First choice RB for Fall WCQ?

nolando

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted Diesel although he has not played in a while the competition is not at the highest level so i think he would do find, although i think he is out, recently had knee surgery

btw is Ashtone Morgan a RB or LB i would not mind using him as a sub for the last 15 mins against the minnows.

I voted Kluka as our best option such that we have Kluka and DeJong on the pitch at the same time. Although I'd love to see Straith get a run of games assuming he is a regular on his German team. Wishing Peters was getting regular minutes.

Morgan needs to get the playing time and experience with our nats. If he is competent with his right foot than I have no issue getting him a start or two and definitely sub appearances. As our right back prospects are weak we need to foster/develop whatever we can there!

For goodness sakes do NOT call Diesel. Love what he has done for the CMNT but....his days are done.

Guest ren989

I voted for Peters with the thought in mind that we'd be playing more offensively vs. the lower seeded teams. Wouldn't mind his speed going up the wings.

I voted Diesel although he has not played in a while the competition is not at the highest level so i think he would do find, although i think he is out, recently had knee surgery

btw is Ashtone Morgan a RB or LB i would not mind using him as a sub for the last 15 mins against the minnows.

Morgan normally plays LB for TFC - I have not seen him at any other position - strong with left foot. So, I don't see him as a RB.

I voted for Poz. After seeing the results, I'm a little surprised that my second choice, Straith, hasn't gotten more votes. But then I started thinking Kluka would be a better option. Perhaps the fact he's never played there for the Nats suggests that he's uncomfortable on the right side, but it would be great to have both him and DeJong out there together.

Hart needs to find a way to have one of Dejong or Klukowski play right back. The gulf in skill between Dejong/Klukowski and all our other right back options is pretty huge. I've been saying this for a few years, he needs to work in training to figure out which one to move over and start playing them there in friendlies and the first round of WCQ. If its going to work they are going to have to get time there, so he needs to start now. If it does work this upgrades our defense by a good amount and stops us from keeping a quality player off t he field.

I'd go with Hainault or Ledgerwood (thought the latter didn't convince during the GC) for this first round assuming Jakovic and McKenna are available to start at CB. Really hoping that Straith makes a first team breakthrough at club level and gets back into the mix. I've never rated Pozniak that highly, regardless of what he's doing currently, and I don't think Hart rates him either, fwiw, but you never know come crunch time. Peters' prolonged absence at club level leads me to guess he needs to go elsewhere before the end of the month or in January, be it transfer or loan. Edgar is another option.

It seems like the position is being chosen by default as opposed to someone really stepping up making it his own (something I've been waiting for the last couple of years).

Hart needs to find a way to have one of Dejong or Klukowski play right back. The gulf in skill between Dejong/Klukowski and all our other right back options is pretty huge. I've been saying this for a few years, he needs to work in training to figure out which one to move over and start playing them there in friendlies and the first round of WCQ. If its going to work they are going to have to get time there, so he needs to start now. If it does work this upgrades our defense by a good amount and stops us from keeping a quality player off t he field.

I am not sure how I feel about this. I agree that it would be advantageous for us to put our 11 best on the field, but moving one of them to RB would not help us. Neither has a good enough right foot to put quality balls in the box from the right side. If anything, I would slide Mike to the center since he has played there before.

I think the best thing to do is to get the best out of both by letting them compete for the same left back spot. Is Klukowski or De Jong playing right back better than Pozniak or Hainualt? I do not think so.

Peters by the way shouldn't even be considered as a starter since he is not playing, same goes for straith. Legerwood should come into consideration but he looked out of his depth at GC, he is a B3 player and it showed.

I have to vote for Poz. In years of watching him play I have to say that even though he doesn't stand out he never seems to hurt you either. He is a guy you would like to upgrade but he never is the guy you say, "We have to get him off the field." Plus we have not seen him play for Canada in over 2 years and during those 2 years he has played at a pretty decent level equivalent to that of most of our players and has been mostly a starter. It is quite possible that he has improved somewhat since the last time we have seen him play.

I would agree both Kluka and DeJong are better players but not sure they are still better players when you put them on their off side. Most of the alternatives are either CBs who would be out of position and who are probably not much better quality wise than Poz anyway or young guys who may have more upside long term but who are error prone and defensively weak at the moment. With Poz I think we would at least have a RB who is not going to cost us goals which may not be important in this round but it will be crucial in the next round. He needs to be brought in to the team and get used to playing with them again in this round. Plus Poz is really flexible and can play a lot of positions which is never a bad quality to have available if needed. We have been leaking goals at RB regardless of whether we have played an out of game shape Stalteri or one of the young pretenders to the position. I think we need to solidify this position and our priority needs to be to solidify it defensively. I think we need to go for the steady, reliable and unspectacular solution and to me that would be Poz.

I always thought Ledgerwood was a younger version of Pozniak. Like I said before in my previous post the guys vying for this position seem to be getting it by default, which is a shame. As for Pozniak, the way Grizzly describes him is accurate but I also see a guy needing a fair bit of defensive coverage from midfield in the way that Johnson supported Ledgerwood or Stalteri. I have never been convinced of his defensive 1 v 1 skills over his career and I believe he'd an similar liability to the others mentioned. In general, I always saw him as a guy who could do a job in a pinch (in many positions on the field) but also someone easy to overrate in terms of his contributions.

I have to vote for Poz. In years of watching him play I have to say that even though he doesn't stand out he never seems to hurt you either. He is a guy you would like to upgrade but he never is the guy you say, "We have to get him off the field." Plus we have not seen him play for Canada in over 2 years and during those 2 years he has played at a pretty decent level equivalent to that of most of our players and has been mostly a starter. It is quite possible that he has improved somewhat since the last time we have seen him play.

I would agree both Kluka and DeJong are better players but not sure they are still better players when you put them on their off side. Most of the alternatives are either CBs who would be out of position and who are probably not much better quality wise than Poz anyway or young guys who may have more upside long term but who are error prone and defensively weak at the moment. With Poz I think we would at least have a RB who is not going to cost us goals which may not be important in this round but it will be crucial in the next round. He needs to be brought in to the team and get used to playing with them again in this round. Plus Poz is really flexible and can play a lot of positions which is never a bad quality to have available if needed. We have been leaking goals at RB regardless of whether we have played an out of game shape Stalteri or one of the young pretenders to the position. I think we need to solidify this position and our priority needs to be to solidify it defensively. I think we need to go for the steady, reliable and unspectacular solution and to me that would be Poz.

Agree

If you don't have one right back strong enough on both sides of the ball I've always supported the idea of situational right backs. For example if we are on the road in Honduras and need a more defensive approach I'd like to see Hainault start he would give us that extra boost off set pieces both offensively and defensively while being more of a defensive full back. On the other hand if we are playing Cuba at home in a match where we should be putting them away then I'd like to see a quicker option back there to cut off any pace they may have on the counter. For this you would obviously want a guy like Peters or maybe even Pozniak. What do people think? Obviously not as ideal as having an out and out all around right back but the reality is that we need 2+ players at each position anyways to be successful.

Archived