TFC vs DC August 6th, 2011

finchster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iro is done for us! He has cost us 3 PK's in 3 games in a row which I am sure it's a record!

Defending is killing this team! In Canadian POV, at least a lot of Canadians played in this game.

What a goal by JDG (his first goal in his MLS career).

That was horrifying.

TFC up a man for 90% of the game lets in three goals and gets outplayed from about minute 80 on, oh and the guy we traded scores 3 goals on us and the guy we acquired makes Nick Garcia look like Paulo Maldini.

Starting to lose interest in having Winter back next year.

That was horrifying.

TFC up a man for 90% of the game lets in three goals and gets outplayed from about minute 80 on, oh and the guy we traded scores 3 goals on us and the guy we acquired makes Nick Garcia look like Paulo Maldini.

To be fair Winter made many of the correct tactical changes at halftime to take advantage, but he couldn't have counted on the game Iro had.

TFC been traveling a lot lately! So I understand why some of TFC players just didn't have it tonight!

Iro contract ends after this season is over. So that's good news for us. I think we need put Frings as a CB until we get legit CB since we don't have a defender or two who is capable enough to play CB right now.

To be fair DC's GK was nearly as bad as Iro.

I'm amazed at how bad TFC's talent evaluation of defenders is. Mariner and Winter included.

I think the travel hurt the team a bit, but TFC looked awful.

Frings looks like he's going to go to his car and get a gun every game judging by how mad he gets at everyone.

How many PK's has Frei ever stopped? I've never seen one.

I don't understand the decision to sub Eckersley and Henry when clearly we're a man up and Iro is the worst technical player in the whole stadium. I was happy for De Ro he had a hell of a game and was playing with the confidence we could use for Canada. He turned Frings like he was an average player and was smart on the ball, I didn't see any selfish plays from him either.

De Guzman was looking like his old self out there even without the goal he was moving his feet quickly, getting good position and winning balls and spraying balls out wide for the overlap.

Sung to the tune of Henry Bellafonte's Banana Boat Song

Deeeero, me say Deeeero

Dero come and score us a goal

6 shot, 7 shot, 8 shot, GOAL!

Dero come and score us a goal

What a freaky game. Red card for the DC keeper at the 7 minute mark and yet you only get a single point? Dero comes through in triplicate for his team yet again. Holy hattrick Batman. Player of the week 2 weeks in a row.

I said after the Champions league game mid-week that I wasn't convinced about Iro. I'm now convinced, but of something else completely. At this point I'm actually hoping that Harden starts ahead of him, and me wanting that takes some doing. That has to be a club record to have given away pk's in three straight games. That's not even counting the shocking gift on the 2nd goal which pissed off Frings & Winter more than anything else I've seen during their time at this club.

It may also be a record for most goals scored by Canadians in an MLS game. Too bad three of them were for the American team though. Still, nice to see so many Canadians in total on the pitch - 7 in total I think (8 if you count Onstad as part of the collective DC coaching spazz after the De Guzman goal ;) ).

Good thing we're not really in a playoff chase, as giving up those two points would have pissed me off a hell of a lot more.

What a freaky game. Red card for the DC keeper at the 7 minute mark and yet you only get a single point?

True, though with Iro on the field tonight being worse than useless you could argue that TFC only had 10 professionals on the pitch at any one time as well.

I said after the Champions league game mid-week that I wasn't convinced about Iro. I'm now convinced, but of something else completely. At this point I'm actually hoping that Harden starts ahead of him, and me wanting that takes some doing. That has to be a club record to have given away pk's in three straight games. That's not even counting the shocking gift on the 2nd goal which pissed off Frings & Winter more than anything else I've seen during their time at this club.

It may also be a record for most goals scored by Canadians in an MLS game. Too bad three of them were for the American team though. Still, nice to see so many Canadians in total on the pitch - 7 in total I think (8 if you count Onstad as part of the collective DC coaching spazz after the De Guzman goal ;) ).

Good thing we're not really in a playoff chase, as giving up those two points would have pissed me off a hell of a lot more.

I was only able to catch the second half of the game. But with each game i am more and more impressed with the acdemy products. During last weeks game, Some one mentioned at the pub that morgan was getting beaten defensively, but i was noticing the quality of his crosses. And again tonight every single cross that i saw of him was of high quality. One led to goal. I dont think that i have seen balls of that quality delivered from our left back in five years. I think that he has nailed down a starting spot.

Regarding the rest of the game, no sence in repeating whats been said of the Iro horror show. Though as Keegan pointed out there were agressive subsititutions made by Winter that sacrificed defense. So that to be equally a reasons for the lapses. Winter rolled the dice somewhat and i dont blame him for that. Overall, he has been a good coach this season. And no rookie coaches will go a whole season without making mistakes. Plus he is in an unfamiliar league with players he doesnt know and probably has never heard of. I shake my head in disbelief at the suggestion earlier in the thread calling for his head. How the hell any sports organization ever going to win anything by changing their coaches every single ****ing year.

Regarding the rest of the game, no sence in repeating whats been said of the Iro horror show. Though as Keegan pointed out there were agressive subsititutions made by Winter that sacrificed defense. So that to be equally a reasons for the lapses. Winter rolled the dice somewhat and i dont blame him for that. Overall, he has been a good coach this season. And no rookie coaches will go a whole season without making mistakes. I shake my head in disbelief at the suggestion earlier in the thread calling for his head. How the hell is any sports organization ever going to win anything by changing their coaches every single ****ing year.

Winter did his job tonight. I thought he made good subs but he can't be blame for Iro mistakes. At some point you would expect an NCAA player to make those plays everytime.

I think TFC aren't that far from assembling a decent squad. A couple of solid CB are needed but I liked what I see from the midfield and forwards.

Not sure what's going on with Frei but that first goal was weak.

more from DeGuz please - what a cracker - and anyways, I've always been against subs during free kicks or opposition throws - doesn't give your guy time to get in the game.

Someone on the TFC board noted that DeRo did not do his usual stutter step goal celebration against his old team. I hope someone on TFC and fans give him respect for that. He was all business, but no gloat. That's classy

Anyone know where I can find a link for a video of this game? First TFC gam ever I haven't watched live or attended - I'm a little desperate.

Highlights are here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2011-08-06-dc-united-vs-toronto-fc/highlights

The gap in talent level between the top and bottom players is so shocking sometimes in MLS, as it was in this match. Guys who could play in Europe next to guys who shouldn't even have a NASL contract. That and the attendance is absolutely pathetic at times.

Great night for Canucks, truly amazing stuff from DDR. He, like Radzinski, and precious few others, could probably play at this level until age 40 if he wanted. Like him or not, sometimes you just have to stand up and applaud. Such an enigma.

I haven't enjoyed watching an MLS match this much in years. Brilliant.

If you can't do what you have to do in rebuilding your team (as Winter & Co. odviously are) and still some how be unable to manage to work DDR into that process, at least temporarily, I'm going to question your abilities and judgement as a manager. I'm willing to give Winter the benefit of the doubt at this point, things being what the were when he got to TFC the circumstances of all parties might have already written-off DDR's remaining time in Toronto but man, what a loss.

That benefit of the doubt I extend to Winter however will entirely evaporate if Iro so much as gets a shirt to wear on the bench never mind take the field at some point in the next couple of weeks. He's played himself squarely onto the reserve squad. Not saying pitch him into the trash altogether, he's a young guy, there's still hope he can improve, but he needs a time out and a stern lesson. Badly.

Fun match to watch.

That was horrifying.

The problem with Pro Sports right here. Look at Alex Ferguson's history, and you will see that very early on, he struggled and was on the verge of being sacked. I bet they're glad they didn't do that. Granted, Winter isn't Ferguson, but there needs to be some patience with Managers in any sport.

I was happy for De Ro he had a hell of a game and was playing with the confidence we could use for Canada. He turned Frings like he was an average player and was smart on the ball, I didn't see any selfish plays from him either.

That happened once, and only because DeRo had a headlock on Frings and should have been called for a foul.

DeRo got extremely lucky thanks to the clusterfuck that was Andy Iro's game last night, but full credit to him for putting them away when given the chances.

TFC with some well-needed rest now. What a hectic past few weeks.

That happened once, and only because DeRo had a headlock on Frings and should have been called for a foul.

DeRo got extremely lucky thanks to the clusterfuck that was Andy Iro's game last night, but full credit to him for putting them away when given the chances.

TFC with some well-needed rest now. What a hectic past few weeks.

Yeah, DeRosario was lucky. Thats exactly what I was thinking... Get serious. The guy was on fire, he ripped apart Frings, Frei, Iro and the rest and he did so with style and class. He was the best player on the pitch and will no doubt be getting MLS player of the week honours for the second week in a row. If anything he was unlucky not to get get a couple more.

You have to almost feel sorry for Frings. I wonder if he had any idea what kind of team he was signing on to. His reactions on the pitch after every bonehead play by his team mates are priceless.

I'll go back to what I've said before, I have no doubt that Winter could pick up beer league players from the Toronto area that are better than some of the players starting at TFC.

Credit where credit is due though... It must have been pretty hard to find a player to start that was even worse the Hardin. Thats amazing.

Yeah, DeRosario was lucky. Thats exactly what I was thinking... Get serious.

Oh hi. I love it when you quote my entire post but only respond to one small part of it.

I'm deadly serious about DeRo's game last night. Unless you think that a routine ball going through Iro's legs and falling to a wide open DeRo was some sort of divine skill on DeRo's part, then yes, he was very lucky.

The first goal was superb skill, but he was handed the second and third. Again, full credit to him for opportunistically putting the latter two away, but let's not act like he created those goals. They were as much due to Iro as they were to DeRo.

I get it James. You're not going to be satisfied until every single TFC player is Canadian, no matter what. Toronto is actually giving Canadian kids a good look and some of them are succeeding. Of the five Canadians that saw the pitch for TFC against DC, three were 20 years old or younger. Two of those youngsters started on the backline.

That's where your hyerbole fails. Outside of Iro, who else that started for TFC last night -- and wan't Canadian -- had such a terrible game that a "beer league player" from the Toronto area could start ahead of him? Frei? Frings? Koevermans? Plata? Avila? Johnson?

The backline is admittedly still a mess, but it's already 50% Canadian now. And if you haven't noticed, the attack has gotten much, much better since the roster overhaul. They're far from being a "good" MLS team, but it's hardly the collection of bums that wore the shirt for the first half of the season.

And if you'll recall, that collection of bums still strolled over Canadian-heavy Edmonton without breaking a sweat. The current team would romp FCE, which speaks to the unfortunately shallow nature of the Canadian player pool at the moment.

Archived