The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

For those of us hoping that a resolution to Jr.'s contract limbo will pave the way for him to join the MNT (Canada's MNT), most Rovers fans believe he won't sign a new contract this year. I agree, and I think he'll either be sold in January or leave for nothing in the summer.

The barcodes had expressed an interest in the player last summer, now Tottenham are apparently interested:

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/10/09/spurs-add-to-struggling-rovers-worries-by-plotting-move-for-hoilett-102039-23476140/

For those of us hoping that a resolution to Jr.'s contract limbo will pave the way for him to join the MNT (Canada's MNT), most Rovers fans believe he won't sign a new contract this year. I agree, and I think he'll either be sold in January or leave for nothing in the summer.

The barcodes had expressed an interest in the player last summer, now Tottenham are apparently interested:

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/10/09/spurs-add-to-struggling-rovers-worries-by-plotting-move-for-hoilett-102039-23476140/

NOOOO don't go to spurs.

NOOOO don't go to spurs.

He'd get a great shot at the first team considering our three strikers are named mediocre, inconsistent and on loan.

The only reason to not like it is if you're an Arsenal or Chelsea fan or a really cynical person who thinks playing for Spurs will give him too much exposure.

He'd get a great shot at the first team considering our three strikers are named mediocre, inconsistent and on loan.

The only reason to not like it is if you're an Arsenal or Chelsea fan or a really cynical person who thinks playing for Spurs will give him too much exposure.

I'm an Arsenal fan! But even if I was'nt from a pure development standpoint I don't think spurs are the ideal situation. The spots that Jr. would be competing for are fairly crowded. Bale is nailed on, Van De Vart, Lennon, Pienaar, Defoe are all very good players playing he 3 positions he would be considered for. Not even considering that Dos Santos (who I think is a similar type of player as Jr.) can't break into the team and Nico Krankjaer is there as well. Competition is good but we've seen what Jr. can do with consistent playing time, I would like to see him go somewhere where he can continue to be heavily relied on and be fairly nailed on.

^ plus if he isn't getting in the matches with the first team, he won't be playing at all as I am pretty sure Spurs have recently scrapped their reserve side. Sounds really odd as I type it but I am almost positive I recall hearing this on a podcast or the like.

“After signing a contract with Spurs in the transfer window, I am focused on cementing my position in the starting eleven. I am not focused on my international career at this time.” – Junior Holiett, February 2012

Yes that's true, we don't have a reserve squad anymore.

We like to play both 4-5-1 and 4-2-2-2 depending on the competition or the situation. I think he can play as both a right sided striker or a lone striker if we don't pick up the option to buy on Adebayor. I doubt he would play much wing for us because of the depth you mentioned but also because his scoring touch would be wasted.

Junior would have a real chance of playing on the right side for Spurs. Van der Vaart is not a winger. Only Lennon has any claim to an automatic starting spot on the right and he has been very inconsistant these past few years. So the 2 players would be in genuine competion. Junior is currently in better form and has youth on this side. I suspect Spurs would be very interested and so would Junior.

I honestly think that Junior will be moving to a bigger club (he won't remain at Blackburn) and no matter which one he will be attempting to establish himself, not focusing on Canada. TBH I don't think he wants to play for us. He wants to be the next Owen H@rgreaves.

Edited by CanadianSpur

I honestly think that Junior will be moving to a bigger club (he won't remain at Blackburn) and no matter which one he will be attempting to establish himself, not focusing on Canada. TBH I don't think he wants to play for us. He wants to be the next Owen H@rgreaves.

I think BR's excusion over to the Indian sub-continet during the International break will be a sign to most players who can leave Rovers to do so.

Nothing against India or Venkateshwara Hatcheries, who now own the club, but there feels as if something of the Max Senate's* is going to happen to in Eastern Lancahire.

* Silent Movie Director - synonomus with the Keystone Cops.:eek:

on Twitter someone asked Marc Bircham to speak to J.H. on Sat (QPR vs Rovers) and convince him to accept a call up to Canada in Nov. Birchy tweeted that he will try his best! .. haha.. would be funny if Birchy could pull it off.

I pulled this off a QPR site, the fellow being interviewed writes for a Rovers fanzine and is being asked about the squad prior to the match tomorrow at Loftus Road! It's interesting that everyone refers to him as Canadian:

Who is the star man, the weak link and the unsung hero? Tell us about an up and coming youngster we may not have heard about.

The star man is Junior Hoilett. He's quick, he'll skin about three players given the right run of the ball and he is the great white hope. I suppose he does also fall into your up and coming youngster category as well so I am going to cheat and use him for two bits of this. The Canadian has had a regular run in the side since January and he has never looked back. He operates on either wing or up front and if he was a little less greedy he has the potential to be a big star.

I pulled this off a QPR site, the fellow being interviewed writes for a Rovers fanzine and is being asked about the squad prior to the match tomorrow at Loftus Road! It's interesting that everyone refers to him as Canadian:

Who is the star man, the weak link and the unsung hero? Tell us about an up and coming youngster we may not have heard about.

The star man is Junior Hoilett. He's quick, he'll skin about three players given the right run of the ball and he is the great white hope. I suppose he does also fall into your up and coming youngster category as well so I am going to cheat and use him for two bits of this. The Canadian has had a regular run in the side since January and he has never looked back. He operates on either wing or up front and if he was a little less greedy he has the potential to be a big star.

not surprised that people refer to him as Canadian.. he IS canadian.. lol.. he just hasn't decided to play for Canada yet.

According to FIFA, he's Canadian until he chooses another nation.

The one saving grace if he does the unthinkable and ends up playing for England is that England fans will have had enough prior exposure to him being Canadian that they will have to give a lot of acknowledgment to the fact that they poached one of ours. This wasn't the case with Hargraeves as he wasn't a premiership player prior to joining England and he just sort of slid into the national team with his fake English accent. I'm sure many England fans thought he was legitimately one of their own.

I don't know how true this is but it is coming from a guy working for the JFF ( Jamaica Football Federation) .... I try to read (Very difficult to do I thought that they speak English) their forum when I am bored..

taken form www.thereggaeboyz.com

"Jermaine Beckford is in the plans of the JFF. Chris Humphrey is in process of getting Jamaican passport.

David Hoillet wanted to play for Canada, but his dad who is Jamaican said thats a bad decision so he is considering Jamaica."

I don't know how true this is but it is coming from a guy working for the JFF ( Jamaica Football Federation) .... I try to read (Very difficult to do I thought that they speak English) their forum when I am bored..

taken form www.thereggaeboyz.com

"Jermaine Beckford is in the plans of the JFF. Chris Humphrey is in process of getting Jamaican passport.

David Hoillet wanted to play for Canada, but his dad who is Jamaican said thats a bad decision so he is considering Jamaica."

can u include a link to where that quote was found cuz i cannot find it in the main page or forums

taken from http://www.thereggaeboyz.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/185146/page/6/fpart/1

So far Nathan Smith, Marcus Bean and Marvin Elliott have represented them in their most recent game...

English players eye Reggae band

BY SEAN A WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor

Sunday, September 11, 2011

MARVIN Elliott's story is not new to those who follow football. Similar tales have been heard before, and as sure as the sun will shine, more will be told.

He's an England-born footballer with Jamaican ancestry, and like many of his fellow Britons, desperately wants to don the Jamaican colours.

It's been a long wait for the 26-year-old Bristol City midfielder — a wait he hopes will end soon, especially now that Reggae Boyz coach Theodore Whitmore has promised a shake-up of the team — dissuaded by "the attitude of some players".

The six-foot-one-inch player who qualifies for Jamaican citizenry through his grandparents, told the Sunday Observer his passion for Jamaica is fanned in no small measure by his parents, who kept him in tune with the island's customs and culture.

Elliott's many visits to Jamaica, particularly to Westmoreland and St Elizabeth — the parishes of his grandparents — gave him a first-hand look at life of his "island home". And he has soaked it all up.

Having two teammates at Championship side Bristol who have played for Jamaica and who are still considered to be in the pool has also heightened his anxiety.

Having heard stories from England-born Jamal Campbell-Ryce and local-bred Damian Stewart about their national exploits has both frustrated and educated Elliott.

"I want to represent Jamaica because I love the country and I would thrive on the opportunity to represent the island. It would be an honour to be to play if called upon," he said.

"I have wanted to represent Jamaica for as long as I can remember. I have made attempts in the past to make the local federation aware of my availability, but nothing has ever moved forward," added Elliott, a former regular at Millwall FC.

While Jamaica is pregnant with footballing talent, Elliott believes he and other UK-born players can offer a lot in the quest for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Finals in Brazil, and the broader football programme.

"England-born players do not all necessarily possess better qualities to help Jamaica reach another World Cup Finals, but I believe a mixture of both is the best way to make that dream happen again," he told the Sunday Observer from Bristol on Friday.

Jamaica's only appearance at a senior FIFA World Cup occurred in 1998, and three England-born professionals — Deon Burton, Paul Hall and Fitzroy Simpson — brought in by the iconic Brazilian Rene Simoes, played crucial roles in that achievement.

But what are the odds of lightning striking in the same way and same place twice?

"I definitely think that this method could work this time round because you have a lot of quality players who have the desire and hunger to represent Jamaica but are not being given the opportunity," argued Elliott, who is also comfortable playing at right-back.

The instrumental player and Bristol City favourite says he would bring to the Boyz set-up a wide-range of skills.

"I believe the qualities that I bring to the table are my tackling, passing, pace, aerial strength and leadership. I play in the centre of midfield and can attack as well as defend," he said.

In a classic case of versatility, Elliott was employed as an emergency right-back in the 2004 FA Cup final against England powerhouse Manchester United when Kevin Muscat was unavailable due to injury.

There is one test all foreign-born players have to sit: the public examination of their patriotism. Elliott says he's ready for any scrutiny as far as that is concerned.

"I would say to people who might question my patriotism specifically that 'yes, I was born in England, but my family comes from Jamaica', so primarily I would be representing them and the island and I would never take that lightly," he said.

Elliott notes that the increased number of Jamaican players operating in the UK, the rest of Europe and the USA has boosted the national football stock, and he's delighted with this development.

"It's great to see the number of Jamaicans playing in the U... it gives so much encouragement to the youths back in Jamaica who dream of playing in the world's top leagues," he said.

"I think the success that Ricardo Fuller and (Ricardo) Gardner have had in England in particular shows the type of quality Jamaica has if given the chance. They are both great ambassadors for Jamaican football," Elliott pointed out.

Born in Wandsworth in the Greater London area, Elliott has been the constant target for Premiership clubs, but Bristol is reluctant to release the man they signed in 2007.

Fulham, Wolves, Blackburn, Portsmouth and West Brom have made pitches for the towering utility player, but all bids have been rejected. Elliott has a deal with his current employers which would keep him at Bristol City until 2012.

"Any offer that has been made for me has never been turned down by me personally, but by the club itself. So as a professional I try not to let any of that faze me and I just keep trying to improve every day in training as I strive for the ultimate goal of Premiership football," he explained.

For Millwall, Elliott made 144 appearances between 2003-2007 and scored three goals, while banging in 17 for Bristol City in 161 caps since he first put pen to paper.

Elliott said he was inspired by former England international Ian Wright, former Arsenal and France regular Partick Veira and former Reggae Boy Jamie Lawrence.

"On a personal point, it would be Jamie Lawrence who has helped me a lot in my career and who has become a very close friend," he said.

Another player said to be eligible for Jamaica is Leicester City frontman Beckford. The 27-year-old, 6ft 2in striker, had a bountiful spell at Leeds between 2006-2010, scoring 72 goals in 126 appearances. For Everton in less than a year, he bagged eight goals in 34 appearances before moving to his current club.

Beckford is also eligible to play for Grenada, but well-placed sources say he prefers the black, gold and green of Jamaica. A football agent who did want to be named said "Beckford is the most famous of the promising" emerging talents of the England-born players of Jamaican ancestry.

Also waiting in the wings:

Nathan Smith, 24, Chesterfield (English League One), left-back.

Luke Hubbins, 19, Birmingham (Championship), right-winger.

Daniel Gordon (German-Jamaican), 26, FSV Frankfurt (Bundesliga Two), midfielder.

Darren Pratley, 26, Bolton Wanderers (EPL), midfielder.

Gareth McLeary, 24, Nottingham Forest (Championship), winger.

Jobi McAnuff, 29, Reading (Championship), midfielder.

Christopher Humphrey, 23, Motherwell (SPL), winger.

Zavon Hines, 22, Burnley (Championship), midfielder.

Daniel Sturridge, 22, Chelsea (EPL), forward.

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, 25, Wolves (EPL), forward.

Marcus Bean, 27 Brentford City ( League one) midfielder

Karl Henry, 29, Wolves (EPL), midfielder.

Remie Street, 16, Newcastle (EPL), defender.

Marl Little, 23, Peterborough (Championship), defender.

Jermaine Pennant, 28, Stoke (EPL), midfielder.

Nile Ranger, 20, Newcastle (EPL), forward.

Jay Simpson, 20, Millwall (Championship), forward.

Sanchez Watt, 20, Arsenal Reserves (EPL), winger.

Nigel Neita, 17, Arsenal (EPL), forward.

Andre Wisdom, 18, Liverpool Reserves, defender

Also I think that they have a really good chance of getting Daniel Sturridge and England realizes that. That is why the English media is pushing for him to get capped... Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Q0xOanqWw

Edited by Lee