Carolina at Edmonton (R)

Carolina Railhawks at FC Edmonton.

Game Finished at 1-1. but was full of so much more.

Strike this one up to a 'mare of a game for John Jonke where the early lead for the Hawks could have been put down as an OG off a wicken JJ deflection, if not for Fabers tap in on the line.

Railhawks 1-0 Eddies

Worse came for FCE when the Jonk was given his marching orders for a rash challenge on Millar. Feet were down but in the eyes of the refer the challange was late and robust enough to warrent the brandishing of red.

The Eddies however hve been in this position before so played the remainder of the 60 mins as a solid unit , not afraid to attack when the chaces arose Suprenant making Knighton streatch late in the First Half.

The Game remained balanced throught the second half with theStamdout Moment coming when the Bartman pulled of what has to be the save of the season so far.

Block on his left had side the loose ball set up nicley for the oncoming hawks but the show was blocked at pointe blank range, Producing the pivotal moment of the match.

The Eddies seamig to draw strength from their Mercurial Custodian pushed for an equaliser and were rewared when "Big Tony" Antoniuk was hauled down reaching for a cross near the far post.

A Red was brandished to even out the Participents in the proceedings and Saiko made no Mistake in evening out the score.

Railhawks 1-1 Eddies.

The game at this point resolved itself to the tie Althought Unlike the two points dropped to the Stars 10 days Ago this will indeed feel like the 1 point gained, and more importantly another point in the cusion that holds the Eddies 2 points above third in the Table.

I can't believe the attendance was just shy of 1900. Both sides of the stadium were filled with more people than the Montreal game and that was about 2,300. Something is wrong with the way they keep track. Maybe there were a lot of "freebies" in attendance that didn't count for ticket sales. If that's the case, I have no faith anymore in attendance figures. There had to be close to 3000 in attendance at least. Also, there will be no retro shirts on Sunday. Apparently it will be in August when they will be worn.

jedinathan and I were discussing it at the game and over at the ESG forum, and I'm pretty sure the attendance was right. There didn't seem to be as many people as the montreal game in the reserved seating. However, I believe it was the best attendance for a mid-week game all season, and if the weather is right hopefully it'll build into the weekend match up.

Footy Lad is correct, apparently the "Tampa Bay Rowdies" side of NASL Retro Night were having legal issues with using the name... too bad, 'cause it's a great idea.

Second what strobe_z has said. Only adjustment on the numbers would be anyone who snuck in the side gate (like myself) which was open. Don't think that would have pushe it closer to 2000 though. I missed te Montreal game but the crowd that was there was pretty consistent to what I've seen announced as 2000 before. Great to see that many people out for a Wednesday night game though. Just means that when FCE gets it's own stadium and can aim for more weekend games there will be that many more people out.

Also as an aside, I'm really impressed with the advertising blitz/campaign that's going on with the radio ads along with the live broadcasts. Good stuff. I hope that FCE wears the retro jerseys on sunday even if Tampa doesn't.

I think they count your seasons tickets as attendance no matter which gate you sneak in from... ;)

It was nice to see so many people out for a mid-week match, I think the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, so hopefully we'll have a good turnout. I think it'll be pretty good, I feel a bit of energy starting to build. I've noticed the number of "going to my first FC Edmonton game" tweets has gone up recently. Friend of mine who was driving up from Calgary caught the first half of the game on the radio... that really really helps.

Archived