The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

I don't know how true this is but it is coming from a guy working for the JFF ( Jamaica Football Federation) .... I try to read (Very difficult to do I thought that they speak English) their forum when I am bored..

taken form www.thereggaeboyz.com

"Jermaine Beckford is in the plans of the JFF. Chris Humphrey is in process of getting Jamaican passport.

David Hoillet wanted to play for Canada, but his dad who is Jamaican said thats a bad decision so he is considering Jamaica."

Was just looking at Jr's wiki page... seems to include similar info.. though it specifies that it is due to possible sponsorship offers that he wants Jr to choose Jamaica...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hoilett

'Think Jr needs to man-up and tell Daddy he'll play for whomever he wants.

"Jermaine Beckford is in the plans of the JFF. Chris Humphrey is in process of getting Jamaican passport.

David Hoillet wanted to play for Canada, but his dad who is Jamaican said thats a bad decision so he is considering Jamaica."

Time to send his ****er dad with him then.

Remember guys Junior's younger brother is a part of our program and also eligible for Jamaica and I'm sure he could play for at the youth level for them but he's chosen to represent us. Why would the father let him do that and then advise his other son to choose Jamaica? If he's jumping it's for England, let's be serious now.. the Jamaican press evidently loves to stir the pot as we've seen.

Remember guys Junior's younger brother is a part of our program and also eligible for Jamaica and I'm sure he could play for at the youth level for them but he's chosen to represent us. Why would the father let him do that and then advise his other son to choose Jamaica? If he's jumping it's for England, let's be serious now.. the Jamaican press evidently loves to stir the pot as we've seen.

Good point!

Which is fairly good for us because I don't think England will call him because of their own rules. They would'nt call Arteta so I don't see them changing their stance for Hoilett.

Which is fairly good for us because I don't think England will call him because of their own rules. They would'nt call Arteta so I don't see them changing their stance for Hoilett.

I've heard that here but I've never actually read it elsewhere, link? Also Arteta has been in England since he was 23, Hoilett has been in England since he was in his early teens.

I've heard that here but I've never actually read it elsewhere, link? Also Arteta has been in England since he was 23, Hoilett has been in England since he was in his early teens.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/30/scotlandfootballteam-craig-levein

Keegan, I'm surprised you haven't seen anything about the Arteta/British citizenship stuff, although the topic has kind of petered out in the last year or so. Anyways, this article mentions an agreement between the Home Nations. I'm not sure if it actually something that is binding in any way, but:

Under the criteria put in place, only those who have a family bloodline or who have completed five years' education in one country can represent that nation at international level.

For what it's worth, I don't think Jr. went to school in England for 5 years. As far as I know, he spent 4 yrs in the Rovers academy before going to Germany (on loan to 2 clubs).

Guest Brethers

Knew I wasn't making up that 5 year schooling rule. As mentioned he was loaned to Germany which may have cut down his education years, and also the last 2 years of that education would have been in a non compulsory form so maybe he didn't want to go onto further education. I think we should be more concerned with Jamaica than England, and as someone said Janeil is with us so why would his dad rather he goes for Jamaica?

EDIT: Having looked at his Wikipedia page, there's no way he could have had 5 years education in England as he was on loan in Germany when he would have been doing his last 2 years, again as previously stated by someone else

Edited by Brethers

I doubt that rule is enforceable, but I can hear the fans now in uproar by giving a foreigner one of their home boys' spots - especially considering how relatively few Home Nation players are regulars in the EPL right now....

I'd be shocked if Hoilett was at all aware of this "rule"...

Anyway, it isn't as though Pearce ever said something like "it's too bad Junior isn't u21 eligible" or Capello has ever said "He's one exciting youngster" or something along those lines. Capello has too many attackers ahead of him to even have to bother with such a statement.

I doubt that rule is enforceable, but I can hear the fans now in uproar by giving a foreigner one of their home boys' spots - especially considering how relatively few Home Nation players are regulars in the EPL right now....

I'd be shocked if Hoilett was at all aware of this "rule"...

Anyway, it isn't as though Pearce ever said something like "it's too bad Junior isn't u21 eligible" or Capello has ever said "He's one exciting youngster" or something along those lines. Capello has too many attackers ahead of him to even have to bother with such a statement.

Agree 100% its not enforceable but they have shown they are willing to abide by it in the past and although Hoilett is a very good player I don't think hes going to be so massive that they are willing to break the 5 year rule.

Rooney

Bent

Carroll

Defoe

Agbonlahor

Crouch

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott (as forward)

Zamora

Bothroyd

Andy Johnson... ... ...

Rooney

Bent

Carroll

Defoe

Agbonlahor

Crouch

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott (as forward)

Zamora

Bothroyd

Andy Johnson... ... ...

And Wide players

A. Young

S. Downing

A. Johnson

A. Chamberlain

Milner

Playing for Jamaica would be a pretty big letdown imo. I think if that really is the case he is probably holding out to see if one team makes the WC or if one makes the hex over the other it may sway his choice. Which is sad but at the same time we need to make the Hex for a myriad of other non hoilett related reasons.

Yes, there are loads of wide players as well that are proper-Brits.

Yes, he probably is waiting to see if one team makes Hex or WC....?? It's a guess, but not unreasonable assumption. Very disappointing if the case.

BUT YET it goes much further...we need to make the HEX for reasons far beyond needing Hoilett. Imagine two WCQ crucial qualifies in Canada v. USA and Mexico....can you say "Canadian news and sports fan radar"!?!?!

And Wide players

A. Young

S. Downing

A. Johnson

A. Chamberlain

Milner

Playing for Jamaica would be a pretty big letdown imo. I think if that really is the case he is probably holding out to see if one team makes the WC or if one makes the hex over the other it may sway his choice. Which is sad but at the same time we need to make the Hex for a myriad of other non hoilett related reasons.

Playing for England would equally be a big let down...I think that some of us on here let our "superior complex" mentality gets the the better of us... We tend to be a little arrogant when there is no need to. We have no right/reason to be disrespectful other soccer nations when us Canadians are not one. Jamaica is a sleeping Giant...Mark my word...If they should make a strong effort to acquire the best players available to them then we and the rest of concacaf nations are in deep ****...

Imagine how would a Canadian team do against a Jamaican team comprise of guys like these....

Ashley Young

Ashley Cole

Alex Chamberlain

Darren Bent

Chris Smallings

theo Walcott

Jermaine Defoe

Daniel Sturridge

Jay Bothroyd

David James (GK)

Kerion Dyer

these players are just some of the players that are/were eligible to represent Jamaica at some point plus there are loads more in the Premiership that can represent them.... You know our striker from Norwich that we have parading in our team is Jamaican by birth.

Jamaica is a sleeping giant? What a joke.. what, because they can grab players based on lineage?? I don't care if Messi's father was Jamaican he isn't and neither are any of the players you listed. Jamaicans more than any other people seem to love to claim that "so and so" is Jamaican when really his background is.

In terms of their footballing system Jamaica is far from a giant and with the development of teams like Canada, Costa Rica and Honduras domestically they are only going to fall further behind. The English-Jamaicans they've recently been getting (or threatening to get) all seem to be attackers, the one part of their team where they don't need help (Shelton, Fuller, Johnson, Cummings..). In terms of Midfield and Defense they aren't impressive at all.. I wouldn't advise a 3-4-3 anytime soon. Put it this way, if Morgan opted for Jamaica he would probably be in their XI.

Edited by Keegan

Some funny Canadian tid bits about canadians in a running commentary of the Man city CL game (junior JDG2)

62 min: City switch, and it's a more obviously positive one (Except for my betting fortunes): De Jong off (having not been booked), Aguero on. "My girlfriend and I (both Canadian) were over in Europe recently and we tried two different approaches with recalcitrant Canadians," bawls Tyler Dellow at the beginning of a lengthy speech. "We had seats in the first row for the Fulham-Blackburn game and, much to the amusement of people around us, I spent the second half shouting at Junior Hoilett for his failure to play for Canada. We then happened to be at Villarreal for their game with Bayern Munich, where we were gifted seats in a box by the team due to having travelled from Canada. We thought we should spend a few Euros at the club so we bought Jonathan De Guzman jerseys (De Guzman has also, thus far, declined to play for Canada) and cheered him on. After the game, my girlfriend struck up a conversation with a man who turned out to be De Guzman's father. He introduced us to Jonathan, who was very nice and and arranged for us to have tickets for Majorca-Mallaga. Neither played for Canada in the recent World Cup qualifying round. We shall see if one does and adjust our future efforts to convince them (shouts about lack of patriotism very pleasant conversation) accordingly."

78 min: Villarreal change: Mubarak on, Perez off. "'Major tournament absenteeism' indeed!" harrumphs KEvin Sorochan with regard to Canada's World Cup irrelevance. "If all of the turn-coat Canadians actually played for Canada, we might make an appearance or two. One of the traitors is playing in this very match - Jonathan DeGuzman. Others of prominence include Whoregreaves (as he is commonly known) and Begovic. Surely Hoillet will see the light?" I'm telling you, you need to show him love. Organise Junior Hoillet Day celebrations now.

Full-time: That's a huge win for City. They didn't play especially well but kept their composure and, thanks also to intelligent changes by Mancini, came up with a fine late winner. And on that note, bye. And don't forget about Junior Hoillet Day, Canada

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/18/manchester-city-villarreal-live-champions-league?newsfeed=true

Jamaica is a sleeping giant? What a joke.. what, because they can grab players based on lineage?? I don't care if Messi's father was Jamaican he isn't and neither are any of the players you listed. Jamaicans more than any other people seem to love to claim that "so and so" is Jamaican when really his background is.

Jamaica is indeed a sleeping giant but you don't seem to be a believer...In our last 3 outing against Jamaica, what were the results? ans. A tie and two losses...

What you don't understand my friend is that every 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,5th etc... generation Jamaicans embrace their lineage. There is something cool about Jamaicans that if you come in contact with one, you want to be one (Ask Tyrone Mears)...Yes they do have that effect ....I can assure you that all the players that I listed embrace the Jamaican culture...in my opinion, they chose/choose to play for England for Financial reasons... Just a little secret, Ashley Young trained with the Jamaican team while they were in England but changed his mind when England came calling....Ashley Cole (I read) sent a video of himself to the Jamaican federation but at the time Ricardo Gardner was a better option at left back...Do not fool ourselves. Jamaica is going to be a really tough team in the not so distant future and we should not underestimate them. Heck based on fifa's ranking, they are currently 3rd in Concacaf behind Mexico and USA. We always focus on Mexico and USA but we keep getting pimped slap by the Hondurans, Costa Ricans,Jamaicans and Trinis. I am keeping a close eye on them regardless if you guys don't want to...

Lee: You're crazy to think players would choose Jamaica over England. Just because couple of players flirt with an idea to play for Jamaica doesn't mean you will suddenly see large amount of them decide to play for Jamaica over England. Only British players who play for Jamaica are the ones who aren't good enough to play for England.

BTW, Morgan decided to play for Canada over Jamaica.

Jamaica is indeed a sleeping giant but you don't seem to be a believer...In our last 3 outing against Jamaica, what were the results? ans. A tie and two losses...

What you don't understand my friend is that every 2nd, 3rd, 4th ,5th etc... generation Jamaicans embrace their lineage. There is something cool about Jamaicans that if you come in contact with one, you want to be one (Ask Tyrone Mears)...Yes they do have that effect ....I can assure you that all the players that I listed embrace the Jamaican culture...in my opinion, they chose/choose to play for England for Financial reasons... Just a little secret, Ashley Young trained with the Jamaican team while they were in England but changed his mind when England came calling....Ashley Cole (I read) sent a video of himself to the Jamaican federation but at the time Ricardo Gardner was a better option at left back...Do not fool ourselves. Jamaica is going to be a really tough team in the not so distant future and we should not underestimate them. Heck based on fifa's ranking, they are currently 3rd in Concacaf behind Mexico and USA. We always focus on Mexico and USA but we keep getting pimped slap by the Hondurans, Costa Ricans,Jamaicans and Trinis. I am keeping a close eye on them regardless if you guys don't want to...

The last time we played Jamaica in a competitive match we won 1-0 in the Gold Cup in 2009, sure we lost to them with Canada B in January 2010 and in November 2008 when we were already eliminated but before that when it mattered we controlled them at BMO (Pat ONSTAD).

So why are Jamaica going to be a tough team in the future? Are they going to constantly hope for mass emigration and that some 2nd generation kid isn't good enough for England? That's no way to become a good team, they need to develop their own talent. I think Americans would tell you we were a tougher team than Jamaica at the last Gold Cup.