Can't wait for the Draw on July 30!

lamptern

As Stephen Hart has said, no one wants to take the responsibility of the ball. I think the difference between us and less talented nations who outperform us is based a lot on that comment. If you watch a team like El Salvador for instance, players on that team want to be the heroes and they aren't phased by the fact that they may be less talented than the opposition.. players on those teams take risks, create chances and have ambitious efforts... in the last Gold Cup how many long range strikes did you see? How many creative set plays? How many defence splitting

through balls? Every time we had the ball players would make the easy pass, no one wanting to be the goat... a guy like Josh Simpson for instance who is supposed to be a star on our team and with Hutchinson out he was undoubtedly THE star wasn't even taking shots?! We scored off two BS PKs and if it weren't for those PKs chances are we

would have come home without a goal. We need some ambition out there, I see it when Josh plays for Manisaspor but for us from positions

he would normally shoot in Turkey he was looking to make a final perfect ball... SHOOT!

Rant over.

So so true, part of it is execution but the other part of it is exactly that. We saw a glimpse of this exact phenomena last night with TFC against Real Esteli. Esteli were a really crappy team but TFC kept giving them too much respect. Things changed when Plata came on and he wanted to be the hero and he does have that personality. Good thing or else the game might have ended 0-1.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So so true, part of it is execution but the other part of it is exactly that. We saw a glimpse of this exact phenomena last night with TFC against Real Esteli. Esteli were a really crappy team but TFC kept giving them too much respect. Things changed when Plata came on and he wanted to be the hero and he does have that personality. Good thing or else the game might have ended 0-1.

Plata is a perfect example of the attitude we need on the national team, there is a guy who plays with a ton of confidence.

To be fair to Josh Simpson, some of the defenders he is up against in Turkey are awful and give him way more space than he gets with Canada. Especially in the US and Panama games which he was double-teamed for the whole match.

So much depends on Saturday's draw. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think that Guatemala spells elimination especially when you consider our awful Gold Cup. A quick look back out or deteriorating World Cup Qualifying campaigns should prove the root of my pessimism:

1994 - eliminated in inter-continental playoff after finishing second in the final group... 6W 4D 4L

1998 - dead last in the hex, no playoff... 6W 4D 6L

2002 - third place in semi-final group. Did not advance... 2W 3D 3L

2006 - last place in semi-final group. Did not advance... 3W 2D 3L

2010 - last place in semi-final group with no group wins!... 2W 2D 4L

So for 2014, the only way to be worse than the last cycle, and to keep the decline going, getting eliminated in the quarter-final group would be it. I'm such a defeatist, but I certainly see us drawing Guatemala, and crashing out. We are a minnow after all. Ranked accordingly.

BUT... I will cheer this team better than ever, and if they fail, it will hurt more than ever.

OR... we go 6-0 in the first group phase, and the players develop some real confidence and have themselves a streak of wins that we haven't seen for a while. Maybe this will all work out. Hopefully.

^I do think the one difference between this round and the last two cycles is that Hart has us playing some composed football. Yallop's tactics were directly responsible for us getting beat twice on the counter on the horrible day at Swangard in '04. I have more confidence this time around that we will play a patient game which will help us from conceding stupid goals. Personally, I could care less if we win 1-0 on a penalty. That's how successful teams across the globe grind-out qualifying results. Hasn't anyone noticed that we haven't "deserved" to lose many of those crucial matches that RJB mentions above. Who cares about who deserves what, we just need results. Hart, to me, has us playing a CONCACAF style. It's not pretty, but it'll do what's needed in my view.

Do you have a very talented player : Aleman who played for the U- 17. he can really cheer up the team , could be a leader, also he is a good forward. Goals you need goals !

Is Hume still available? I like his style......

Be optimist ! Guatemala can be in the group with Panama or El Salvador....

I don't think that we should be worried of Guatemala. If we get them we will beat those guys remember 2007? And a 1 and a 2 and a 3-Nil.

I would be extremely worried if we face Guatemala. They are probably the only pot B team that can get us eliminated. 2007 as far as I'm concern is something I'm trying to forget because you can't read much in that tournament....

I would be extremely worried if we face Guatemala. They are probably the only pot B team that can get us eliminated. 2007 as far as I'm concern is something I'm trying to forget because you can't read much in that tournament....

We need to get our spirits up. This is silly. Guatemala are the ones who should be scared to draw us, not the other way around. There is no bad draw for this first round, I'm convinced of it.

We need to get our spirits up. This is silly. Guatemala are the ones who should be scared to draw us, not the other way around. There is no bad draw for this first round, I'm convinced of it.

Yes in a perfect world Guatemala should be the ones who are scared to draw us, but this is not a perfect world and I can't help if the prospect of drawing Guatemala this weekend scares the sh*t out of me.

^

Who said they aren't?

It's simply a question of getting the path of least resistance into the next round. Better to "waste" time beating up on minnows than curse you're luck for falling at the 1st hurdle. Sure the Guats feel the same.

I hate this time of year. And I hate getting nervous about qualifiers. Will we find out which pot we'll be in for the second round as well?

Yep we will find out the groups for the second and third rounds...

I don't think that we should be worried of Guatemala. If we get them we will beat those guys remember 2007? And a 1 and a 2 and a 3-Nil.

That's it. I am officially superstitious.

If we get them, and we lose. I will find you!

:)

^ Cuba already has a bye into the 3rd round.

Apart the obvious advantage of not playing Guatemala in this round in order to get an easier path to the 3rd round, I see another one, though I admit is an almost neglectable one.

Let's say Grenada draw Guatemala and Guatemala wins the group, then that gives a tougher opponent for our other more important opponents in the next round. I know, that would be cool only if we don't get seeded in the same potential 3rd round group, but there's 1/5 chance that's gonna happen (if we both ever win our respective group). For example, I'd rather see Costa Rica battle against Guatemala than Grenada, though once again I admit that would be a heck of a long shot to expect there's an even slight possibility of seeing Guatemala ousting one of the Pot 2 team. After reflection, maybe Cuba. Maybe.

On the other hand, if we get rid of Guatemala in the 2nd round, that means another team like Grenada gets promoted to the next round and gives an easier task to the Pot 2 team. That would be cool only if, like the reverse scenario exposed earlier, we get them in the next round, but that's a 1/5 probability.

So let's go draw, don't screw us for the zillionth time, we've had enough of Warner's antics, not funny anymore. Time to open a new chapter and that begins with this draw.

Go Not-Guatemala Go.

Of course, it would be good to avoid Guatemala in this round, but I think it's more important to our hopes of qualifying to draw Cuba in the following round. I also think would be vital to avoid Costa Rica in that round as well - they are the #3 team in CONCACAF as Honduras is turning over from 2010. A Mexico/US - Costa Rica draw in round 3 would be sure death. A Honduras - Cuba draw, and it would be a major failure not to make the final round.

Will the path be clear today? We obviously will know the next round's opponents, but will we know where we'll go if we win? My hope is that we avoid Mexico and the US until the Hex. The rest I think we have decent shot and getting some points off of.

Also, Guatemala is a team that could tie someone like Barbados in an away match. The fact that there are 4 teams plays to our advantage.

It would be nice to play the USA in the semi final round and then the hex. Makes for some good competition and help with coaching decisions with players on the fence.

I have this weird feeling about Cuba, Panama and USA in the semi final round.

Of course, it would be good to avoid Guatemala in this round, but I think it's more important to our hopes of qualifying to draw Cuba in the following round. I also think would be vital to avoid Costa Rica in that round as well - they are the #3 team in CONCACAF as Honduras is turning over from 2010. A Mexico/US - Costa Rica draw in round 3 would be sure death. A Honduras - Cuba draw, and it would be a major failure not to make the final round.

So true. Getting Drawn in the same side as Cuba (in the semis) and avoiding Guatemala (in round one) are the two keys to this draw. The suggestion by some that it would be good to draw Guatemala in the same group, boggles the mind. Does anyone see the RISK that that represents? AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE REPERCUSSION THAT THAT COULD

HAVE FOR 2018 And 2022? WCQ exposure is unique and unlike any kind of interrnational play in region, the more games you play, the more continuity, more continiuity leads to better chemistry and team building, and more confidence means more loyaty in program and national teams. And what does that mean for future players like Aleman, who have

dual citizenship and other options.

The only reason cuba skips this round and and canada doesnt has everything to do with

loop holes and glitches in the system so why should we not hope for a draw that allows Canada to breeze through this round. If we were actually real contenders for the three spots to go to brazil, i might undertand not minding Drawing gaatemala, but most here think that we have a shot in 2018 or 2022.

Archived