The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sounds like Junior is looking to get a pay bump.  Given his role in winning promotion, that is entirely understandable, but I hope he doesn't price himself out of the EPL.  

he always pulls this shit lmao

9 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

What? Why?

You ask me why? Well in order for him to truly grow more as a player or in the future get noticed by bigger clubs then the next best thing would be for him to move clubs. If he stays on the club he is on now how likely would it be that he gets noticed by a bigger club? Just my opinion anyway :)

53 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sounds like Junior is looking to get a pay bump.  Given his role in winning promotion, that is entirely understandable, but I hope he doesn't price himself out of the EPL.  

Price himself out of the EPL? If he does that, where is he going to go? If the EPL can't afford him, then nobody can.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

You ask me why? Well in order for him to truly grow more as a player or in the future get noticed by bigger clubs then the next best thing would be for him to move clubs. If he stays on the club he is on now how likely would it be that he gets noticed by a bigger club? Just my opinion anyway :)

Hold up. Which big clubs do you honestly think are chomping at the bit to sign a 28 year old Canadian who hasn't scored a top flight goal in 5 years? He needs to stay at Cardiff this season, and prove himself to be a premier league caliber player again. To make a move now would be a mistake IMO.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

Well he'd likely be a starter at Cardiff, playing a bunch of games in the most watched league in the world is basically the most noticable you can be. As mentioned above, he's in his prime right now, and for a player who is pretty reliant on his pace and quick trickery, isn't really going to grow much more at 28 years old. He wont be moving to a top 6 premier league club, he lost that chance with his poor years at QPR. 

17 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Well he'd likely be a starter at Cardiff, playing a bunch of games in the most watched league in the world is basically the most noticable you can be. As mentioned above, he's in his prime right now, and for a player who is pretty reliant on his pace and quick trickery, isn't really going to grow much more at 28 years old. He wont be moving to a top 6 premier league club, he lost that chance with his poor years at QPR. 

Yeah I guess I can see your point and really he has more or less hit his ceiling already. The man is 28 already so who even knows how much longer he will last for the national team. 2026 he could feature but I doubt it because by then he would be 35-36 by then.

Out of contract and just helped a team to promotion. Hmmm.  If there were ever a moment to leverage yourself to a long term deal it is now. A two year deal isn’t much love from Cardiff for his services.  How much money did he just guarantee them?   He should be talking about DP status and $5 million for 4 years in MLS. Who is his agent.  Where are the “rumours “ of Joey saputo making a splash?

22 hours ago, ghostknownunknown said:

Hold up. Which big clubs do you honestly think are chomping at the bit to sign a 28 year old Canadian who hasn't scored a top flight goal in 5 years? He needs to stay at Cardiff this season, and prove himself to be a premier league caliber player again. To make a move now would be a mistake IMO.

It’s all about the deal the money and term. Cardiff think he’s going to give a hometown discount just because he loves Wales?  

1 hour ago, Ruud said:

It’s all about the deal the money and term. Cardiff think he’s going to give a hometown discount just because he loves Wales?  

IIRC the article says Cardiff already put a big deal down on the table. I am sure it would put him as one of their highest paid players. Question is if it's enough for him, I guess.

Whatever happens his contract needs to be signed well before the fall so there are no issues   With him playing in the Concacaf nations games. Hopefully we are calling a strong squad to build some familiarity with each other after the complete absence of games and Junior needs to be there without issue.

42 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Whatever happens his contract needs to be signed well before the fall so there are no issues   With him playing in the Concacaf nations games. Hopefully we are calling a strong squad to build some familiarity with each other after the complete absence of games and Junior needs to be there without issue.

Well he does I mean he is an integral part of our squad

If once again he opts out because he wants more money then I'm done with this dude. An opportunity to play in the Premier League but because he's not getting overpaid he'd rather go back down to the Championship where it's easier.

At this rate I'm happy Davies is coming along well because If Hoilett is content to coast along and get paid then I'd rather Davies start for Canada.

33 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

If once again he opts out because he wants more money then I'm done with this dude. An opportunity to play in the Premier League but because he's not getting overpaid he'd rather go back down to the Championship where it's easier.

At this rate I'm happy Davies is coming along well because If Hoilett is content to coast along and get paid then I'd rather Davies start for Canada.

It's called a contract negotiation. It's his job, his livelihood, and his agent is doing his job to make sure his client is getting fairly compensated. Chill out man.

I don't think money is the sole issue here:

"I think this is the best place for him, but you do have to have your principles as well, so let's see if we can sort it out in the next few weeks."

What is Warnock talking about here? He would not have used that word if it was solely about money.

What are the other issues then? Is he afraid of not being a starter? Is he afraid of getting locked into a two year deal when he very well knows the perils of multi-year deals leading to being stuck with a relegated team? Is it something to do with the training schedule or rest days (work/life balance), or the ability to play for Canada during FIFA windows?

I mean if he has a chance to play in the Premier League for Cardiff then hey more power to him. I mean if he wants more money then he obviously feels that he is worth a lot more even though it is debatable. However, if he does leave Cardiff then what better league for him to go to than to go home to the MLS?

1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

Fair enough but from a national team perspective it's not a good move.

It's only a bad move if he doesn't re-sign. They're negotiating, let's wait and see what happens before passing judgement.

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I don't think money is the sole issue here:

"I think this is the best place for him, but you do have to have your principles as well, so let's see if we can sort it out in the next few weeks."

What is Warnock talking about here? He would not have used that word if it was solely about money.

What are the other issues then? Is he afraid of not being a starter? Is he afraid of getting locked into a two year deal when he very well knows the perils of multi-year deals leading to being stuck with a relegated team? Is it something to do with the training schedule or rest days (work/life balance), or the ability to play for Canada during FIFA windows?

I think Warnock is probably just referring to the kind of disciplined financial mechanisms the club has to have put in place in case of immediate relegation.  That would likely include substantial cuts to salaries if they drop back down, and probably a fairly  strict wage structure.  As jpg75 said, I think we are just hearing negotiation noises.