Di Lorenzo to play for Canada?

Moldy9

I don't know if this was ever discussed on this forum but I had read an article on the impact site ( http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&Media=1 ) that Leo Di Lorenzo, the Argentine LM for Mtl Impact, was on the verge of receiving his Cdn Citizenship. When that happens what are his chances of playing for the Canadian National team? Is he good enough to be called up? Thoughts/comments?

Frei would not meet residency requirements until about 2014 (If TFC doesn't trade him away like the rest of their roster).

Even so, according to his Wikipedia, though there is no source, he is committed to a Swiss call-up. I imagine the US would be his second choice anyways so I don't imagine this would pan out for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Frei

Though if Canada manages to qualify for the 2014 World Cup and he has yet to be capped by then, it could be tempting for him.

Not only has he lost a step he seems to have lost the desire to run at all. I don't know how many times I have watched game highlights this year and saw a player lose the ball and not make any effort to run and get it again often leading to a goal or scoring chance. I rewatch the play afterwards to see who it was who did this and it has very often been DiLorenzo. It is debateable whether guys like DiLorenzo and Testo were good enough in their prime to play for Canada anyway. We can all remember the fiasco of Yallop calling up a whole lot of Impact players who were well below international level. I doubt Testo was good enough to be anything more than a depth player but DiLorenzo did have some skills we were lacking so he might have done ok. Neither are anywhere close to international level at the moment and I doubt either will make the jump to MLS although a couple of years ago both probably could have. If there was one guy other than Gerba who might be a good player for Canada at the moment it would probably be Sebrango but he is cap tied to Cuba. That a 38 year old player coming out of retirement is the best player on the team besides the keeper is a pretty sad commentary on the Impact this year.

I don't know if this was ever discussed on this forum but I had read an article on the impact site ( http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&Media=1 ) that Leo Di Lorenzo, the Argentine LM for Mtl Impact, was on the verge of receiving his Cdn Citizenship. When that happens what are his chances of playing for the Canadian National team? Is he good enough to be called up? Thoughts/comments?

I assume you mean the national beach soccerball team. Perhaps. Unless Argentina scoop him up.

Not only has he lost a step he seems to have lost the desire to run at all. I don't know how many times I have watched game highlights this year and saw a player lose the ball and not make any effort to run and get it again often leading to a goal or scoring chance. I rewatch the play afterwards to see who it was who did this and it has very often been DiLorenzo. It is debateable whether guys like DiLorenzo and Testo were good enough in their prime to play for Canada anyway. We can all remember the fiasco of Yallop calling up a whole lot of Impact players who were well below international level. I doubt Testo was good enough to be anything more than a depth player but DiLorenzo did have some skills we were lacking so he might have done ok. Neither are anywhere close to international level at the moment and I doubt either will make the jump to MLS although a couple of years ago both probably could have. If there was one guy other than Gerba who might be a good player for Canada at the moment it would probably be Sebrango but he is cap tied to Cuba. That a 38 year old player coming out of retirement is the best player on the team besides the keeper is a pretty sad commentary on the Impact this year.

Funny, I was going to say, if a naturalized foreigner on the Impact is helpful to the CMNT it would be Sebrango not DiLorenzo... although I didn't realize he was cap-tied to Cuba, I had thought he defected from a youth team. That sucks for him, as I'm sure if not for the whole defection/excommunication thing he could start for Cuba right now, so in effect he has two nationalities neither of which he can play for.

Archived