World Cup Brazil 2014 Qualifying draw [R]

DJT

It's not about nitpicking, it's about not saying we got the BEST possible draw. If you win 5/6 + at Lotto 6/49, then you have an almost perfect draw with let's say 100,000 $ more in your bank account. And a very happy face. However, you can't say you had the best possible draw.

But that's not what he said. Saying it's as good as we could have hoped for is not the same as saying it was the best possible draw. I was hoping we would get atleast one break go our way (ie. either Honduras or Cuba in our group), but we got both breaks go our way. That is probably better then even the most optimistic person could have hoped for.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Fair enough. I just get the impression that some people think that is the best we could've hoped for. In a way, yes it's true. Like my example about Lotto 6/49. I'm certainly not complaining about the draw. But Panama as our companion from the previous round worries me a bit. If we get it together, we can challenge Honduras and give them a hard time. But if we don't, I can see Panama in front of us for the 2nd seed. Wouldn't shock me a bit after the Gold Cup debacle.

Honduras is the only country with a strong football following in North America (as we saw in Montreal last year). Neither Cuba nor Panama will fill the stands - which means that we should have pro-Canada crowds for games, particularly for Cuba and Panama at home.

That is way better than the group we had with Costa Rica, Honduras and Guatemala. Panama expats are few and far between.

Also, Panama is a very comfortable city - direct flights from Toronto for both Panama and Cuba, and although we'll have to deal with the usual heat, we don't get a really negative reception in either of these places. So far as I can tell, both are pro-Canada, and slightly pro-Baseball.

Honduras is tough - wheverever the game will be. San Pedro Sula or in Tegucigalpa. But it seems we fare ok in those games, and it's the home games we mess up on.

Good point, i had not thought of that one. And i am not aware of the Panamanian ex pat situation but if your point is correct, that means that only one of the six openents or one game will presnt any problem in terms of home side support. But as i am typing this, i am recalling the Gold Cup situation, wasnt the Panamanian support pretty strong? Seem to recall that they managed to pack the joints against us and even make a very strong presnece in heir match verus the US.

Good point, i had not thought of that one. And i am not aware of the Panamanian ex pat situation but if your point is correct, that means that only one of the six openents or one game will presnt any problem in terms of home side support. But as i am typing this, i am recalling the Gold Cup situation, wasnt the Panamanian support pretty strong? Seem to recall that they managed to pack the joints against us and even make a very strong presnece in heir match verus the US.

I don't recall the fans for the Panama game - but I can't imagine them making up the same numbers as the others. let's see if I'm wrong.

^ Fair enough. I just get the impression that some people think that is the best we could've hoped for. In a way, yes it's true. Like my example about Lotto 6/49. I'm certainly not complaining about the draw. But Panama as our companion from the previous round worries me a bit. If we get it together, we can challenge Honduras and give them a hard time. But if we don't, I can see Panama in front of us for the 2nd seed. Wouldn't shock me a bit after the Gold Cup debacle.

Agreed, this is not going to be a sure thing. As i said earlier in the thread i'm giving us about a 60% chance of going through. If we had Costa Rica in the group instead of Cuba that'd be down to about 10-15%.

According to the Wikipedia article Ethnic origins of people in Canada (from the 2006 census), 2075 people said they're at least partly Panamanian. On the other hand, 3025 said they're at least partly Honduran !!! That means there's a fair batch making the trip from the US (or even from home). So according to these numbers, maybe we can make the assumption that the number of Panamanian expats in NA represents roughly 2/3 of Hondurans expats.

Surprised to hear on Team 1040 that Josh Saunders, the Galaxy keeper, plays for Puerto Rico. He is originally from Oregon but has family that is puertoriqueña. So there is another decent player. But it is just a few decent players, not a team.

Our real challenge as I see it will be Honduras, again, next round.

AH! Honduras....I can't help it...that game in montreal keeps coming back and back and back...

Just back to civilization and reading through the threads! Most points have already been discussed, I also agree it's about as good a draw as we could have asked for! If you look at the next round and compare it with last cycle, we have Honduras in our group again but instead of Jamaica and Mexico we have Panama and Cuba, much better IMHO! I still say we are underdogs to make it to the hex but it is possible, both Panama and Cuba will be tough for us! The best part of the draw, a road trip to Cuba next round!

If we do play Panama the best option is to play in Vancouver or Edmonton. Canada has few Panamanian ex-pats and most of the ones in the US are concentrated on the east coast. They do not have a true footballing culture like ES, Honduras, Costa Rica and Guatemala, so I don't see the same passion and the willingness to travel en masse. Spreading out some of the round three and hopefully hex games would also be nice for us who do not live in the centre of the universe.

We got about as lucky as we could get, unbelievable! I am now looking forward to qualifying instead of cringing in doubt. Honduras is a team we should be able to compete with, i don't think they're as strong as they were last cycle and we should be able to get results from them. Panama will be tricky, but no reason we can't steal a draw down in Panama City. Cuba was the best we could have hoped for by avoiding CR and Jamaica. I would put our chances of making the Hex at somewhere around 60%.

BTW, i don't know why so many people are concerned with Puerto Rico?

They must be confusing our CMNT with something resembling TFC. Puerto Rico's NASL club may have been a tough MLS draw but really offer little opposition at the national team level.

• 2 weeks later...

This may just be Saturday night talking.... but I honestly think we can make this World Cup. We've got the best ****ing draw we could have hoped for. We have two of the best players we've had in recent history, Josh Simpson and Atiba Hutchinson. Honestly **** the Gold Cup results, **** the naysayers who keep reminding us how **** our squad is. We have a good team and a team that can finish third in CONCACAF above Honduras and take that spot behind the US and Mexico :)

Bring on Brazil!!!

a

This may just be Saturday night talking.... but I honestly think we can make this World Cup. We've got the best ****ing draw we could have hoped for. We have two of the best players we've had in recent history, Josh Simpson and Atiba Hutchinson. Honestly **** the Gold Cup results, **** the naysayers who keep reminding us how **** our squad is. We have a good team and a team that can finish third in CONCACAF above Honduras and take that spot behind the US and Mexico :)

Bring on Brazil!!!

attaboy, this just might be my Saturday night talking too but F honduras, Costa Rica, and Jamaica... We've beaten them all in recent history so let's just do it some more. 2014 baby

Archived