The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

Anyone know how to get in touch with Simeon Jackson? Maybe he could talk to Hoilett about playing on the MNT and try to convince him to play when Norwich meet Blackburn October 29.

They are already friends and I'm sure the conversation has come up

The last time we played Jamaica in a competitive match we won 1-0 in the Gold Cup in 2009, sure we lost to them with Canada B in January 2010 and in November 2008 when we were already eliminated but before that when it mattered we controlled them at BMO (Pat ONSTAD).

So why are Jamaica going to be a tough team in the future? Are they going to constantly hope for mass emigration and that some 2nd generation kid isn't good enough for England? That's no way to become a good team, they need to develop their own talent. I think Americans would tell you we were a tougher team than Jamaica at the last Gold Cup.

The last time we played Jamaica in a competitive match we won 1-0 in the Gold Cup in 2009, sure we lost to them with Canada B in January 2010 and in November 2008 when we were already eliminated but before that when it mattered we controlled them at BMO (Pat ONSTAD).

So why are Jamaica going to be a tough team in the future? Are they going to constantly hope for mass emigration and that some 2nd generation kid isn't good enough for England? That's no way to become a good team, they need to develop their own talent. I think Americans would tell you we were a tougher team than Jamaica at the last Gold Cup.

Jamaica will be a tough team because they are exporting a lot of players to MLS and European leagues (espically the Scandinavians) coupled with what they potentially have in UK... I see them as the dark horse in Concacaf and that's why I keep an eye on them... BTW, the game in Toroto they were missing a lot of their regular players... Their coach Rene Simoes chose to omitt them and that his why he got fired... nd they still managed a draw...on the return game, we were missing a lot of our regulars and they had their full strength team...the result? 3 - 0

I fear that we might lose David to them if we don't make it pass the next round.... look, we lost Andy Williams to them who I think is a much superior player than Hoillet even though they play different positions.

I fear that we might lose David to them if we don't make it pass the next round.... look, we lost Andy Williams to them who I think is a much superior player than Hoillet even though they play different positions.

Um, you think that career MLS journeyman Andy Williams is a much better player than teenage EPL starter Junior Hoilett, okay. Bearing in mind that Williams capped for Jamaica when he was playing for some godforsaken NCAA program and probably wasn't even on the Canadian radar (although that was admittedly before my time).

JBTW, the game in Toroto they were missing a lot of their regular players... Their coach Rene Simoes chose to omitt them and that his why he got fired... nd they still managed a draw...on the return game, we were missing a lot of our regulars and they had their full strength team...the result? 3 - 0 .

Wouldn't look too much into that. For starters, for the home fixture they had an A- squad and we had an A squad. But for the away fixture we had a B- squad while they had an A squad. Secondly, Jamaica had to win (big) and we were eliminated.

So I do not think those results are comparable, but I DO agree that they are a dark horse and should go through to the Hex, considering only mighty Guatemala stands in their way.

Jamaica is a good team - they'll reach the hex, especially as they avoided playing Hondo and Mexico in the 3rd round unlike the last cycle.

These guys they are trumpeting as "Jamaican" are about as Jamaican as I am German. These guys will never have been there, are aware they have a grandpa or father from there, but love the country they are from and would rather play NO international games than travel down to Jamaica (who has a poor rep of how it handles players) and play games against Antigua! Which surely is what Hoilett is thinking, unfortunately. "Why play for Canada against St. Kitts when I can just stay here in Blackburn (??) and save my time/energy and try to secure a transfer to a club that won't get relegated from the premier league and move to a more glam city!?"

Hoilett will only play for Canada when we make the hex - guaranteed.

that's my suspicion as well.

we make the hex, he comes to camp. not sure how the boys will feel about it, but it's something I believe would happen.

the hex is concacaf's only respectable WCQ group to play in on the international level. i would compare it's overall quality to most if not all of the UEFA groups, so surely it will be tempting enough to convince him. i can't imagine he thinks he can walk on should we qualify, that just wouldn't sit well with many I believe.

I'd be ticked if he had the attitude of "I'm here, now we're a good team" but I'd otherwise be thrilled he joined, especially if I was a defender or central player and thus not losing my spot.

Regardless, realistically it would be a kid like JBB who would lose his spot, not a guy like Ricketts so I doubt many of the CMNT guys would care if Hoilett popped in and started playing!

Article about Jr.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/16-5m-toon-and-spurs-target-like-united-starlet

£16.5m Toon and Spurs target ‘like United starlet’

Tottenham, Newcastle – Contract talks continue to stall for Junior Hoilett

By Vanessa Keller October 14, 2011

Sam Allardyce has compared Junior Hoilett to Manchester United starlet Phil Jones, saying the Canadian has courage, commitment and desire to achieve big things with his footballing career.

“I had a nickname for him when [Jones] first came through. I called him John Terry. He had all those qualities that Terry has, even at a young age: commitment, desire, courage... all those things. He was also a very good footballer,” Allardyce said.

“It's a huge bonus when you come into a club like I did and you find someone like that waiting for you. I first noticed him when he used to come up with some of the other academy players and play in training games against our first team.

“Players like him and Junior Hoilett would come up from time to time.”

Hoilett has starred for Blackburn since moving to the club 2010, and after attracting attention from bigger English clubs, and with his contract running out in January, the youngster has not yet agreed to a new deal with Rovers.

Tottenham have long had their eye on Hoilett, and are believed to be waiting in the hopes to avoid paying up the 21-year-old’s £16.5 million release clause, according to the Daily Mail.

Newcastle are also said to be interested, with the club on a tight budget despite selling Andy Carroll last January for a British transfer record fee of £35 million.

Both Tottenham and Newcastle will be monitoring Hoilett’s contract situation very closely.

While Tottenham are able to offer European football to the Blackburn man, along with the possibility of qualifying for the Champions League, Newcastle reportedly believe that with the size of their club, Hoilett’s head might be swayed toward St James’ Park

NU would be a far better option than TH....squad size being the key there. NU appear able to give him Euro football possibly next year as well after starting 5-4-0!

Must be a mistake - no way his contract expires in January.

I'd go easy on the "Toon in Europe" thread. If their still in the Top six after christmas then maybe; and if that were the case then Junior would be a sound investment. But,hey guys its still October.

I'd go easy on the "Toon in Europe" thread. If their still in the Top six after christmas then maybe; and if that were the case then Junior would be a sound investment. But,hey guys its still October.

As a Newcastle supporter I'm thrilled with the start but I'm not holding my breathe. I do think that Junior should sign there should it come down to Tottenham and Newcastle though, no question and not just from a supporter's perspective.

Cabaye has just come out saying Newcastles "drinking culture" is a concern of his as well as the attitudes of the players post-game. But they must be doing something right with their record and performances. Coming back to 2-2 v. Spurs is a great result! If they are 7th I think it can be discussed that they might make Europe (the Euro Vase still exists remember).

I'm not sure that Hoilett's style would fit in at Newcastle... and Guitierrez... on the left wing is very effective... and a completely different player.. box to box sort... something Jr is not... with Spurs he could expect a lot of service from a very talented midfield including Modric and Van Der Vaart... Bale is a lock.. but Jr could push Lennon and Defoe for playing time IMHO...

And I don't think squad size matters as much as how a player fits in the team... I think he would be frustrated at Newcastle.

I Junior would be a natural fit on Spurs Right side. Lennon has been very inconsistent and really hasn;t been on form for quite some time. At the moment there is noone really making the right wing position theirs and that is why they have tried Van der Vaart out of position on the right. I think Junior would be well served if he moved to Spurs.