Can't wait for the Draw on July 30!

lamptern

It must be very interesting to see the fortune of more than one hundred countries to be drown into those glass cups. Europe will be most focused as usual. However, Canada will be our most concerned.

I would prefer a harder group for our first round so that we could have more meaningful games before we face to the real challenges.

The group I want (round 2):

Canada, Guatemala, Barbados, Dominican Republic

The group I want (round 3):

Honduras, Cuba, Canada, Grenada

ps.

IF we don't have the confidence to beat teams like Guatemala and Cuba, we just deserve to stay at home. Aren't we?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a heads up that the entire draw is live on CBC at 2:30-5:00 PM EDT -- no, that's incorrect, it's 1:30-4:00 PM EDT.

I would prefer a harder group for our first round so that we could have more meaningful games before we face to the real challenges.

The group I want (round 2):

Canada, Guatemala, Barbados, Dominican Republic

Yikes! No Guatemala! Since only one team advances to the next round, such a group would (or at least should) come down to a two-legged tie between Canada and Guatemala, and anything can happen there (1990 WCQ: 0-1 in Guatemala + 3-2 in Canada = Canada out on away goals [by the way, does anyone have a copy of the second leg? it was almost an amazing comeback: down 0-2 with less than 30 minutes left, we needed 4 goals and scored 3 / down 1-2 with less than 10 minutes left, we needed 3 goals and scored 2]).

Just a heads up that the entire draw is live on CBC at 2:30-5:00 PM EDT.

Yikes! No Guatemala! Since only one team advances to the next round, such a group would (or at least should) come down to a two-legged tie between Canada and Guatemala, and anything can happen there (1990 WCQ: 0-1 in Guatemala + 3-2 in Canada = Canada out on away goals [by the way, does anyone have a copy of the second leg? it was almost an amazing comeback: down 0-2 with less than 30 minutes left, we needed 4 goals and scored 3 / down 1-2 with less than 10 minutes left, we needed 3 goals and scored 2]).

Yeah no thanks to Guatemala.

Yikes! No Guatemala! Since only one team advances to the next round, such a group would (or at least should) come down to a two-legged tie between Canada and Guatemala, and anything can happen there

Yes. Hoping for a tough group defies logic. In a two leg tie anything can happen. A bad back pass, a mysterious PK awarded, A misssed off side by the ref, a sending offf etc. No matter who you are in the world, when it comes down to any kind of world tournament or qualifying tournament, the objective is to advance. And since we are not a great scoring team and only one side from the group advances from this stage, we had better hope for the anyone but Guatemala. As far preparing for the next round, thats what camps and practises and friendlies are for.

Just a heads up that the entire draw is live on CBC at 2:30-5:00 PM EDT.

I remember that qualifying tie with Guatemala quite well! We lost the first match away on a dreadful penalty call against us, more CONCACAF crap surprise, surprise! They shocked us in the home leg with a couple of goals on the counter and we really were chasing it! John Fitgerald came into the match and provided an immediate spark with his pace on the wing and we almost pulled it back!

This is the best we can hope for.

Round 2:

Canada, Antigua and Barbuda, Cayman Islands and U.S. Virgin Islands

Round 3:

Canada, Grenada, Honduras and Cuba

As long as we get Cuba we have a great chance but Cuba & Grenada?!?!?!?!?!? That would make up for the last 3 cycles

Against the minnows of CONCACAF in round 2, we ought to be aiming for 5-0 or more every game.

I see your point I just have learned to keep expectations low, remember though that vs Belize we got 8 in 2 games and st vag we got 7 in 2.

As I said in another post. The expectation should be to win every game in the first round. None of this 5-0 bullsh*t. If we win 1-0 against Belize I honestly don't care. It's a win, and if we win all 6 games we're through.

As I said in another post. The expectation should be to win every game in the first round. None of this 5-0 bullsh*t. If we win 1-0 against Belize I honestly don't care. It's a win, and if we win all 6 games we're through.

We should be crushing teams. If we get up 1-0 and then act all Canadian like so we don't embarrass anybody that's not going to be good for our momentum. Our attack is very weak at the moment, we need to use these games to improve it. This will require taking advantage of every opportunity during live play.

Do we really want a repeat of the gold cup? I can tell you right now that if our best result against low end CONCACAF teams is a 1-0 win courtesy of a penalty or whatever, we won't be getting anywhere near the world cup. This when this team (and Stephen Hart) needs to prove that they possesses some kind of offensive ability.

Agreed. you cant sit on your laurels in these kind of matches. if we are playing a minnow and eek out a win, then what does that mean down the line? Of course we have to win and a win is win but if there is deficiency that creeps up, i hope that coaches address it and not just say, great we got win that's all that counts.

Reminds me of Kingston 2004 versus Belize. we were totally dominating the first half of the first game but i think that we were only up one, if not it was 0-0. Basically, we piled on the goals later in the game, when Belize tired, to win 4-0 but i distinctly remember thinking that we should have been up by more at the half. We were controlling the play but not creating and converting many high quality chances in the final third for all our efforts. There was that missing quality ball, killer instinct or arrogance in the final third. I think i mentioned it that but didnt really pay too much attention to it. In the end, it would have been practically trolling, to demonstrating a dissatisfaction with a pair of 4-0 wins. But opponents, Belize, was more or less a group of grocery clerks.

Everyone was happy and you got sense that so was the team and coaches. But those same concerns reared their ugly head later on and were magnified when we were playing decent opponents in the next round when were playing well conditioned and trained professionals. Thats not to say, blow people away, pile on the goals and embarrass the opposition. But be decisive, show you can score early and in any way possible including the off of the run of play and control and dictate the game defensively and offensively.

Everyone was happy and you got sense that so was the team and coaches. But those same concerns reared their ugly head later on and were magnified when we were playing decent opponents in the next round when were playing well conditioned and trained professionals. Thats not to say, blow people away, pile on the goals and embarrass the opposition. But be decisive, show you can score early and in any way possible including the off of the run of play and control and dictate the game defensively and offensively.

Totally agreed.

I think what Sam was alluding to is the need to qualify for the next round, Period. 5-0 wins are great for supporters and I expect to get a few of these at home, but we may struggle to a 1-0 or 2-1 win against one of these sides away especially if they play 10 men behind the ball. I'm not going to get down about one or two of those.

But I am pumped for Saturday, even if we get Guatemala.

I think what Sam was alluding to is the need to qualify for the next round, Period. 5-0 wins are great for supporters and I expect to get a few of these at home, but we may struggle to a 1-0 or 2-1 win against one of these sides away especially if they play 10 men behind the ball. I'm not going to get down about one or two of those.

I agree with the idea that advancing is the most important thing, however that's achieved. Scoring 20 goals in the round would be nice from a fan's perspective and certainly is what I hope to see, but the goal is just to advance unscathed. Teams have had easy paths to the Hex in Concacaf before (see Trinidad and Tobago in 2006, beating the DR and then advancing out of the 12 over St. Vincent and the Grenadines and St. Kitts and Nevis), it's how you do if you get to the Hex (and things like schedule, it helped T&T to have their home game against an already qualified Mexico last in that Hex) that matters most, I feel.

But i think that sometimes we are giving to much respect to these sides. Aside from Guatemala, that group is comprised of a lot very tiny island nations that do not have the population and suffient number of professionals to field a competive team. they are team

because FiFA says so.

Here is another example further my point earlier of the example with Belize in 2004 earlier. We got really lucky with the draw For WCQ 1998. We ended up in very weak group in the semis and as result ended up in the hex. But i have always maintained to this day that that MNT was far weaker than any of the subsequent sides that we sent to

WCQ cycles. We just couldnt comptete with at all with Mexico and the US; we put up a better fight against mexico in 2002. We finished dead last in he hex in 1997 and yet we bowed out in the semis in 2000. Thats how concacaf works, the majority of sides

are not really teams in a competion in sense that we are accustomed to. We cant look at

this round through the prism of normal sports competeition that we follow daily

Therefore:

1). We cant start annointing a superstar status to some guy who scores three goals in game in this round

2) we cant start throwing under the bus an entire city because the turnout is poor for the games in this round

How we play is more important than anything else because, aside from Guatemala, real competition starts in the next round next year. Its a totally different competition then.

Yeah - I obviously would prefer to see us win every match 5-0. But for me there is nothing wrong with a 1-0 win against St. Kitts. It's a win, when we start losing or drawing these matches I'll be concerned...

Yeah - I obviously would prefer to see us win every match 5-0. But for me there is nothing wrong with a 1-0 win against St. Kitts. It's a win, when we start losing or drawing these matches I'll be concerned...

If we start losing to st kitts, there had better be an investigation. We are a country of thirty million people versus a country of approx fifty thousand.. If we score early and decisivly ( eg. go up two or three nothing) and play with confidence and then shut it down and concede nothing, thats just as good. What we dont need to see is if we are attacking all game and cant create goals unless there is massive blunder by the opposition or that we start to capitalize only when the fitness and preparation starts to wane with the opposition. Or, we score goals but give some goals due to gk blunders.

If we start losing to st kitts, there had better be an investigation. We are a country of thirty million people. If we score early and decisivly ( eg. go up two or three nothing) and play with confidence and then shut it down and concede nothing, thats just as good. What we dont need to see is if we are attacking all game and cant create goals unless there is massive blunder by the opposition or that we start to capitalize only when the fitness and preparation starts to wane with the opposition. Or, we score goals but give some goals due to gk blunders.

As Stephen Hart has said, no one wants to take the responsibility of the ball. I think the difference between us and less talented nations who outperform us is based a lot on that comment. If you watch a team like El Salvador for instance, players on that team want to be the heroes and they aren't phased by the fact that they may be less talented than the opposition.. players on those teams take risks, create chances and have ambitious efforts... in the last Gold Cup how many long range strikes did you see? How many creative set plays? How many defence splitting through balls? Every time we had the ball players would make the easy pass, no one wanting to be the goat... a guy like Josh Simpson for instance who is supposed to be a star on our team and with Hutchinson out he was undoubtedly THE star wasn't even taking shots?! We scored off two BS PKs and if it weren't for those PKs chances are we would have come home without a goal. We need some ambition out there, I see it when Josh plays for Manisaspor but for us from positions he would normally shoot in Turkey he was looking to make a final perfect ball... SHOOT! Rant over.

Archived