Where is JDG going?

Obinna

We can all read in between the lines here. I for one am happy that Julian will be heading back to Europe, I hope it rejuvenates his career because the Canada needs him to be in form.

Before his move to TFC, he was linked with Ajax, Tottenham, Benfica, and some other mid to lower table La Liga sides, but realistically clubs of this level will not be interested in his services since he is coming from MLS and is 30 now.

What league or club (or type of club would be best for Julian)?

Personally, Julian seems like the kind of player who is motivated by playing against the best, and since he has played in Spain, and England is likely not the place for him, I think a move to Italy would be interesting. Perhaps a club moving back up like Siena or Atalanta would want him.

Another interesting possibility is a Turkish club as alot of our players are moving there. Manisapor would be best from a Canada point of view but I think he has enough quality for teams like Trabzonspor or Bursaspor to have a look.

Well, you are right that this is not a forgone conclusion, but I think the consensus is that he is most likely leaving. TFC now have Frings, Tachani, Dunfield, Sturgis and look primed to sign an international defender (perhaps a DP). This makes sense because Winter has been talking about wanting to sign a defender and now they have traded for an extra international spot and have cleared cap space by removing Nana, Gordon and Peterson.

So I figured this would be a fun thread to get started in the meantime. I really hope he gets out of Toronto soon for Canada's sake, nothing against TFC or MLS the league/team is just not the right fit for him.

Before his move to TFC, he was linked with Ajax, Tottenham, Benfica, and some other mid to lower table La Liga sides, but realistically clubs of this level will not be interested in his services since he is coming from MLS and

back up like Siena or Atalanta would want him.

look.

I don't recall that at all. I recall that he held out at the very last minute for offers before signing with TFC. Those are very big clubs that you have mentioned (Ajax, Tottenham, Benfica) and they have world class players. They play in European competitions. It's just

not realistic for any player to overlook those clubs in favor MLS. you must be thinking of one of those lower Prem club whose name escapes me. But thats Likely all agent talk to boost the value of player.

Regarding those lower to mid level clubs in Turkey. Well that's another story. When the

stories of match fixing in Turkey broke, I checked and looked at the roster of one or

two of those clubs (including the one with the canadians) and I did not recognize a single player on either team. That tells me a lot about the prestige and caliber of the league.

Opinions will vary on JDG performance during his time with TFC but no one will say he was an all star in the league. And you just do not go to Ajax, Tottenham, Benfica from MLS unless you have really made your mark in MLS.

Edited by Free kick

I don't recall that at all. I recall that he held out at the very last minute for offers before signing with TFC. Those are very big clubs that you have mentioned (Ajax, Tottenham, Benfica) and they have world class players. They play in European competitions. It's just

not realistic for any player to overlook those clubs in favor MLS. you must be thinking of one of those lower Prem club whose name escapes me. But thats Likely all agent talk to boost the value of player.

Regarding those lower to mid level clubs in Turkey. Well that's another story. When the stories of match fixing in Turkey broke, I checked and looking and the roster of one or two of those clubs (including the one with the canadians) and I did not recognize a single player on either team. That tells me a lot about the prestige and caliber of the league.

Opinions will vary on JDG performance during his time with TFC but no one will say he was an all star in the league. And you just do not go to Ajax, Tottenham, Benfica from MLS unless you have really made you mark.

Julian was definatly linked to Ajax, Spurs, and Benfica before he moved to TFC in 2009 because I do remember reading that. Neither of those clubs to my knowledge offered him a contract but all of them were monitoring him.

links to Spurs rumors http://footiefool.com/2009/01/12/julian-de-guzman-to-spurs/ http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41524

link to Benfica rumor http://www.portugoal.net/index.php/more-benfica-news/1315-de-guzman-flattered-with-benfica-link

I am too lazy to look up the Ajax rumor but you can bet it was mentioned if those two are.

I think the most likely detination for Julian would be the Scandinavian leagues, the Championship or the SPL, but certainlynot one of the top leagues, his stock has dropped

Interesting.

The only clubs big enough in Scandinavia for Julian would be Copenhagen or Rosenberg, but those are both realistic destinations but ones I do not see him going to. He surely as learned that he is most suited for a technical league like Holland or Portugal. It would shock me if he went to the Championship, we are talking about an international who is still worth 1.75 million. The Championship doesnt break for Internationals and the only way I can see that is if he moved to a promotion contender, but that seems to change with every year. The SPL is also unlikely because I don't think Celtic or Rangers would want him and he is too good for the other teams in the league. Maybe a club like AZ, Feyenoord, or Sporting Braga? I think Ajax/PSV/Twente/Porto/Sporting Lisbon/Benfica are out of his reach at this point.

Edited by Obinna

Is it that obvious/certain that he is leaving TFC soon? I know they acquired the two new DP's, but I don't think that means that it is a forgone conclusion he is done there... unless I missed something.

Agree it doesn't look like for a foregone conclusion. Sturgis could easily be the player traded to thin the numbers at centre mid. On the other hand if his contract guarantee is up at the end of this season and TFC have let him know that there is zero chance of him staying beyond that, some sort of negotiated free transfer contract termination might make sense from his standpoint because the summer window is the best time of year to get signed by a European club. Spain, Germany and Holland are probably his best bets and in the case of the first two it might well be for a second tier club now his stock within the game has fallen.

As an older, experienced, fairly technical defensive player from a less sexy footballing country, he reminds me of a couple of players Sunderland have signed in recent years, such as Cana and Da Silva. A player like him is probably off their radar by now as they flrit with the middle of the table but I thought of them when I read the thread title.

Was it Julian who had a child living in Germany, or do I have that wrong?

And I suspect he could return to the Bundesliga with his reputation. Maybe not as a starter, and definitely not for $40k per week. That's the problem though. Why would he walk out on $1.9m. Sounds like Tchani's been dealt anyway. I wish the Caps could have acquired him.

JDG is not moving anywhere at this time if you ask me.

I doubt anyone takes him at his current wage, so transfering now isn't going to happen. He can't really be bought out right now either, as it's of no benefit to TFC. He'll be on the TFC roster till season end, that's for sure.

If things play out well for him with this new team, I think he may stay and play out the rest of his contract (through all of next season). If he doesn't prove of any value in the next 4 months, then I'd wager he gets bought out in the offseason as TFC can then do that and get him off the books.

I thought he signed for three years at 1.7 or 1.9 mill per year. So this would be the last year of his contract any ways.

Nope, it's through 2012. It was brought up on RPB today while discussing possible player moves. I'd go find the post linking to the article but I'm much too lazy. :)

And I suspect he could return to the Bundesliga with his reputation. Maybe not as a starter, and definitely not for $40k per week. That's the problem though. Why would he walk out on $1.9m. Sounds like Tchani's been dealt anyway. I wish the Caps could have acquired him.

$1.9 million is less than the EPL average wage of almost £1.5 million. Midfielders make more than the League average in all of the major Leagues - it works very similar to the linup from back to front: keepers and defenders below the average, middies above, and forwards leading the line. So, his wages are below average and much below the average Midfielder in the EPL. His current wage would probably be average for the Bundesliga and a bit below average in Spain and Italy for Midfielders. I do not think his wage packet will scare of any likely destination personally.

Jules isn't moving anywhere, but if he did he'd probably end up back in Germany as a squad player for a Bundesliga 2 side.

As soon as he leaves, get used to TFC and those 0-5 scorelines. I hope he leaves that rotting corpse and ends up back in Spain.

"2 Bundesliga-squad player"... Gimmee a break.