The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

13 hours ago, Ruud said:

Just added my votes.

Hutch not considered as top midfielder?  Seem strange to anyone?

When fans are allowed to vote it is just a popularity contest. Ochoa is higher than Navas for GK of the year. Also I don’t like how they can nominate Concacaf players in Europa and non-Concacaf players playing in this region

38 minutes ago, canta15 said:

When fans are allowed to vote it is just a popularity contest. Ochoa is higher than Navas for GK of the year. Also I don’t like how they can nominate Concacaf players in Europa and non-Concacaf players playing in this region

It just shows that CONCACAF is not a strong region talent wise. They need to have some household names on the list so they have to include some non-CONCACAFers.

• 1 month later...

Not really news, just sharing to give you insight into what his reputation is like at Cardiff...

What time is Cardiff City vs Preston North End kick off? How can I watch it on TV? Latest team news and odds - Wales Online
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-preston-what-time-14089872

Who are the key men?

Junior Hoilett (Cardiff City): The winger rarely has a bad game and if Cardiff are to arrest their current slump, the Canadian will be vital. His tricky feet and relentless work-rate can have a big effect going forward and tracking back.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 09/02/2018 at 6:31 PM, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

If he continues this rate he may be considered for the premier league again next year. Even if Cardiff doesn’t get promoted I’m sure some other teams wouldn’t mind Hoilett for some wing depth. 

Hoilett will stick with Warnock. Count on it. That is why he went to Cardiff in the first place. And Warnock has an excellent record of getting promoted from the Championship!

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I believe they are closer to 1st than 3rd now, although wolves do have a game in hand, I think.

Hoilett is in form right now and so is Davies.

If we had a game tomorrrow and went with 2 wide attackers, they'd be my choice for a start.

And Cav would be my CF.

If we use a 4-2-3-1 formation, I would go with Hoilett and Arfield as the wingers, and Osorio in the middle. Davies as a sub to replace Hoilett or Arfield as needed. And yes, Cavallini as the CF.

• 5 weeks later...

Cardiff 0 Wolves 1 and Junior missed a pen with the last kick of the game. Apparently rattled it off the cross bar. Amazingly that was the second pen missed by Cardiff in stoppage time!

http://www.skysports.com/football/cardiff-vs-wolves/375102

Take aways:

1. Cardiff are still automatically going up.

2. Junior should not under any circumstances be taking our penalties!!

Reading some of the articles it appears that Junior was pegged as the guy to take penalties in the game but wasn’t up for the first one and the journalists covering the team questioned the wisdom of letting him step up to take the second.  Don’t know that I wouldn’t let him take penalty kicks ever but you certainly hope whoever steps up has supreme confidence at the time.

12 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Reading some of the articles it appears that Junior was pegged as the guy to take penalties in the game but wasn’t up for the first one and the journalists covering the team questioned the wisdom of letting him step up to take the second.  Don’t know that I wouldn’t let him take penalty kicks ever but you certainly hope whoever steps up has supreme confidence at the time.

He has also already missed a pen for Canada.

He must excel in training or something because he doesn’t come off as a guy who would be a first choice pk taker.  I assumed he took the pk for Canada because he was the star player on the pitch and was looking to get off the mark.

43 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

He's got a wicked shot, but it's mostly about nerves when it comes to PKs!

It is an interesting question, who should take your penalties, particularly when it comes to a shoot out.

A lot has been written on the topic and I believe the correct answer is: those who want to. Instead, the coach designates the players he wants and some of them just don't fancy it and consequently miss.

The catch is that nobody wants to admit they don't want to take one but if you are drawing up the list and can't make eye contact with a particular player, guess what?!

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

It is an interesting question, who should take your penalties, particularly when it comes to a shoot out.

A lot has been written on the topic and I believe the correct answer is: those who want to. Instead, the coach designates the players he wants and some of them just don't fancy it and consequently miss.

The catch is that nobody wants to admit they don't want to take one but if you are drawing up the list and can't make eye contact with a particular player, guess what?!

With the teams I coached I always had a set penalty taker and a 2nd choice if he wasn't on the pitch, this was determined from competition at practice, once a player missed the competiton was open again, fortunately at the Rep level I had a no nonsense Right Back who never scored a goal from open play but went almost 2 seasons without a penalty miss! Penalty shoot outs are something else and can be very nerve wracking for the coach even at the highest level as you concentrate on winning in Extra Time you will soon have to choose shooters depending who is on the pitch, a good rule of thumb for shoot outs is for forwards to shoot early, most have found the net before!