Nana and Dunfield traded!!!

TFC07

this sucks two of my favourite caps dunfield and akloul(maybe) now gone! why couldn't we trade one of the useless american players like vagenas or wagner? damn! dunfield would have been great depth even with a new CM. a team full of americans and we're still losing. If the caps are gonna be this bad can we at least have a team made up of canadians!?!?!?!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
this sucks two of my favourite caps dunfield and akloul(maybe) now gone! why couldn't we trade one of the useless american players like vagenas or wagner? damn! dunfield would have been great depth even with a new CM. a team full of americans and we're still losing. If the caps are gonna be this bad can we at least have a team made up of canadians!?!?!?!

I hate losing Akloul as well. Would have happily seen Wagner leaving but not sure we would have got anything in return. With Vagenas on a short term contract I know we would have got nothing for him.

Nana simply didn't fit into Winter's system. Nana doesn't know how to pass the ball

players.

Yes, unfortunately this something That has been a flaw in his game since his rookie year and something that I have noticed and kept an eye on closely every year. I thought it would improve with time but I guess Winter doesn't see it that way. Winter is the only coach that has had an issue with his game. It's not that he can't pass IMHO, it's that he makes too often the easy pass such as back to the keeper.

As a defender I really like him because he has the pace and ability recuperate and and get to stray ball. I have had the opportunity to meet the kid and chat on several occasions and thought he was a first class guy. Wish him the best in San Jose.

I've noticed Nana struggling to pick up the new system as well, not a reflection on him as a player, where he's at in his development & where he could/should go, he was just a square peg in a round hole. Gonna miss him though, a great player with a great future.

Just saw this and at the present time, I don't get either trade. TFC is mega-short-handed at centre-backs, so why deal one of the few we have and of the three injured ones, the only one that was going to make it back this season from injury? And why would Vancouver trade home-town hero Dunfield, who has played well for them. Does Soehn hate Canadians that much? And I can only assume someone else (De Guzman? Sturgis?) will be traded by TFC, as TFC already had an abundance of players suited best for the d-mid position, including two designated players.

Just saw this and at the present time, I don't get either trade. TFC is mega-short-handed at centre-backs, so why deal one of the few we have and of the three injured ones, the only one that was going to make it back this season from injury? And why would Vancouver trade home-town hero Dunfield, who has played well for them. Does Soehn hate Canadians that much? And I can only assume someone else (De Guzman? Sturgis?) will be traded by TFC, as TFC already had an abundance of players suited best for the d-mid position, including two designated players.

A lot of 'Caps fans don't feel that Dunfield has played well with most of the comments on the Southsiders forum stating that he just wasn't good enough. After his missed PK the fan sentiment got worse. Nice bloke but in reality only suited as a depth player at best.

TFC's clearly not done. The international spot + allocation that they seem to be getting back from San Jose is a precursor to an international defender coming on during the transfer window, IMO. Plus Hatchi from Montreal is apparently signing with TFC tomorrow, so that should add some depth in the short term.

Toronto has an abundance of CM's, and I have to think that either JDG is on his way out, or one of Sturgis and Tchani will be shipped out in the coming days.

As for Vancouver, it's been said that Soehn is moving everyone out who are not "his" guys.

Dunfield's biggest problem was that he was on the same team as Koffie. They are both basically ball winners and DM types. Koffie is already better and is improving his game noticeably every month. Terry just couldn't get it done as a CM/Attacking Mid.

He brings a huge enthusiasm and energy to the pitch every time whatever shortcomings he has. Thanks a bunch Terry and good luck at TFC (just not against us).

PS. Let someone else take the PKs :)

Nothing to brag about though... Jesus. TFC has a horrible history of dealing with Canadian Talent. And the list is looooong. A great player but Winter is in over his head as a manager. TFC are a nightmare. Nana couldn't crack a lineup that has Ty Hardin as a regular starter? Hardin wouldn't make FCE's bench. And Dan Gargan? Are you kidding me? They can't find a canadian to fill these roles better? How did Petersen ever get a job playing professionally? It's easy to knock TFC cause they suck so hard and Van aint much better. Watching the two of you argue about who has more Canadian players is hilarious. Montreal too... Bringing in a bunch of guys from France was perhaps the dumbest move Saputo could ever have made. A huge talent pool of QC bred players and proven success using a home based product and you abandon it? Why? They won't even make the NASL playoffs this year. They lost to Atlanta for gods sake... 2 years removed from a beautiful run at the Champions League and now they can't beat a team of amateurs in Atlanta? Good luck in the MLS.

I just watched a great match here in Edmonton last night between #1 and #2 in the NASL. Edmonton, I think had 11 Canadian players getting quality minutes, including subs. Edmonton born, Saiko gets the tying goal. We're in 2nd place. A bit of a shock for a first year team and they're doing it with a largely Canadian lineup. 15 of the 19 goals we've scored this season are from Canadian players. As a fan, I was hoping mid table. I didn't care as long as we had a Canadian talent base. I don't think its a coincidence that the one Canadian team that actually has Canadian players on the field is the only one having any kind of success in the standings.

Watch Nana take off now that he's outta TO. Ty Hardin.... Funny.

A lot of 'Caps fans don't feel that Dunfield has played well with most of the comments on the Southsiders forum stating that he just wasn't good enough. After his missed PK the fan sentiment got worse. Nice bloke but in reality only suited as a depth player at best.

From what I've seen of the Caps games (and I've seen most of them, not just the ones against TFC) I'd disagree with a lot of Caps fans on that assessment, especially if they are basing it on a missed PK (which he's hardly the first player to do).

TFC's clearly not done. The international spot + allocation that they seem to be getting back from San Jose is a precursor to an international defender coming on during the transfer window, IMO. Plus Hatchi from Montreal is apparently signing with TFC tomorrow, so that should add some depth in the short term.

Toronto has an abundance of CM's, and I have to think that either JDG is on his way out, or one of Sturgis and Tchani will be shipped out in the coming days.

As for Vancouver, it's been said that Soehn is moving everyone out who are not "his" guys.

Hmmm.....I thought I read somewhere a flat-out denial from Mariner on Kevin Hatchi coming here. As for Soehn moving out everyone that's not one of "his" guys, that's also apparent, but it's obvious that none of the few Canucks they have (or rather, had) are his guys. Harmse was gone within seconds of his arrival for the great Vagenas, Teiberts playing time has been reduced, and now this. I guess I shouldn't complain because I love having Canucks on TFC.

Anyway, sorry to see Nana go, I hope he does well in San Jose and I think he probably will.

From what I've seen of the Caps games (and I've seen most of them, not just the ones against TFC) I'd disagree with a lot of Caps fans on that assessment, especially if they are basing it on a missed PK (which he's hardly the first player to do).

Well, G-L, don't know what you base your criteria on judging Terry, but he has made more negative contributions than positive contributions on the field. As a defender he plays excellent, but as a playmaker and attacking midfielder, he has not played well and doesn't have the skills to do more then what he's asked. Also seeing him play on the national team, kinda shows what his limitations are and the Caps fans and management have seen enough to ship him out. If he succeeds in TFC, which I'm willing to bet you $100 that he won't, then it's a bonus for Canada, but I think TFC are probably going to use Terry Dunfield as a possible trade fodder down the road.

^ I'm a 'Caps season ticket holder and have been to each of the home games and have watch most of the away matches. The central mid-filed is our biggest problem and Dunfield is a part of that problem. An average at best holding mid and as tcmurph said above, Koffie does the job better. Dunny's range of passing is very limited. He may win the ball but doesn't do anything with it. A big part of the reason we have conceded so many goals is the give aways in midfield that put our D under imense pressure. I won't slag him for the missed PK as he had the nerve to step forward even though there were better options on the field.

His energy and attitude will be missed, his on-pitch contibutions should not be hard to improve upon.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/johnson-jumps-toronto

Toronto FC announced Thursday that they have acquired forward Ryan Johnson from the San Jose Earthquakes along with allocation money and an international roster spot in exchange for forward Alan Gordon, midfielder Jacob Peterson, and defender Nana Attakora.

"We are rebuilding the club and this deal was necessary to continue that process" said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter. "I'd like to thank Alan, Jacob, and Nana for their contributions to Toronto FC. We are very pleased to add an experienced forward in Ryan Johnson. We expect him to make an immediate impact at our club."

Yeah, it's an odd one for sure. I have funny feeling the JDG's days are numbered.

Yeah, it's an odd one for sure. I have funny feeling the JDG's days are numbered.

Maybe he'll go back to Spain. Get his career back on track. Be kinda neat to see him play with his brother. They could travel to our WCQ's together.

Well, G-L, don't know what you base your criteria on judging Terry, but he has made more negative contributions than positive contributions on the field. As a defender he plays excellent, but as a playmaker and attacking midfielder, he has not played well and doesn't have the skills to do more then what he's asked.

Well I base it on the fact that he's a defensive midfielder and not a playmaker nor an attacking midfielder, so it seems strange to criticize him for any failures in that latter regard. I haven't seen him play an attacking midfield/playmaker role (ie. a #10) for either the Whitecaps or the National team and I highly doubt he'll be utilized there for TFC. He's got his weaknesses and I'm not saying he's a god, but does whip in some good crosses, corners, free kickss and usually keeps his team in possession (I suspect both attributes are what Aron Winter likes about him from a technical level). And frankly from what I've seen, shipping him out was priority Z144 on the list of Whitecaps problems (priority A1 should perhaps be finding a new coach).

I've noticed Nana struggling to pick up the new system as well, not a reflection on him as a player, where he's at in his development & where he could/should go, he was just a square peg in a round hole. Gonna miss him though, a great player with a great future.

To be fair, I don't think that he got much of chance to adapt to adapt to the new system. Played the first game in Vancouver and got benched shortly afterward. Seldom got off he bench.

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2011/07/johnson-jumps-toronto

Toronto FC announced Thursday that they have acquired forward Ryan Johnson from the San Jose Earthquakes along with allocation money and an international roster spot in exchange for forward Alan Gordon, midfielder Jacob Peterson, and defender Nana Attakora.

"We are rebuilding the club and this deal was necessary to continue that process" said Toronto FC Head Coach and Technical Director Aron Winter. "I'd like to thank Alan, Jacob, and Nana for their contributions to Toronto FC. We are very pleased to add an experienced forward in Ryan Johnson. We expect him to make an immediate impact at our club."

Well, they had better use up that international spot for a high-quality central defender, as that is otherwise a very high price to pay to get Ryan Johnson.

Well I base it on the fact that he's a defensive midfielder and not a playmaker nor an attacking midfielder, so it seems strange to criticize him for any failures in that latter regard. I haven't seen him play an attacking midfield/playmaker role (ie. a #10) for either the Whitecaps or the National team and I highly doubt he'll be utilized there for TFC. He's got his weaknesses and I'm not saying he's a god, but does whip in some good crosses, corners, free kickss and usually keeps his team in possession (I suspect both attributes are what Aron Winter likes about him from a technical level). And frankly from what I've seen, shipping him out was priority Z144 on the list of Whitecaps problems (priority A1 should perhaps be finding a new coach).

Well good luck with him G-L, and yeah, our priority is coaching, but probably won't happen till the end of the season, and judging by the trades, seems Tommy Soehn or Bob L is running the future of the club, whether positive or negative remains to be seen. Most Cap fans wish him the best. All I care for is we start building quality players to work with Hassli and Camilo and judging by the trades, seems the Caps are not going to accept a losing season or futility ever again, but it remains to be seen. Also I'm sure it'll ruffle feathers, but the Caps have less and less Canadian content. Kinda tells you moreso, how sad Canadian Soccer is at, that we have "technically" 3 players with Canadian citizenship requirements.

Archived