World Cup Brazil 2014 Qualifying draw [R]

DJT

You mentioned missing Guatemala, not Costa Rica or Jamaica, which i view as possibly the most critical part of our draw. Getting Cuba as the 2nd seed, regardless of the top seed greatly improves our chances of advancing.
Oops, yeah, I should have thrown that in there. I agree, that is the most critical part of the Third Round draw.

So no doubt there were four parts of the draw that went in our favour (no Guatemala, Honduras, Cuba, Oceania), and only one that didn't (Panama).

I still say people are getting overly excited. :) The Third Round will still be very tough.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For information to those thinking PR might be a threat, since June 14th 2008 PR has only played 6 games (in 3 years !). They didn't enter the Caribbean Cup in both 2007 and 2008, then played 6 games in the 2010 Caribbean Cup, that's all. They never qualified for the Gold Cup in their history.

They won their first 3 games in the 2010 Caribbean Cup, but look at the score and the opposition:

- 3:1 vs. Anguilla (was 2:1 after 80 minutes)

- 2:0 vs. Saint-Martin (was 1:0 after 78 minutes)

- 2:0 vs. Cayman Islands (was 1:0 after 87 minutes)

Then in the next stage they lost all 3 games:

- 1:3 vs. Grenada

- 2:3 vs. Guadeloupe

- 0:1 vs. Saint Kitts & Nevis (hence why they're ranked lower than them)

So please stop with the worrying. 6 games in more than 3 years. And 3 losses against real minnows in a somewhat important tournament for them on top of that. No Gold Cup participation ever. That pretty much sums it up for this national side I think.

We were worried about Guatemala, but there was only a 1 in 6 chance of drawing them. Looking at things from their perspective, Guatemala had a 4 in 6 chance of drawing a team that could realistically eliminate them without it being considered an upset. Lucky for them, not only did they get one of the other two teams, in Grenada they got the easiest of them all. Moreover, while they did get the USA in the Third Round, they also got Jamaica and Haiti (at the worst), two teams they can realistically finish ahead of to get into the hex. So considering how the odds were stacked against them, Guatemala probably ended up with the best draw of all!

Interesting way of looking at it... I think your right about Guatemala being relativley happy witht their 3rd round draw. However, in the 2nd round, I think (at least on paper) that Guatemala stands the best chance of being upset of any of the top seeded teams in the six groups. This simply being due to the fact that they have three relativley strong group opponents (at this stage of qualifying) and other groups only have 2 or three that can challenge for top spot. Grenada could push them harder than people realize, St Vincent is decent and Belize seem to have gotten their act together a bit in the last few years.

Trinidad and Tobago should also be wary. Guyana are capable of winning that group and Barbados could make life difficult for the others.

Personally, I will be hoping that Nicaragua will upset Panama. We will see how things unfold. I can't wait for all the official match schedules to come out!

We were worried about Guatemala, but there was only a 1 in 6 chance of drawing them. Looking at things from their perspective, Guatemala had a 4 in 6 chance of drawing a team that could realistically eliminate them without it being considered an upset. Lucky for them, not only did they get one of the other two teams, in Grenada they got the easiest of them all. l!

Yes. I noticed that to. <smile>. Its funny isnt it. Its the kind this that makes me cycnical about it all. As far as canada, it almost as if some said we owe you one. My eye brows raised even when saw Honduras getting paired up with cuba, i saw naw no way, could it be? And then it happened. bingo.

This is why people around he world are always cynical about these draws. What better example than T & T in 2006.

So no doubt there were four parts of the draw that went in our favour (no Guatemala, Honduras, Cuba, Oceania), and only one that didn't (Panama).

Even that one, yes Canada would have preffered Haiti, but Panama was probably the next best option. I can't see canada preferring El salvador based on what el salvador did at the GC. Or it could have been Grenada/Guatemala.

Even that one, yes Canada would have preffered Haiti, but Panama was probably the next best option. I can't see canada preferring El salvador based on what el salvador did at the GC. Or it could have been Grenada/Guatemala.
Not sure that T&T would be tougher than Panama. Yes, I know what country (and who by the side) I'm talking about, but still...

Not sure that T&T would be tougher than Panama. Yes, I know what country (and who by the side) I'm talking about, but still...

Yes, you are right T & T with Jack Warner out of the picture wold have been pretty good also.

Panama was not the worst nor the best of choices. It was somewhere in the middle. What happened at the GC against them is an obvious of concern. We controlled the play for the most part but when then need to turn it on they did it and got the result they needed. They have couple of players in the Mexican league. Let hope that that hart was treating the GC as an experiment as he hae indicated. That home and away against them will be key to whether or not canada advance. And it looks like we get them right from the get go at home.

Depending on the dates, you can get round trip flights between Vancouver and San Juan, Puerto Rico for less than $750. Round trips between Toronto and San Juan for less than $600.

Come on, guys. You have until fall to save your pennies! Let's do this!

Depending on the dates, you can get round trip flights between Vancouver and San Juan, Puerto Rico for less than $750. Round trips between Toronto and San Juan for less than $600.

Come on, guys. You have until fall to save your pennies! Let's do this!

I'll be saving my Pennies to go to Cuba in the next round instead...

For those wondering what the schedule might look like, based on the algorithm used for the last few qualifying cycles it should look like this (if they use the same one):

1 Honduras

2 Cuba

3 Canada

4 Panama

June 2012

Canada-Panama/Honduras-Cuba

Canada-Cuba/Panama-Honduras

September 2012

Honduras-Canada/Cuba-Panama

Cuba-Canada/Honduras-Panama

October 2012

Canada-Honduras/Panama-Cuba

Panama-Canada/Cuba-Honduras

* Isn't it funny how we always end up in slot 3 for our groups? This is the fourth time in a row...

I hate the first two games at home. Pressure always gets to us. Would of liked a split.

Three other things.

1) Watched this thing on my PVR and thankfully it was less painful during the speeches and songs.....

2) Felt like a kid at Christmas watching them announce each team, praying for a great draw for Canada

3) I think our first group is the Group Of Paradise

Now to take this easy draw, very serious and dominate these first six games. That gives me time to save my money for the second round.

someone tell me why we want to avoid guatemala, i remember we spanked them 3-0 in 07.

Would you rather play Guatemala. A side with soccer players or some tiny carribean island nation of 50-60 thousand people with little infrastructures? and who doesnt have the the numbers to field a legitamate team and who only particopate in a competeition because FIFA, like the IOC, in this case need to be seen as as international body.

Hate to sound like a know it all, i am surprised at how little sometime people on this forum know of the competive forces and nature of the game in this region and around the world.

I cant believe that people cant distinguish between st Kitts and Guatemala. Or, think that puerto Rico a is legitamate contender when they have never been seen of heard of in GC, WcQ in the region.

Fact is, of the 35 nations in Concacaf, only twelve to maybe fifteen are legitamate and Guatemala and Canada amongst tjose. The rest exist only because FIFA says so, just like Liechenstien, Vanuatu, etc etc etc. They serve as FIFA granted bureaucracies in their countries. Think about it? What kind team in any team sport cound you field if you have population of fifty thousand? Sure, Every now and then youll see a Shawn Goater for bermuda, a Shalrie Joseph for Grenada, or an Atiba Harris for St Kitts. But thats all you can have, maybe one player. The math cant lie.

Would you rather play Guatemala. A side with soccer players or some tiny carribean island nation of 50-60 thousand people with little infrastructures? and who doesnt have the the numbers to field a legitamate team and who only particopate in a competeition because FIFA, like the IOC, in this case want to be perceived as legitamte international body.

Hate to sound like know it all, i am surprised at how little sometime people on this forum know of the competive forces and nature of the game in this region and around the world.

I cant believe that people cant distinguish between st Kitts and Guatemala. Or, think that is legitamate.

Fact is, of the 35 nations in Concacaf, only twelve to maybe fifteen are legitamate. They rest exist only because FIFA says so. They serve as FIFA granted bureaucracies in their countries. Think about it? What kind team in any team sport cound you field if you have population of fifty thousand?

chill out bro

After some of the previous draws I have experienced this is a huge relief. As much as I would love an earlier stiff test, based on our ability to choke, I much prefer the easy 2nd round group. Hey who knows maybe we can get some players to commit to us, just because they want to take a nice Caribbean vacation lol... If we do not advance from that group I would have to stop following the team for a while. As for the potentially "easy" third round group. That makes me very happy. I think back to st.kitts and nevis and saint vincent together and I cringe. It will not be easy to advance(to the hex), but it will not be horribly difficult. If we put it together we will get to the hex. A bad draw could of seen the boys play well and still be eliminated. That is why I am so relieved. I look forward to seeing where the home games are. Victoria please!

http://canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4925

Schedule is released.

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ Qualifiers CONCACAF / Round 2

Friday 2 September : Canada v St. Kitts and Nevis

Tuesday 6 September : Puerto Rico v Canada

Friday 7 October : St. Lucia v Canada

Tuesday 11 October : Canada v Puerto Rico

Friday 11 November : St. Kitts and Nevis v Canada

Tuesday 15 November : Canada v St. Lucia

Honestly, I gave up after 5 mins and decided I'd look at the BBC/CBC websites and work out the draw from there.

Honestly I begining to worry. when the drawing of Lots becomes such a big TV deal.

I don't give a petoony over what it looks like on copa cabbana. I aint going there anytime soon. And Nigel Feeking Reid aint going to tell me something I dont know about or care about anytime soon!

Honestly if you want an Englishman on the CBC who knows about football you can borrow our boy Gareth from Edmonton.

There is an old saying in TV/Film. "Don't overbuild your part" Problem with FIFA is that as a Organising body they actually think they are more Important than the game they are suppose to serve. the whole stupid dog and pony show is a ponitless waste of two hours and is fast becoming a dumb ass as the Eurovision song contest.

Someone should tell these Jackoffs that The only highlight of the last world cup was probably a resurgent Uraguay and an obviously Sublime Espania.

Rest of it was a Pants event that noone wanted to travel to. The fact that germany had 1.3 million attendees and South Africa had about a quarter million should attest to that. That and the pictures of domestic Mercs with flamthrowers fitted to the sides.

Apologies to any South Africans, but that how SA get portrayed. As a cricket follower I know its not that bad.

I worry that Brasil 2014 will go the same way, The "Government Controlled" BBC will see to that.

And that would be a the ultimate scandal as far as footballs concerned.

To me the stupidity of it is that the BBC ask Capello for his opinions of Englands group.

We get a load of Platitudes which I can translate dead easy:

BBC: "So what do you think of the group Fabio"

Capello: "Mumbel platitudenous mumbel- I tink we 'ave a good a chance of quafayink"

(Translation - Why should I give a F@#$, I'm off next year-with me squillion of Pounds in the Bank)

Apologies to any genuine Italians on the forum, but come on. Fabio's English is rather bad, no?

I'll probably look at the websites sometime tomorrow. Meanwhile I'll drown my sorrows over losing 3-0 to Fort Lauderdale. Fart Louder Dale? for Christ Sake!

ho hum.

Anyway, Rant over:)

Interesting schedule, it seems like a waste that they have to play 1 home/ 1 away every set, lots of travel. I would make the assumption that they will try and keep 2 of 3 games in the eastern time zone to at least avoid the extra burden of time zone travel.

Also it should be noted the concacaf website has a different schedule (slightly) from the Canada press release.

Sept. 2nd St. Lucia not St. K & N

November 15th St. K & N not Lucia

good games to tinker and see a few players. I am really curious to see what European based players want to make the trip.

Archived