The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

2 hours ago, badname22 said:

Who is the best PK taker on the CMNT? Cavalllini? 

DeRo. ;)

Joking aside, anyone but Hoilett. :)

Of the players who are likely to be on the pitch and not having seen any pens taken in training, I'd go with Arfield.

And some might be surprised to hear me say that Davies would also be high on my list; the kid has uncommon composure for his young age. Obviously Larin too.

Edited by dsqpr

Fulham must have won over the weekend, because they are now 2 points behind Cardiff for the final automatic promotion place.

I said in another thread the loss to Wolves was a massive missed opportunity.

Fortunately, they have a game in hand on Fulham, but they have to make it count. 

14 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

De Jong if not Arfield. Coolest two under pressure.  

Arfield for sure after him maybe Vitoria, Edgar, Atiba or Johnson who have all taken penalties for us and/or their clubs with success. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Fulham must have won over the weekend, because they are now 2 points behind Cardiff for the final automatic promotion place.

I said in another thread the loss to Wolves was a massive missed opportunity.

Fortunately, they have a game in hand on Fulham, but they have to make it count. 

The game in hand is away to Villa so definitely not favourites there!

I had not realized how much harder Cardiff's run-in is compared to Fulham. So this is a lot closer than I initially thought but Colin has a way of getting his teams over the line.

51 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

The game in hand is away to Villa so definitely not favourites there!

I had not realized how much harder Cardiff's run-in is compared to Fulham. So this is a lot closer than I initially thought but Colin has a way of getting his teams over the line.

Ouch. John Terry and friends will be tough. At least a win would end Villa's chances, one would think. Then it's down to just Fulham, who are just refusing to drop points at the moment, unfortuntely.

Good article on Colin that mentions his "bond" with Hoilett.

Neil Warnock is not alone in thinking that the end-of-season awards are dished out too early.

The Cardiff boss was named EFL Championship Manager of the Season last week, but the announcement was sandwiched between two results that proved damaging to their hopes of finishing in the top two.

But who, if anyone, should have been included from his side? There are two names, at least, that he feels should have been in. You'll be hard-pressed to find closer bonds between managers and players than those between Warnock, Junior Hoilett and Sol Bamba.

"You just have a relationship with some players," he said. "Junior and Sol stayed with me through the summer [of 2016] when I could have had other jobs but they didn't materialise. Then instead of going and signing for other clubs, they waited until I'd found a club, which was special. And it's worked out lovely.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11704/11319431/neil-warnock-interview-manager-of-the-season-award-cardiffs-promotion-aims-and-premier-league-hopes

Oh Phuket, late winna from Villa and Cottagers also win. So Bluebirds now a point out of automatic but with a game in hand (but a worse GD).

Edited by dsqpr

55 minutes ago, nolando said:

Wonder if this is his sweet spot...top of the second tier. Kind of like a latter day Pesch saddled with the job of carrying teams towards promotion but not likely to follow them up.

why wouldnt he follow them up? he has been one of their top players all season and has a great relationship with the manager... still need to finish second place but today was a great result for Cardiff

I think it's all mentality with Junior. Fingers crossed, touch wood (Not what I meant pervert) hug a rabbit foot, he has found some peace and maturity with his ambitions and football on and off the pitch.

He was a top 6 premier league player when at Blackburn with huge career potential. He was one of the hottest young talents going. Whether it was poor judgement on his part or bad guidance he went to a more lucrative contract ahead of better footballing moves (imo). To be fair QPR were also a wolf in sheep's clothing at the time throwing money at everything that moved but ultimately signing mercenaries and players on the come down from big club's that didn't care. For the bravado it was never sustainable. He had injury problems and got sucked down and buried there.

Warnock and finally sorting his national team allegiance has been the best thing for his career imo. He is a top league player, of that I have no doubt. It's the right club and right manager like with most players that will see him realize that potential.

If they make it to the premier league it is a story of redemption for junior and hopefully just the first chapter. 

4 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Well said toontownman. I also heard Junior put on a bit of weight and got out of shape after signing with QPR, any truth to it?

Possibly to a small extent but it seemed as though he was always fit to play. Unfortunately QPR had a parade of managers that did not really rate him and did not use him effectively so his playing time was very limited and the fans were not very happy with him. Typical QPR. Some clubs have a way of getting the best out of people but QPR always seem to do the opposite.

Sorry if this has been mentioned but Hoilett was in Dubai during the last international break.. just to put in perspective what a joke our program is. Can you imagine a serious nation having their star go on vacation for no reason during an international break where we don’t play for another 6 months? 

13 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but Hoilett was in Dubai during the last international break.. just to put in perspective what a joke our program is. Can you imagine a serious nation having their star go on vacation for no reason during an international break where we don’t play for another 6 months? 

Yeah I saw that on IG over the break, but chose not to share it here at the time, because I never thought it was a big deal. I still don't.

If his idea of relaxing during the international break is chillin in Dubai, more power to him. Who are we to judge how he decides to spend his break?

I would rather have a refreshed junior pushing the blue birds to promotion, than a fatigued one. 

If he stayed in England, I doubt you'd have an issue.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah I saw that on IG over the break, but chose not to share it here at the time, because I never thought it was a big deal. I still don't.

If his idea of relaxing during the international break is chillin in Dubai, more power to him. Who are we to judge how he decides to spend his break?

I would rather have a refreshed junior pushing the blue birds to promotion, than a fatigued one. 

If he stayed in England, I doubt you'd have an issue.

I tend to agree with you on everything. 

However I think it's the trend that needs breaking. He's promotion pushing this year, than focusing on Premier league stability the next. It's never ending. 

For me it's not the break in Dubai, it's just the common narrative we continue to see amongst our top players. There's always some illegitimate reason to not play for Canada. 

While other countries top players are showing up under the same circumstances, if not worse. 

I'm starting to be "disinterested" in what our players are doing for their clubs (except the ones who play for Canadian clubs), because I haven't seen a trend where it replicates to the national team. Where it's like "I can't wait for my current form to translate to the CMNT upcoming game"... It's more like "let me reserve it..... 

I don't know, am I the only one with this sentiment? (don't ridicule me, enlightened me lol) 

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

I imagine that when the squad starts getting more positive results and actually qualifies for the World Cup - players taking a casual pass on the games will be minimized.  I certainly wish all of our players took total pride in playing for the National team but right now due to our lack of games and results, it is easier to take a pass knowing that most likely you will be included in the squad the next time out as out talent level is improving but is not at an extremely high level at this time.  Junior, who I like, knows we need him next time out when it counts so he can afford to have an ambivalent attitude to coming every time he is called.  Really if we were World Cup bound for this year Tabla and Ferreira may be in the squad as the team would have much more relevance and players would be jumping over one another to commit to the program.  Here's hoping it starts in the fall of 2018!

I don't think we have a problem with players not showing up for Canada matches. To the best of my recollection, once he committed to Canada, Junior has shown up whenever he has been called. Do we even know if he was called for the NZ scrimmage?

It is pretty rare for us to have a player in the promotion race to the EPL. I don't see that as normal at all.

I actually think Junior's form has been BETTER for Canada than for his clubs. He is a bit of an anomaly in that regard.

13 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I actually think Junior's form has been BETTER for Canada than for his clubs. He is a bit of an anomaly in that regard.

Hmmm.... 11 goals, 12 assists in 3, 702 minutes this year for Cardiff... Vs 1 goal, 4 assists in 1,381 minutes all time for Canada. Whats your measurement of better? 

Recent memory maybe?.... his boss status play for us vs Jamaica in the Gold Cup along with his wonder goal!? haha. :) ... Regardless if he keeps his current form for his club and country(GC performance), I don't think any of us will be complaining!