The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Every team is in need of a player like Davies.  He is 17 and starting to consistently outplay men in a legitimate league. With his upside the question will be who will pay the most or who is he most comfortable with.  Tabla ended up at Barca and in what I saw of him in MLS, he was not nearly as good as Davies.

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Every team is in need of a player like Davies.  He is 17 and starting to consistently outplay men in a legitimate league. With his upside the question will be who will pay the most or who is he most comfortable with.  Tabla ended up at Barca and in what I saw of him in MLS, he was not nearly as good as Davies.

Barca B... bottom of LaLiga2 Barca B.

But yeah, like you said, every team wants a 17 yo payer with his upside. Davies is already on the radar of the biggest clubs in EPL. Personally I'd like him to go to Liverpool. A canadian duo of Davies and Millar leading Liverpools offense would be a dream.

oops, with all the davies talk, I kinda forgot this was the Hoilett thread

Edited by Shakmur

Yeah Davies is 17 right now and obviously is a 17 year old with talent. Not a lot of 17 year olds especially in the game of modern football are this talented but Davies is of the rare bunch. I mean he's already playing in MLS at his age and if that is true and he is on the EPL radar then just think of how good he can be as time goes especially heading into the 2022 and 2026 FIFA World Cup cycles.

However, back to Junior Hoilett now that he is gonna continue on with Cardiff it should be interesting to see where his team ends up in the table for this upcoming season post World Cup.

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I am still not completely convinced of this, though admittedly my opinion has shifted a bit on both players since the start of the 2017 MLS season.

Back then, I would have said wholeheartedly that Tabla was the better player, nothing against Davies of course. Both were and continue to be, world class prospects with world class potential. 

Since then, we had the 2017 Gold Cup, where Davies broke out to become young player of the tournament amd joint-leading goal scorer. Tabla of course had a somewhat shock transfer to Barcelona, and has already played and scored with the B team. So a lot has happened and the sample size is bigger now.

And like I said, Davies is better than I initially gave him credit for, and he has more tools in his locker than I thought. My biggest prior criticism would have been that Davies was too vertical, but clearly he can mix it up. That being said, Tabla, who was and still is more polished on the ball, has looked very good in the few games I have watched since he left MLS. 

I like Davies way more as a personality, and he is ours too, so there's that, but at this stage, I would very reluctantly give a slight edge to Davies if I was forced.

Just because Tabla is very unlikable for a multitude of reasons won't stop me from rating him highly.

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I am still not completely convinced of this, though admittedly my opinion has shifted a bit since both players since the start of the 2017 MLS season.

Back then, I would have said wholeheartedly that Tabla was the better player, nothing against Davies of course. Both were and continue to be, world class prospects with world class potential.

Since then, we had the 2017 Gold Cup, where Davies broke out to become young player of the tournament and joint-leading goal scorer. Tabla of course had a somewhat shock transfer to Barcelona, and has already played and scored with the B team. So a lot has happened and the sample size is bigger now.

And like I said, Davies is better than I initially gave him credit for, and he has more tools in his locker than I thought, but Tabla for me has looked very good in the few games I have watched since he left MLS. 

I like Davies way more as a personality, and he is ours too, so there's that, but at this stage, I would very reluctantly give a slight edge to Davies if I was forced.

Just because Tabla is very unlikable for a multitude of reasons won't stop me from rating him highly.

Edit: apology for the double post guys.

Edited by Obinna

38 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Best news available for Hoilett.

On Davies, be interested to see if he would get a work permit for an English team at this point.

Can't recall the regulation. Is it that players must play in 50% of their national team games AND come from a nation ranked in the top 70? Something like that? I think we are ranked low 80's or high 70's, are we not?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can't recall the regulation. Is it that players must play in 50% of their national team games AND come from a nation ranked in the top 70? Something like that? I think we are ranked low 80's or high 70's, are we not?

Yea but it’s also to do with other factors.  As a young phenom with a continental golden boot I don’t think he’d struggle to get a work permit even if he’s just missed that threshold (which isn’t by much, if at all). 

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He would fail the automatic, would have to go a "outstanding talent" (I think that's the term) appeal.  A bunch of things go into the points for that, including fee paid.

It look like it is 60th place, but it requires more legalese than I have to decipher this quickly.

https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/premierleague/document/2017/09/27/bfb4b8a2-55c4-45c4-a5f0-c2abbd6a6f4b/PL_Handbook_2017-18_FINAL.pdf

Starts pg.653

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford
Added link.

Well doesn't age also play a very big factor? Since he's only 17 and not 18 I don't know, that's why I am asking.

Since he can't transfer until he's 18 anyway then that's good. I say that because if he keeps staying consistent for the Whitecaps until he turns 18 putting on great performances the more clubs that are out there European wise will start to notice him especially if he is that talented which we know that he is. By that I mean the more offers that come in for him the more and more options he has when he does leave the club at 18 which is inevitable. However, for all we know he can stay in the MLS even past the age of 18.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Since he can't transfer until he's 18 anyway then that's good. I say that because if he keeps staying consistent for the Whitecaps until he turns 18 putting on great performances the more clubs that are out there European wise will start to notice him especially if he is that talented which we know that he is. By that I mean the more offers that come in for him the more and more options he has when he does leave the club at 18 which is inevitable. However, for all we know he can stay in the MLS even past the age of 18.

I haven’t got a clue what your trying to say here.

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I haven’t got a clue what your trying to say here.

To summarize:

• it is inevitable that he will leave the club at 18
  • he might stay at the club beyond 18
  • its good that he can't transfer before 18 so that he can impress clubs in order to earn a transfer
  • the more offers he has, the more options he will have
Edited by dyslexic nam

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

To summarize:

• it is inevitable that he will leave the club at 18
  • he might stay at the club beyond 18
  • its good that he can't transfer before 18 so that he can impress clubs in order to earn a transfer
  • the more offers he has, the more options he will have

Well if he wants to properly prepare for his future then he could very well leave the club at 18. However, he could very well decide to stay on in Vancouver at 18 and beyond but we don't really know. Not to mention yes it is good that he can't transfer before 18 because if he stays at his club and continues to have good performances for the Whitecaps then performance-wise he can continue to impress more clubs in order to earn a transfer. Believe me he will get offers that is just a given but performance wise if he continues to impress, the more offers he will get from teams outside of the MLS and then and only then will he have his options of where he wants to go. He won't just have limited options but more so a lot more options.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I honestly forgot that this was the Junior thread.  Let's get back on topic.

I am uber excited about seeing him play in EPL next year.  He will be a massive piece of the puzzle if we hope to qualify for 2022.  

Yes I want to get back on the topic of Junior Hoilett anyway. However, that being said with him still playing for Cardiff in the EPL I can say that I am excited. I am excited because I love EPL. I always have and seeing him play for a team like Cardiff it only begs the question of how his team will even do in this new season that will start after the World Cup is over. I mean Cardiff is an okay team but as far as how they do in the table, I say they will finish middle of the table.

4 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Yes I want to get back on the topic of Junior Hoilett anyway. However, that being said with him still playing for Cardiff in the EPL I can say that I am excited. I am excited because I love EPL. I always have and seeing him play for a team like Cardiff it only begs the question of how his team will even do in this new season that will start after the World Cup is over. I mean Cardiff is an okay team but as far as how they do in the table, I say they will finish middle of the table.

To be perfectly honest Cardiff are most likely fighting to stay up next year as most newly promoted teams are.

5 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

To be perfectly honest Cardiff are most likely fighting to stay up next year as most newly promoted teams are.

They are the bookies' favourite to go down.  We will see: Wolves look like they are spending (the bookies love them) and Fulham came on strong but have a lost a piece or two. 

Cardiff look to be spending sensibly so far which is good for the long term but maybe not for staying up.  Hope they do well, despite their manager.  

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They are the bookies' favourite to go down.  We will see: Wolves look like they are spending (the bookies love them) and Fulham came on strong but have a lost a piece or two. 

Cardiff look to be spending sensibly so far which is good for the long term but maybe not for staying up.  Hope they do well, despite their manager.  

The bookies also had Leicester at 5000/1 ?

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

And it’s a once in a lifetime story where everything went right for us and we got a lot late winners or 1 goal wins 

I'm still waiting for them to make a movie about your 2015-16 season...