The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Does anybody ever just stop in the middle of this discussions and just get really, really depressed that they even have to take place?

Man, I wish Hoilett would just settle his sh*t in Blackburn and pull on a Maple Leaf... the longer he goes without doing it the less I expect him to.

If you are expecting Hoilett to play for Canada after he signs his new deal, expect to be disapointed.

Agree.

I think that Junior is thinking about playing for us but is being advised to play the "wait and see" game with the English NT. I remember seeing him wear a Canada polo in a video of him on youtube juggling a ball on his head. I don't really think giving him flags or whatever after a game will sway him. He knows who he is and where he is from I am sure.

Agree.

I think that Junior is thinking about playing for us but is being advised to play the "wait and see" game with the English NT. I remember seeing him wear a Canada polo in a video of him on youtube juggling a ball on his head. I don't really think giving him flags or whatever after a game will sway him. He knows who he is and where he is from I am sure.

One thing to remeber here guys. O*** H********* situations was the bloodline thing. Parents and siblings were British Born. So by most peoples reckoning (and I mean wider than just football terms) he was half British/English anyway. (Some one mentioned the bloodline regarding JDG2 a little earlier in he thread)

Juniors situation regarding an England cap is much looser and IMO highly unlikley at the end of the day.

Guest Brethers

I've said it before, but I don't know if he'd even be able to play for England. He would get a british passport, and as he has no English heritage he will need to have been schooled for 5 years to play. It is similar to arteta and almunia I do believe

I've said it before, but I don't know if he'd even be able to play for England. He would get a british passport, and as he has no English heritage he will need to have been schooled for 5 years to play. It is similar to arteta and almunia I do believe

What is meant by schooling? Does that mean be in a pro system as a youth and living and training before 18? Because if that was the case I don't really think he meets that criteria but obviously if any given English coach pushed for someone I'd imagine they'd relax it? If they turned down Arteta and Almunia I can't see them taking Hoilett at the end of the day.

What is meant by schooling? Does that mean be in a pro system as a youth and living and training before 18? Because if that was the case I don't really think he meets that criteria but obviously if any given English coach pushed for someone I'd imagine they'd relax it? If they turned down Arteta and Almunia I can't see them taking Hoilett at the end of the day.

No. Even England are not that powerful. Ryan giggs was born in Cardiff but has lived most of his life in the "Greater Manchester" Area. He played for England as a senior schoolboy.

"Born in Cardiff to Welsh parents, Giggs represented Wales at international level. As a youngster, Giggs captained England Schoolboys. Contrary to popular belief, he was never eligible for the full England team (eligibility at the schoolboy level depends solely upon the location of the school, in Giggs' case Moorside High School in Salford).

Story goes however that Lawrie Macmenamie, then Graham Taylors (England Manager) right hand man, tried to bring him into the Senior Ranks on the Grandparent ruling but the Welsh FA pulled rank and he was told it was Wales or nothing.

Sadly I think the moral of this thread now is "We can do nothing but sit, wait, and watch." Might as well turn our energy towards ensuring large Voyageurs sections and our home matches, and spreading the Canadian soccer gospel as much as we can. Can anyone photoshop Jesus wearing our white Umbro kit?

Guest Brethers

I'm not sure about the school rules. He moved there at 12/13 didn't he? If the schooling is just for compulsary schooling he isn't eligibile at all. However if David went to sixth form or college and the rules include non compulsary schooling, he would be eligible. As far as I know it's to do with Britain being the actual country, so to represent one of England, Wales, Scotland, NI you need to have been schooled there for 5 years (if you are being naturalised). Something similar happened with Andy Driver wanting to play for Scotland. He had no family links, and under the gentleman's agreement with the "home" FAs he was told he couldn't play as he hadn't been in the Scottish education system for 5 years. I may look for this when I get home to see if David qualifies.

I could be completely wrong though, which would be typical. Unfortunately Tuscan I think you may be right. We just have to sit tight and hope he accepts a call

"Having turned 21 in the summer, Hoilett has already played 62 times for Blackburn and is yet to decide his international future, eligible for Canada, Jamaica and Nicaragua as well as England."

Nicaragua?! Did I miss something? When did they come into play? Clearly he wouldn't chose to play for them but it's funny how these countries keep popping up.

"Having turned 21 in the summer, Hoilett has already played 62 times for Blackburn and is yet to decide his international future, eligible for Canada, Jamaica and Nicaragua as well as England."

Nicaragua?! Did I miss something? When did they come into play? Clearly he wouldn't chose to play for them but it's funny how these countries keep popping up.

Lol the person who wrote the article clearly fell for the wikipedia change.

I apologize to the many that I'm sure are aware of this, but to those that don't it's pretty interesting... How Wayne Rooney's bro, and cousin would both have no sweat declaring for Ireland if the FAI ever came calling. The cousin has never even set foot in Ireland.

http://news.sky.com/home/sky-news-archive/article/1312932

I take it you have never lived in Liverpool. I once heard My old (irish) Tutor at Liverpool JMU refered to 'the Pool' as Belfast without the Agro. Its full of first generation Paddies and Taffies. It even has Orange Lodges and Provo Pubs an evritin'.

Back in the 80's 90's it was considered by some that you'd never see an IRA campaign waged there as it was so 'Irish' it would spark a Balkans style Civil War on the Mainland-Something Maguniess' boys never wanted.

Liverpool's Universities were full of Irish students.

Its was the one place were they could mingle away from the confines of the cultural/ sectarian divide.

Anyway... Where do you think the Name Rooney comes from? Messapotamia?:)

Edited by alberta white