to realize have alot of overlap in fan base, struggles, and goals. SN has treated their coverage of the womens game much more differently than they do with the mens WC team. This, I believe accounts for the ad nauseum coverage of the demi-god like USA team, the short sighted handling of La Roux and the overall casual and shallow nature of the brodcasts. SN has to realize that the mens and womens programs at any age level are all part of the same struggle to built a competative and credible program in Canada. Even though the two genders face unique program problems, they are two sides of the same coin.

Given that these are NOT kids games, that actually makes it completely different.

They are basically no different than a game in a public park as they are in the public domain with kids in attendance and some players are still kids.

When you buy that ticket you are subject to not only the rules of stadium management http://www.canadasoccer.com/files/Prohibited_Items_BC_Place_EN.pdf and etc but also the rules of the entity who is renting it and public norms and laws. You are subject to removal.

Btw do you heckle, swear and etc in front of your kids? If not why would you do in front of someone else kids and in public? And the public wonders why football games are played in empty stadiums.

What does sportsmanship have to do with being a fan in the stands? The fans & spectators are not the ones competing in the sport.

For the same reason parent at a kids game are removed from the stands or sidelines and later go in to league discipline along with their kids coach and club. There should be no need for discipline or posting of performance bonds in these matters let along having games played on or in empty fields or stadiums. What you do in the stands is teaching or not teaching the sportsmanship of the game to those around you. Playing or coaching the game doesn't end once you walk off the field nor when you buy a ticket to a game or if you leave the wife and kids at home.

As a general rule, I don't tend to get too upset about the so-called traitors. They simply cease to matter. Self-interest is rampant in our communities and it seems somewhat hypocritical to hold athletes to higher standards than everyone else. But you are way way off base in suggesting the canadian system is pay to play. Fees recover only a small part of the cost a soccer league (much like tuition covers only a fraction of the cost of a university education). The community LeRoux grew up in made a considerable investment in her. Provision of infrastructure, opportunity and coaching (however substandard that might be) is not covered by registration fees and that is just the soccer side of things. Like all Canadians, Canada has made a tremendous investment in her. Ms. Leroux owes a lot of Canada. She has the right in our system (Try that in China) to turn her back on that, move elsewhere, and even compete against us, but lets not pop our heads in the sand and ignore reality because at some point she may have had to pay a few hundred bucks each year to play.

What parents and their families invest in the game for their children at the elite level is way more than the CSA will ever invest. As someone who has vollied for over several decades in the Metro Van system at various levels, I'm happy to see any player achieve their development goals dreams whether they move from one club to another in the city, whether they move from Metro to BCHPL, whether they play in the CIS or NCAA, whether they play in the WPS, W-league or in UEFA, J-league and etc, whether they play for one country or another. I volllie to give players development opportunities that they can choose from. Players support one another as they are or have been a team. Ever wondered how Ms. Leroux's old team mates or the Canwnt players feel about the way you guys act? The word whatever comes to mind.

Coach Rich, once again I have to trot out the fact that Canada played Le Roux as a 15 yr old in the 2004 U19 games in Thailand. You make it sound like she was treated badly by the CSA when in fact they were grooming her as a future star of the program. The salient point made by others in this thread, if her goal (as stated to the star struck Jody Vance) from a young age was to play for the USA, why did she play for Canada, depriving development from other girls?

She was treated fairly on both sides of the border but why all of you say she should only give Canada a try when she has dual citizen is lacking any frame of reference to a players desire to develop. She spent 3 years + as a nomad in the states seeing what see could do and like. Her family, friends and herself sacrificed a great deal to be that nomad on her development quest. All the worked for her and we in the development side of game should be supportive of what she has achieved.

The "depriving development from other girls" or "lied" or "traitor" doesn't work for me when you are talking about youth athletes. She was 14 with a dream like any other kid in the system at any other level so why restrict them to what we want. Do we here get upset when our best players go to the NCAA rather than CIS for 4 years, do we get upset when our best players go to the WPS or UEFA leagues, do we get upset when we buy USA products and not Canadian, how about Donavon Bailey, KK, Chapy, JAR and others? I just see a lot of stupid harping by a bunch of suits that don't see the big picture of developing young athletes and letting them make the choices.

Further her family and friends help get her there at some price like others. Sure the selection process at any level sucks but it's part of the development process in the pay to play ranks. So is playing multiple sports at 14 and not nothing where you are going to end up. Heck at that age I had no idea I'd move to the UK right after high school to play a sport other than soccer I didn't even know about. Did I think about all those kids I deprived from the V&D soccer team I played for 8 years with? Whatever is the answer as I was developing as an athlete.

So true and the commentators don't explain the huge pro and resources gap the US has and how it impacts the results here. But there we are there are giant killers out there that win just with culture or infrastructure. Japan for me was the big story in the women's game. More so than the success of the UEFA killer teams like France in this WWC.

I think it was Craig Forrest that said heaven help us all when Mexico decides to make the $ resource change and use their mens infrastructure for their women. Same comment Ian Bridge made to me last time he coached the Canwnt U20's Going to be a great game between Mex and USA tonite.

1) Good job Voyageurs et Canadian fans! You were loud and clear on CONCACAF TV.

2) Work commitments prevent me from attending this tourney, but the play against CR cast the same foreboding shadows that emerged during my month in Germany at the WWC. One need only recollect the differences between Canada and France, with respect to first touches, ball support, and pursuit support, to get to the heart of my concern.

Guest piltdownmanWC

The Southsiders are hosting a pair of pre-match events this week.

On Friday we encourage all Canadian fans to join us at Doolin's (Granville and Nelson) to join us at 2pm. For drinks good times and a raffle. At 4:15 we will be leaving Doolin's and marching down Granville and then Robson to the stadium. Bring your flags, bring your scarves and wear red.

On Sunday we will also be at Doolin's. Same plan. Drinks and Food at 2pm. March at 4:15 to the stadium. In addition we will be auctioning off a jersey signed by the Canadian Women's team with proceeds going to Vancouver Street Soccer. For full info on that check out: http://vancouversouthsiders.ca/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/1670/southsiders-charitable-auction-of-signed-canwnt-jersey

Both days we will be selling Umbro scarves and Canada Flags (with Poles).

In terms of non-Southsiders events. There is a Tweetup on Friday at 1pm in support of JOLI academy mission in India & South Africa. This is for all Women's Soccer fans and fans from all teams will be there. It will be at Mahony & Sons (New Convention Centre) 1055 Canada Place, #36. Should be lots of fun. I know I plan to go for about an hour before heading to Doolin's.

Guest piltdownmanWC

Also there has been alot of questions on why much of this stuff is branded 'Southsiders' and not 'Voyageurs'. For me it's simply because whilst I would consider myself a Voyageur, I don't feel I have ownership or authority to use the 'brand' to the level that we have. Especially since we managed the ticket sales for our section and have been selling merchandise.

blah blah blah blah blah ...

The "depriving development from other girls" or "lied" or "traitor" doesn't work for me when you are talking about youth athletes. She was 14 with a dream like any other kid in the system at any other level so why restrict them to what we want. Do we here get upset when our best players go to the NCAA rather than CIS for 4 years, do we get upset when our best players go to the WPS or UEFA leagues, do we get upset when we buy USA products and not Canadian, how about Donavon Bailey, KK, Chapy, JAR and others? I just see a lot of stupid harping by a bunch of suits that don't see the big picture of developing young athletes and letting them make the choices.

blah blah blah blah blah

You just don't get it! What sport was it, lawn bowling? We are talking about national teams and the last I looked the USA is a team that is Canada's enemy in terms of qualifying for every fricking FIFA event. It's not club, university or whatever the hell else you are on about. How about Donovan Bailey? Would you get up on your soapbox and applaud a young Donovan Bailey if he had decided to suit up for the USA 6 months prior to blowing the opposition out of the water in Atlanta FOR CANADA! I have no f*ing clue who you are on about with KK, Chapy and JAR.

Thank you Rogers Sportsnet, aka the Sydney LeRoux network, for airing the vacuous Vance fame-whore "LIVE!!!!" conversation with LeRoux's mom once again! Can't get enough of that sh1t.

You just don't get it! What sport was it, lawn bowling? We are talking about national teams and the last I looked the USA is a team that is Canada's enemy in terms of qualifying for every fricking FIFA event. It's not club, university or whatever the hell else you are on about. How about Donovan Bailey? Would you get up on your soapbox and applaud a young Donovan Bailey if he had decided to suit up for the USA 6 months prior to blowing the opposition out of the water in Atlanta FOR CANADA! I have no f*ing clue who you are on about with KK, Chapy and JAR.

Sadly you do not get it.

You have the USA NT program that have supported dual citizen youth players from other CONCACAF nations for decades. Example is MEX midfield Teresa Noyola who's one of their top players. She is also a top Stanford player, 2011 College Cup's Most Outstanding Offensive Player, finalist for the 2011 Herman Trophy (Christine Sinclair 2x winner). She started playing with the US U14 NT but was moved up to the U16's at the age of 14. Also played for US U17, 18 and 20. In 2010 she was given clearance to play for the Mexican WNT. If you follow the women's game you would know the USWNT fans aren't like you lot. Show some class and grow up for the sports sake.

Archived