Impact in the Olympic Stadium for 2012?

Keano

This is a slightly different story though. Covers a little more than just the news of the Big O.

- says that coaching candidates list is down to three.

- Says that the club would like someone with North American coaching experience.

Then there is some confusing and contradicting parts:

1) Desantis says, on one hand, that the future staff will be built around the new coach, so the position is integral and must be filled as soon as possible. then it says: " In addition, the club is scouting high and low for talent.

De Santis said the team hopes to identify three or four players it considers difference-makers for the inaugural roster. On the wish list: a high-end defender, a creative midfielder, a striker as well as perhaps a top-tier goaltender."

But should you not have coach in place before you do this? any coach will surely want to have a direct say? so why are you traveling around the league now to scout players? what could you possibly learn watching one game here and there. And as far as a wish list, well just about every existing team in soccer is looking for that. Sounds like Desantis is the guy who wants to make the player decisions and he is going about trying to learn on the fly. i have no idea how much he knows the league or players since he has never played or coached in it. wouldn't it be better to hire someone for that or let the coach do it. Might save you the trouble and costs.

they need to hire ASAP someone who knows the league and/or has contacts in the game (internationally) before ever getting out there.

^^ Yes those are valid questions that anyone with a clue of how to run a professional soccer team would ask but instead we have the Joey-NDS circus. The only hope is they hire someone who is a big name and strong personality and manages to make his own decisions but I am sceptical about that. Basically Joey is our manager/coach through his puppet NDS. And to answer your question about how much NDS knows MLS, I can say that after 8 years as coach/TD in NASL he still does not know a thing about how to build and run an NASL team. I wouldn't hire him to coach a U-15 team from the suburbs let alone a MLS team.

The only hope is they hire someone who is a big name and strong personality and manages to make his own decisions but I am sceptical about that.

Roy Keane

I can dream can't I?

I know you wouldn't like a former Big 4 moneybags player Grizzly ;) But he's that type of manager and he did promotion wonders with some sad sack lads at Sunderland

Roy Keane

I can dream can't I?

I know you wouldn't like a former Big 4 moneybags player Grizzly ;) But he's that type of manager and he did promotion wonders with some sad sack lads at Sunderland

Hmm that would be such a hard choice, Roy Keane or Nick De Santis! They have such similar histories of accomplishments! :)

Hmm that would be such a hard choice, Roy Keane or Nick De Santis! They have such similar histories of accomplishments! :)

:D Well, yes, but I thought I remembered you exhibiting an extreme dislike for Keane in some thread long ago... maybe I'm remembering wrong.

:D Well, yes, but I thought I remembered you exhibiting an extreme dislike for Keane in some thread long ago... maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Retirement and coaching

Grobbelaar moved back to South Africa where he coached a number of teams with various degrees of success. He managed Seven Stars in 1999 and took the team from the relegation zone to finish fourth in the final league table. In 2001 he took over struggling Hellenic. He also spent time coaching Supersport United, Manning Rangers (2004) and Umtata Bush Bucks (2004), as well as in his native Zimbabwe, where he was twice briefly player-manager of Zimbabwe's national team.

Grobbelaar came back to the United Kingdom briefly to help coach a number of clubs. Grobbelaar has recently[when?] stated that he "hopes to one day return to Anfield as the manager of Liverpool FC."

Grobbelaar returned to England in 2006 to play in a replay of the 1986 FA cup final against Everton for the Marina Dalglish Appeal, a charity for Cancer research set up by former team-mate and manager Kenny Dalglish and his wife, Marina, a cancer survivor. Liverpool won the match 1–0.

Grobbelaar played in the Sky One's The Match in 2004 and The Match 3 in 2006, keeping a clean sheet in both games.

Grobbelaar, also known as "Brucie", is still a firm favourite amongst the Anfield faithful, and was voted as No.17 in a poll 100 Players Who Shook The Kop conducted in mid-2006 by the official Liverpool Football Club web site. Over 110,000 worldwide voted for their best 10 players in the Anfield club's history, with Grobbelaar finishing 2nd in the goalkeeping stakes.

In March 2007, Liverpool's official website announced that Grobbelaar would come out of retirement for a one-off game and play for non-league Wakefield side Glasshoughton Welfare to help them in their fight for survival. He played against Maltby Main on 14 April 2007, helping Glasshoughton to a 2–1 win.[12][13]

On the 16 April 2009 episode of ITV's Hell's Kitchen Grobbelaar wore a black armband on his left arm in remembrance of the 20th Anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. On 22 April, he left the show citing a need to be reunited with his wife.[14]

He was persuaded to play for Winterbourne United in their Gloucestershire FA Trophy game against Patchway Town on 5 December 2009 but in the end did not make an appearance. Winterbourne at that time were managed by Nicky Tanner, who was a team mate of Grobbelaar at Liverpool.[12][15]

During the World Cup 2010 in South Africa he appeared in the Norwegian TV-channel TV 2, where he had been working with reports and more in company with Davy Wathne, who's working mainly for TV 2 with football.

Currently resides in Newfoundland, Canada.

Archived