Winnipeg Kids to WhiteCaps residency

Guest Ed

Quote from the article: "The Whitecaps cover the costs and both Bustos and Musse will billet with the same family in Vancouver."

But i thought they had residency program. Which i thought meant that the club provided acomodations that was owned and paid for by the club. We have often heard here that this was the trump card of that program. At least, thats my interpretation of what residency means.

Quote from the article: "The Whitecaps cover the costs and both Bustos and Musse will billet with the same family in Vancouver."

But i thought they had residency program. Which i thought meant that the club provided acomodations that was owned and paid for by the club. We have often heard here that this was the trump card of that program. At least, thats my interpretation of what residency means.

I don't recall hearing here, or anywhere else for that matter that the 'caps had a "building" to provide accomodations to residency players. Not to say that is not the case, I just don;t recall it. Their residency page only identifies billeted accomodation. Linked below so anyone interested can find out exactly what the Whitecaps residency program is all about. The TFC Academy page is not all that informative, but it does seem that its "scope" is different (please note, I am NOT saying one approach is better than the other). I gather that the Academy does not have a link to a specific high school program, nor provides for accomodation.

http://club.whitecapsfc.com/dev/residency/

http://www.torontofc.ca/academy-programs

The residency players are billetted in by families in Burnaby and attend Burnaby Central, which is a brand new school not far from the Burnaby Lake facilities. The billetting system allows the kids to have a family. Throwing 15 year-olds in a dorm is not a selling point to parents thousand of kilometres away.

Echo that. Beat me to the punch. Dormitories for the older kids/young adults? No big deal. The younger lads? Bit sketchy that. Going to Vancouver isn't exactly like steaming off to Hogwarts is it?

(By the way more Winnipeg lads may be heading your way the next year or two. And a real cracker at that).

I don't recall hearing here, or anywhere else for that matter that the 'caps had a "building" to provide accomodations to residency players. Not to say that is not the case, I just don;t recall it. Their residency page only identifies billeted accomodation. Linked below so anyone interested can find out exactly what the Whitecaps residency program is all about. The TFC Academy page is not all that informative, but it does seem that its "scope" is different (please note, I am NOT saying one approach is better than the other). I gather that the Academy does not have a link to a specific high school program, nor provides for accomodation.

http://club.whitecapsfc.com/dev/residency/

http://www.torontofc.ca/academy-programs

Actually, you're incorrect. All TFC Academy players do indeed go to a specific high school (one that allows for flexible hours and training), and their out-of-town kids are billeted, just like those at the Whitecaps Residency.

TFC just doesn't have as many out-of-towners in their academy system as the Whitecaps do, because of the massive pool of local players readily available to them in the GTA. Guys like Dylan Carreiro are indeed put up by a billeting family.

The residency players are billetted in by families in Burnaby and attend Burnaby Central, which is a brand new school not far from the Burnaby Lake facilities. The billetting system allows the kids to have a family. Throwing 15 year-olds in a dorm is not a selling point to parents thousand of kilometres away.

Not to nitpick, but Burnaby Central is not a brand new school. It's one of the oldest schools in the district and is the alma mater of Michael J Fox, Glenn Anderson, and Olympic decathlete Dave Steen. It is, however, very close to the Burnaby Lake training facility.

Actually, you're incorrect. All TFC Academy players do indeed go to a specific high school (one that allows for flexible hours and training), and their out-of-town kids are billeted, just like those at the Whitecaps Residency.

TFC just doesn't have as many out-of-towners in their academy system as the Whitecaps do, because of the massive pool of local players readily available to them in the GTA. Guys like Dylan Carreiro are indeed put up by a billeting family.

Thats what i thought as well. So again, it begs the question. What does "residency program" mean? Going back a while, the impression that was often conveyed (unchallenged) By anyone (including my self) was that the TFC setup was somehow second rate, done on the cheap, a token gesture, less professional, poorer coaches, staff etc.. And the biggest differentiator often brought was that one was a residency. But now we know that they are both residency programs or both are not. and they are both doing the same thing. So what was the difference?

None the less, i agree, that There are far more interesting things to argue about than who has the better academy program. But in the context of the bigger picture of how club bias cant distort how things are communicated and perceptions that are formed of certain teams, players etc. This is a prime example.

The Whitecaps program was well out in front of anything else in Canada, but TFC has done a lot of catching up, in that regard.

In fact, TFC may be ahead next year when their Academy building opens up, if for no other reason that it'll be the first of its kind in the country. Of course, Vancouver has plans for a similar building of their own.

As you said, it's nothing more than a pissing contest to argue over which team's academy is better. At times, one is going to stand out over the other, it's just the nature of these things as the clubs add and expand. Regardless, it's all very good news for soccer in Canada.

Not to nitpick, but Burnaby Central is not a brand new school. It's one of the oldest schools in the district and is the alma mater of Michael J Fox, Glenn Anderson, and Olympic decathlete Dave Steen. It is, however, very close to the Burnaby Lake training facility.

Not to knitpick, but you live in Australia. I live in Burnaby. :) There is most certainly a new school as I drive by it everyday.

http://central.sd41.bc.ca/newschool.html

Were we to knitpick, I would concede that I'm not sure it will be ready this September or not.

The other thing with regard to the name is that the genesis of the program was to place players in Europe. In the same way that you could be "an artist in residence," a lot of the 90s who started in 2007 were trainees in residence. At that time, there was more emphasis on attracting players from other provinces or abroad. Right now, the focus is much more what you have at TFC -where local players make their way through U14, U16, and U18 to the PDL/Reserves. Of the four guys most likely to sign a developmental contract next season, 3 of the 4 are from Vancouver: Bassi, Fisk, and Clarke. Only Alderson is from Ontario and I don't think he would be able to sign with the Residency under the current territorial agreement.

Not to knitpick, but you live in Australia. I live in Burnaby. :) There is most certainly a new school as I drive by it everyday.

http://central.sd41.bc.ca/newschool.html

Were we to knitpick, I would concede that I'm not sure it will be ready this September or not.

I may live in Australia, but I'm more than happy to defend my Burnaby credentials (born there, raised there, educated there, worked for the city for 12 years, visit my family that still lives there every year, etc). I would argue that a new building does not mean that the school is new. A high school going by the name of Burnaby Central Secondary School has been operating on that site since before I was born. The Whitecaps' Residency kids have been attending school there since the program's inception.

Thats what i thought as well. So again, it begs the question. What does "residency program" mean? Going back a while, the impression that was often conveyed (unchallenged) By anyone (including my self) was that the TFC setup was somehow second rate, done on the cheap, a token gesture, less professional, poorer coaches, staff etc.. And the biggest differentiator often brought was that one was a residency. But now we know that they are both residency programs or both are not. and they are both doing the same thing. So what was the difference?

None the less, i agree, that There are far more interesting things to argue about than who has the better academy program. But in the context of the bigger picture of how club bias cant distort how things are communicated and perceptions that are formed of certain teams, players etc. This is a prime example.

As others have pointed out TFC have trained a largely local pool of players and so therefore never really touted the "residency" component of their Academy which largely consisted of Justin Maheu billeting with a family in 2009 and now Dylan Carreiro doing the same. Vancouver had a much larger number of out of town/country players and therefore the "residency" component was played up more.

I think alot of the difference in perception between the two club Academies is based on the first few years of operations, Vancouvers first group of trainees were considered very strong group while TFC's first few groups were considered weaker. Alot of 1990 born kids were not picked up by TFC because they were already U18's and would be overaged the next year and not fulfill the 2 year training requirement (since been dropped to 1 year) to sign with the club. Vancouver on the other hand picked up most of the top 1990 born players in the country as well as Jamaica U17 captain Dever Orgill. Since then the trajectory of the recruiting classes went in opposite directions, but have stabilized to a similar level. Vancouver had some relatively leaner years with their 91-93 classes compared to their 90 group, and TFC just needed to let the youngsters in their stronger classes of 92-93 mature (even with defections like Ricardo Ferreira).

I may live in Australia, but I'm more than happy to defend my Burnaby credentials (born there, raised there, educated there, worked for the city for 12 years, visit my family that still lives there every year, etc). I would argue that a new building does not mean that the school is new. A high school going by the name of Burnaby Central Secondary School has been operating on that site since before I was born. The Whitecaps' Residency kids have been attending school there since the program's inception.

This is true. The point I'm trying to get at for our out-of-town, non-Burnaby Liverpool supporters, is that the Residency kids are going to a school, with "brand new" facilities (either this September, or soon thereafter). The subject of much debate in my family as some traditional Catholic school goers are being tempted by the new facilities.

The Whitecaps MLS territorial boundaries cover all of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The Whitecaps had a camp in April sometime and there were a lot of rep teams from across Western Canada and beyond that came to Vancouver and the players were evaluated. I'm always excited to see the new crop of kids that they bring in each year. With the Whitecaps participating in the USSF development league at both the U16 and U18 level starting in September, there will be a lot more kids involved. Here are the schedules:

http://ussda.demosphere.com/schedules/2011-2012/37416959.html

http://ussda.demosphere.com/schedules/2011-2012/37416960.html

To further expand on territorial rights (to clarify the Alderson situation someone referred to above). It is based on population. My understanding is that Montreal will have roughly all of Quebec. TFC has a certain kilometer radius around BMO field, Vancouver has the 4 Western Provinces. Any player that does not fall into one of these areas (like Alderson who is from Kitchener), is free game.

^ That's completely unfair for Toronto, Vancouver can claim kids from 4 provinces and TFC can't even get a kid from Kitchener.

TFC can get a kid from Kitchener if he'd wanted to play for TFC, since Kitchener is outside of the cachement area of all MLS clubs he was free to sign with whoever he wanted to. Each club is able to sign 3 out of area players to their Academy and the Whitecaps did that last year by signing Alderson, Cain and Polakiewicz from Ontario. TFC signed Dylan Carreiro from Manitoba, i speculate the only reason they were able to do so was because Vancouver did not attempt to sign him?

To further expand on territorial rights (to clarify the Alderson situation someone referred to above). It is based on population. My understanding is that Montreal will have roughly all of Quebec. TFC has a certain kilometer radius around BMO field, Vancouver has the 4 Western Provinces. Any player that does not fall into one of these areas (like Alderson who is from Kitchener), is free game.

Do you know how this was arrived at? Was it a handshake agreement amongst the clubs or did the CSA itervene or impose these territorial restrictions? Or was it MLS? Who is enforcing it? While these are small issues now, one can imagine that ten years down the line how this could be significant. This is another example of wishing that we had a true mAss media that covers the game in the same was that hockey or bassball is coverred. We all know so perfectly well the most detailed and even useless machinations or inner workings (and pitfalls) of the talent recruitment process for Hockey, baseball, basketball and football. But we are not sure how it was developed for soccer in this country. If the next gifted kid comes along one day, i think that a lot fans would like to know why he ended up at this club rather than that club. We have seen the shananigans over NCAA recruiting in the US. So it seems to me that this issue is of some significance, especially if there is a really talented kid comming down the pipeline

Its strange how we can understand the about the super draft, suplemental draft, allocation money and distribution, gereration addisas players and contracts, etc but here we are defining important rules about the game in this country and none of us are sure how they have been defined. I am not faulting our own guys here on this forum who work for various outlets. But the gereralist mass media in regards to soccerstill leaves a lot to be desired in this country.

TFC can get a kid from Kitchener if he'd wanted to play for TFC, since Kitchener is outside of the cachement area of all MLS clubs he was free to sign with whoever he wanted to. Each club is able to sign 3 out of area players to their Academy and the Whitecaps did that last year by signing Alderson, Cain and Polakiewicz from Ontario. TFC signed Dylan Carreiro from Manitoba, i speculate the only reason they were able to do so was because Vancouver did not attempt to sign him?

Didnt see your post, prior to my response.

Archived