The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ok, totally agree, Rotherham is a lower level than Cardiff City, no doubt. Am I really wrong about Cardiff City though, I just assumed they were in the bottom quarter of the Championship in terms of budget, isn't that so?

They were in the premiership for a season in 2012 or 13???. Owned by a guy named Vincent Tan, who tried to change the team's colours from blue to red, because of the popularity of red with the Chinese although this only lasted a couple of years and really alienated the fan base. They play in a decent sized stadium, 30k or so but have lots of debt. If i had to guess, I'd say maybe top half, possible top third. I think Tan has put a fair bit of money into the team since acquiring them, so only a fairly recent uptick in relative size.

16 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ok, totally agree, Rotherham is a lower level than Cardiff City, no doubt. Am I really wrong about Cardiff City though, I just assumed they were in the bottom quarter of the Championship in terms of budget, isn't that so?

Most pre-season predictions that I saw had them mid-table, which is exactly where they are. Not sure about their budget though.

Edited by Stryker911

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Hmmmm. ...I think what makes him soooo dangerous is his pace. I don't know if JH has that kind of speed

Hoilett is deceptively quick. I think it's because he has a muscular build. When he sprints he doesn't appear to be moving fast, but when he beats players for pace it's clear that he is. I don't know if he has as much pace as Accam, but I'd put him in the same tier, which would be a level below the top guys like Ricketts, Mattocks or Oduro.

Like Accam, he's shifty and can change direction and is a good dribbler and likes to cut inside from the left. I can't think of an MLSer who's closer to Hoilett in style and quality. Justin Merram, for example, has similar dribbling and shooting ability, but not the same pace.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/junior-hoilett-commits-cardiff-city-13144454

Good move for him. They are a side that should hopefully be pushing for promotion next season.

A 1-year extension is great. He gets to play another season under a manager who believes in him, and he'll be involved from the start and tasked with helping Cardiff promote. I think we'll see a lot more from Hoilett next season in terms of production.

Worst case scenario, he can leave next year if things go sideways. 

Edited by Obinna

• 2 months later...

Cardiff City will promote to the Premier League this season and once again Hoilett will be back in the top flight! 

As he was with Blackburn Rovers (2009-2012) & 2012-2013 / 2014-2015 with QPR. 

I notice his appearances in the Championship have increased obviously but not by much, meaning he's gotten a lot of playing time in EPL. 

20+ Games 

• 2 weeks later...

With him being 27, the only wat I could see him getting into the BPL again is him having an absolutely insane season, or getting promoted with Cardiff. He is averaging a point per game right now

• 1 month later...

On October 12, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Ruffian said:

DAZN is playing the Cardiff City vs Burmingham game tomorrow at 2:45 EST in case anybody was interested in seeing him play.

1-0 down after the end of the first half, Hoilett in the starting XI as expected 

Edited by Thomas