Where is JDG going?

Obinna

I think he's spot on. Julian isn't the player he was in 2007, his defensive side of the game is average at best and offensively he brings very little. Also, his body language tells me that he isn't in to it at 100 %.

No one will forget the 2007 JDG but at the moment he sadly looks like a player who's running his last miles. At the MNT level he isn't a sure starter like he was 3 years ago.

Considering the ball playing abilities of the TFC defenders, especially the CBs, since the beginning of the year to date, I felt that having a healthy de Guzman was crucial to what the coaching staff wanted the team to do in their possession build up play. His particular skillset (tight control under pressure, distributing quickly) has been in evidence a number of times even this season. I'm just don't think he's that healthy and as a result has lost a yard or so of pace and agility in closing down opposing mids. If he's healthy, he'll really support Frings with his skillset, if the German's defensive skills are still on display at this stage of his career. I have been a fan of his since GC 07 and I guess I'm coming across as his apologist here, but I really believe he's getting undermined by durability issues more than anything else recently. Last year I felt he was struggling more with the nature of MLS opponents and teammates and especially with the mantle of being a high priced DP but now I think his tires are lacking in tread, so to speak.

Edited by BearcatSA

Well, I'm still waiting for the big midfield ballwinner for our MNT, are you?

You bet. Still don't think JDG or Johnson are the answer, and am not sold on Dunfield. Right now, I think Edgar may be the best bet, but Alderson gives me hope for the future! Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. : )

In all likelihood Julian just needs a change of scenery. He needs to go to place (B2, Liga 2, Holland 2) where he can play as defensive mid, play his preferred possession game, and not have too much pressure as DP. Got a great paycheck from TFC? Good for him, now maybe it's time to take off a bit of public scrutiny. We expected too much from an injured defensive mid.

Or maybe (more likely) he's staying put ...

I really agree with this post, and with rumors of him only wanting to go to Spain, maybe he go play back and play with Deportivo in Liga 2 lol

You bet. Still don't think JDG or Johnson are the answer, and am not sold on Dunfield. Right now, I think Edgar may be the best bet, but Alderson gives me hope for the future! Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread. : )

The problem with JDG decline is that we don't have much better options at the moment to play DM. On any given night I think players like Johnson or Dunfield could be able to do a similar or a better job (Ecuador game might be an example of that) but I doubt one of them will be an improvement on the long run.

I've always felt like Jakovic could do a decent job at the position but so far no one has played him there in his pro career so I guess it's out of the question.

The problem with JDG decline is that we don't have much better options at the moment to play DM. On any given night I think players like Johnson or Dunfield could be able to do a similar or a better job (Ecuador game might be an example of that) but I doubt one of them will be an improvement on the long run.

I've always felt like Jakovic could do a decent job at the position but so far no one has played him there in his pro career so I guess it's out of the question.

This is why DiChiara needs to be called up at the first opportunity.

This is why DiChiara needs to be called up at the first opportunity.

True. I had forget about this player.

With the kind of progress he's made in the RPL he should be called! Not sure he'll solve our problem instantly but I would like to see him included in a future roster.

Well, I'm still waiting for the big midfield ballwinner for our MNT, are you?

This is why I'm excited for Di Chiara, from what we've seen in his couple RPL matches he's a big guy who likes to get stuck in and has some decent touches.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the formation that Deportivo used when JDG was at his peak?

He was one of the "double pivots" (holding mids) in a 4-2-3-1/4-2-2-1-1. The year he was team MVP they were using him to press up higher with the central attacking md when the team didn't have the ball.

Edited by jpg75

• 9 years later...

Mega bump.

Latest Footy Prime podcast with JDG is very interesting.  Fills in a lot of the blanks about his time in Europe.  Best part is that Deportivo tried to push him in to a sham marriage  with a Portuguese woman to get an EU passport.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS82MzYyMzgucnNz&ep=14&episode=QnV6enNwcm91dC01NjQyMzIw

Good podcast.

Learned his brother was already into Dutch football and trying to learn the Dutch language at age six. Trained barefeet to copy how Brasilian kids played the sport. So, he had a plan to fulfill his dream and actually achieved it. 

Also JDG & Dichio recounts that you need to do more than just playing for a youth club to become a pro. Need to have an internal drive like Davies & David, don't coddle the kids, train on your own & watch matches rather just highlights to learn how the best play your position.

@BearcatSA you're not the only one who was off the mark.....

On 7/17/2011 at 11:37 AM, Obinna said:

That is fair his knees are not the same and that has affected the defensive part of his game, but on a Bundesliga team he is definitely an occasional starter, and NOT a squad player in B2, you have to concede that.

On 7/18/2011 at 8:53 AM, jpg75 said:

Nope, i stand by my comments. On paper he's probably a starter in Bundesliga 1, but the game isn't played on paper. After a few starts in Bund 2 and some defensive mistakes that are overlooked, the time will come where he has a total clunker of a game and is responsible for multiple defensive breakdowns that'll cost him his starting spot. Then he'll eventually get another chance, get hurt, and then be on the outside looking in. A couple more surgeries, more time spent on the DL then on the field and he'll be retired by age 33 or 34.

Back then I thought JDG could move from TFC to a strong league, and if he moved to a 2.Bundesliga team it would be a strong one, and he'd play a key role.

But after a brief stop at FC Dallas, De Guzman ended up playing with Jahn Regensburg in the 2012-13 season. Julian started all 15 games he played in, but they were nowhere near challenging for promotion, in fact they got relegated down to 3. Liga that season. He later had a brief spell in Greece and then finished his career in Ottawa, where if I am not mistaken he suffered more injury and soon retired (at 35) thereafter, as jpg75 predicted. He got it mostly right.

It was pretty humbling to go back and see how wrong I was!

Edited by Obinna