Where is JDG going?

Obinna

As soon as he leaves, get used to TFC and those 0-5 scorelines. I hope he leaves that rotting corpse and ends up back in Spain.

"2 Bundesliga-squad player"... Gimmee a break.

I am sorry that your wife left you for a Torontonian. On behalf of all Torontonians i apologize. I am sure she was a stupid **** who deserves to rot in hell, so don't sweat it.

I am sorry that your wife left you for a Torontonian. On behalf of all Torontonians i apologize. I am sure she was a stupid **** who deserves to rot in hell, so don't sweat it.

Are you suggesting that I would have anything to do with a woman who could ever leave me for a guy from Toronto?

You might want to try another style of humour. Get some props, Lose the Russell Peters picture and dig up a Carrot Top or something.

Jules isn't moving anywhere, but if he did he'd probably end up back in Germany as a squad player for a Bundesliga 2 side.

That is a bit laughable come on, maybe he would land in a B2 squad, but it would be one trying to get back to the Bundesliga like St. Pauli, and he would be a starter.

Also, I wonder if he would catch on with a mid table French team like Schoux? After all, he started his career in France as a youth player.

Julian is on his last legs. His knees aren't what they use to be and his defensive presence is minimal. He might still be a good passer of the ball and has some fancy foot skills, but in Germany that'll get rotated in and out of the lineup. No way Julian is a starter on a Bundesliga 1 squad, that's completely wishful thinking.

...He might still be a good passer of the ball and has some fancy foot skills, but in Germany that'll get rotated in and out of the lineup. No way Julian is a starter on a Bundesliga 1 squad, that's completely wishful thinking.

The last bit should be obvious to anyone who is looking at the issue rationally. He has failed to make a significant impact in MLS so a move to one of the top five leagues in Europe is highly unlikely at this point. Not sure about being a good passer of the ball in an MLS context where there is more of a physical edge but when playing in the Champions League last summer you could see how he looks the part when there is more of a southern European or Latin American style.

Julian is on his last legs. His knees aren't what they use to be and his defensive presence is minimal. He might still be a good passer of the ball and has some fancy foot skills, but in Germany that'll get rotated in and out of the lineup. No way Julian is a starter on a Bundesliga 1 squad, that's completely wishful thinking.

That is fair his knees are not the same and that has affected the defensive part of his game, but on a Bundesliga team he is definitely an occasional starter, and NOT a squad player in B2, you have to concede that.

The last bit should be obvious to anyone who is looking at the issue rationally. He has failed to make a significant impact in MLS so a move to one of the top five leagues in Europe is highly unlikely at this point. Not sure about being a good passer of the ball in an MLS context where there is more of a physical edge but when playing in the Champions League last summer you could see how he looks the part when there is more of a southern European or Latin American style.

This is why I think Turkey is a good place for him, or even Portugal. It would be awesome if he joined Klukowski and Simpson.

I think long term durability is a concern regarding this player's future. You can have all the skills in the world but if you're spending more time in rehab instead of on the field than you are depreciating faster than Homer Simpson's pumpkin futures after Halloween.

Here's the google translate version of the Israeli media story about the possible transfer to Maccabi Tel Aviv:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=iw&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.one.co.il%2FArticle%2F183321.html

Worth bearing in mind their owner, Mitchell Goldhar, is Canadian and I'm reliably informed elsewhere that he has shown interest in buying MLSE.

That is fair his knees are not the same and that has affected the defensive part of his game, but on a Bundesliga team he is definitely an occasional starter, and NOT a squad player in B2, you have to concede that.

Nope, i stand by my comments. On paper he's probably a starter in Bundesliga 1, but the game isn't played on paper. After a few starts in Bund 2 and some defensive mistakes that are overlooked, the time will come where he has a total clunker of a game and is responsible for multiple defensive breakdowns that'll cost him his starting spot. Then he'll eventually get another chance, get hurt, and then be on the outside looking in. A couple more surgeries, more time spent on the DL then on the field and he'll be retired by age 33 or 34.

yikes, sure they generally qualify (and do poorly) in Europe but that is a lateral move at best, for both players involved.

And would he get Julian's DP spot? If so that is not good. Just looking him up a bit, seems like he played for BM the same year Friend scored 18 goals to lead them to promotion. He scored 3 goals in 10 games that season for gladbach, so IMO he would not be DP worthy

Nope, i stand by my comments. On paper he's probably a starter in Bundesliga 1, but the game isn't played on paper. After a few starts in Bund 2 and some defensive mistakes that are overlooked, the time will come where he has a total clunker of a game and is responsible for multiple defensive breakdowns that'll cost him his starting spot. Then he'll eventually get another chance, get hurt, and then be on the outside looking in. A couple more surgeries, more time spent on the DL then on the field and he'll be retired by age 33 or 34.

I don't know, it wouldn't TOTALLY surprise me, but I still do not think he has fallen that far, I agree though he is not a starter in the Bundesliga (although he could get minutes off the bench, a la Kevin Mckenna). Anyways, we shall see...it should be interesting to see where he lands, I hope it is not Tel Aviv.

Brutal post and really based on nothing but contempt for one of Canada's greatest players of all time.

Brutal post and really based on nothing but contempt for one of Canada's greatest players of all time.

Why? That sort of storyline has happened to plenty of canadians in the past, and Julian may have been a great player 3-4 years ago but he hasn't been playing like that for a while now.

I think he's spot on. Julian isn't the player he was in 2007, his defensive side of the game is average at best and offensively he brings very little. Also, his body language tells me that he isn't in to it at 100 %.

No one will forget the 2007 JDG but at the moment he sadly looks like a player who's running his last miles. At the MNT level he isn't a sure starter like he was 3 years ago.

I think he's spot on. Julian isn't the player he was in 2007, his defensive side of the game is average at best and offensively he brings very little. Also, his body language tells me that he isn't in to it at 100 %.

No one will forget the 2007 JDG but at the moment he sadly looks like a player who's running his last miles. At the MNT level he isn't a sure starter like he was 3 years ago.

Sad but true... Simple truth is JDG came to TFC for money and his skill sets are simply not made for physical league with likes of MLS... He destroyed his long term career for short term $ain.

Prior to JDG coming to TFC, he was strongly linked with Espanyol... All I can say is what if...

Not much love here for JDG! I've been hoping his dip in form was mostly due to injuries and being surrounded by generally poor players at TFC, the next couple of months should be an indication of where he's at physically and mentally! It can only be good for the MNT for him to return to form no matter how much some people want to hate on him!

Sad but true... Simple truth is JDG came to TFC for money and his skill sets are simply not made for physical league with likes of MLS... He destroyed his long term career for short term $ain.

Prior to JDG coming to TFC, he was strongly linked with Espanyol... All I can say is what if...

Was there anywhere else for him to go? At the time he did hold out to the very last minute before signing with TFC. He said, he wanted to play in europe. As far as all those other clubs, do we really know how serious the interest was? Anybody can create or manufacture rumors and the espanyol may have been just that. Or there may have been interest but at far less money which may mean less playing time.

Was there anywhere else for him to go? At the time he did hold out to the very last minute before signing with TFC. He said, he wanted to play in europe. As far as all those other clubs, do we really know how serious the interest was? Anybody can create or manufacture rumors and the espanyol may have been just that. Or there may have been interest but at far less money which may mean less playing time.

Agreed.

Interesting in him was nada at the time. He pretty much held out as long as he could from signing for Toronto. It really was his last resort. At the time I was kind of surprised Toronto FC still signed him considering how hard he had waffled and how much he had publically stated he wanted to play elsewhere.

It is easy to second-guess the decisions of individual players based on 'rumours' - the history of Canadian soccer is litterred with players who had potentially career-changing 'interest' in them that just never really panned out...if only Corazzin has signed for Watford instead of Northampton...whatever

Edited by Marc

Not much love here for JDG! I've been hoping his dip in form was mostly due to injuries and being surrounded by generally poor players at TFC, the next couple of months should be an indication of where he's at physically and mentally! It can only be good for the MNT for him to return to form no matter how much some people want to hate on him!

Hate to sound like I am dumping on the guy. For a decade, this was my favorite player on our national team and what i thought was our catalyst. And I still think he belongs on the National team. But when you sign a DP, you expect a player who will improve the quality and play of players around him, not the other way around. Thats why you pay them the big money.

Perhaps, the most telling is the fact that there is an all star game coming up in MLS. Upon signing here, we would have all thought that he would have been a no brainer to see him nominated. But in two seasons, there has been no selection and absolutely no outrage over it. TFC is still one of the top three teams in the league in support. It's fan base and club is pretty influential with the league as a result. Dero and Brennan made on the all star team in the past, but no batted an eye for JDG.

Edited by Free kick

Hate to sound like I am dumping on the guy. For a decade, this was my favorite player on our national team and what i thought was our catalyst. But when you sign a DP, you expect a player who will improve the quality and play of players around him, not the other way around. Thats why you pay them the big money.

I know you follow TFC closely and know how poor the club has been pretty much from day one! I was excited about the signing but wondered how a defensive midfielder will really affect the results of the team, they already had a good one in Robinson! I think Mo brought him in figuring he would show offense like in the 07 Gold Cup, that was a dumb idea! He has been shackled by the crap players he's been surrounded with, I don't know how many times I've witnessed a great pass that other players just didn't anticipate! I'm not sure if the poor team has brought his skills down or if it has just been injury, I look forward to seeing him in the revamped TFC lineup with a bit of quality around him!

I don't hate Julian, in fact i like the guy and wish him the best. Unfortunately we sometimes have to take off the rose coloured glasses and realize when someone just can't get it done anymore. On his first game back this spring he came on as a sub and i don't know if it was the hair cut or what, but he looked a good 20 pounds beefier that before. I just wonder if he maybe needs some outside help in the training dept. because the club trainers might not be pushing him enough or addressing his injury issues properly.

In all likelihood Julian just needs a change of scenery. He needs to go to place (B2, Liga 2, Holland 2) where he can play as defensive mid, play his preferred possession game, and not have too much pressure as DP. Got a great paycheck from TFC? Good for him, now maybe it's time to take off a bit of public scrutiny. We expected too much from an injured defensive mid.

Or maybe (more likely) he's staying put ...