WWC Final - JPN vs USA

CoachRich

This is a dream final for me as the tech possession and passing skill of JPN makes them one of my fave teams. It will be interesting to see how the big athletic possession and direct game of the USA matches vs the JPN game. Could be a game all about heart and momentum in the end.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting matchup: big-time players (USA) against a big-time team (Japan).

The Nadeshiko were 54% possession against Germany and 60% against Sweden. They also held the Germans to four shots on net and the Swedes two. Two great teams with pretty capable coaching resources behind them that couldn't impose their style of play or crack the Japanese system. It will be interesting to watch the game from simply that perspective, to see how the Americans attempt it.

There's much more to coaching than tactics and strategy, and in the "man" management and human part of the equation, Sundhage has cooked a pretty impressive hendecagon. All the elements (characters) seem to balance off each other and naturally "fit" together to create much more than the sum of the parts.

Interesting matchup: big-time players (USA) against a big-time team (Japan).

The Nadeshiko were 54% possession against Germany and 60% against Sweden. They also held the Germans to four shots on net and the Swedes two. Two great teams with pretty capable coaching resources behind them that couldn't impose their style of play or crack the Japanese system. It will be interesting to watch the game from simply that perspective, to see how the Americans attempt it.

There's much more to coaching than tactics and strategy, and in the "man" management and human part of the equation, Sundhage has cooked a pretty impressive hendecagon. All the elements (characters) seem to balance off each other and naturally "fit" together to create much more than the sum of the parts.

Very true. There is a belief on the American team that they are the best and that attitude means they never quit. Japan has lost twice to the U.S. in the last year which has to have at least some psychological effect on them.

I am sure that the contrasting styles of the two finalists will add to the drama (and arguements). I am sure that if Japan could field larger stronger players that had the same skill level then the would certainly do so and if the American's could field players just as strong and just as large with better ball skills they would do so too.

It is the classic match up of a boxer against a fighter.

^ good way to put it.

Wambach has 10cm (4 inches) on the Japanese central defender and 18cm (7 inches) on every other defender. She's also got a good vertical and uses her head like an appendage and doesn't care what it strikes.

I wish I had the skills to intersperse this with clips of Wambach headers:

Oh, no, they say he's got to go

Go go Godzilla

Oh, no, there goes Tokyo

Go go Godzilla

And fitness. The Japanese women just never run out of gas.

Kobe beef and suishi....

Seriously... I would love Japan to win the cup... it would be great for the game and show just how Koreans would be so so strong if they were unified.

We in Canada have a lot of soul searching to do... I am afraid we don't have the right women leading the CSA to really do it.. apparently Dr. Dom was on a panel in the last few days talking about women's football... which is such a huge massive joke that the CSA could only put him forward for an expert panel.

Why did Clive Wilkinson from Ontario a CSA Director at large not influence Dr.Dom to sent Kara Lang, someone who could offer real insights into the game in Canada to the assembled delegates from FIFA nations around the world... and someone who has shelf life longer then the next FIFA election.

Take look at how on the women's side Canada is succeding in placing strong vibrant competent women in high levels of the sport...head of referee's at WWC .. Canadian.. member of the FIFA technical ctte .. Canadian...

so why did Dominic grab the seat when we should have placed someone there with a background in women's soccer its shocking a suit like him sucks the life out of the organisation by doing such a thing, and worse the provincials and independent directors dont call him out publically.... that means you Clive Wilkinson..how can you tolerate such a silly grabbing of the limelight.... you boys at CSN out to grab onto this story and find out...

Was CSA asked to provide someone... Was Dr. Dom the only one they put forward, what is his background in the women's game other then fighting with Morace ?

Questions to be probed.. maybe a email to Clive and ask him why he did not speak out about this publically and get the right person on the panel not a hack who will be out of a presidency at the next election.

Pissed in Paris... on Patis Ricard.

Kobe beef and suishi....

Why did Clive Wilkinson from Ontario a CSA Director at large not influence Dr.Dom to sent Kara Lang, someone who could offer real insights into the game in Canada to the assembled delegates from FIFA nations around the world... and someone who has shelf life longer then the next FIFA election.

Was CSA asked to provide someone... Was Dr. Dom the only one they put forward, what is his background in the women's game other then fighting with Morace ?

Questions to be probed.. maybe a email to Clive and ask him why he did not speak out about this publically and get the right person on the panel not a hack who will be out of a presidency at the next election.

Pissed in Paris... on Patis Ricard.

Maestracci does not consult with or listen to his Board, Trillium. He has proven over the past couple of years that he doesn't even listen to the CSA lawyers. Clive has no influence over this guy whatsoever. Meastracci will continue to treat the CSA as his personal toy until he leaves next year - end of story. Nothing you, me or the CSA Board says or does will dent his ego at all. There's no doubt he will be rewarded with something from his corrupt friends at FIFA when he departs from the CSA.

This is an interesting analysis of Japan from May 14th and 18th games. It will be interesting to see what differences and adjustments Japan might make.

http://nscaa.com/blog/2011/match-analysis/japan-wnt-match-analysis-and-scouting-report/

I watched one of those exhibition games and the Japanese weren't even in the game. They look a lot better in Europe than they did the states.

I watched one of those exhibition games and the Japanese weren't even in the game. They look a lot better in Europe than they did the states.

You're right, the Japanese could hardly muster a shot in those games. Their improvement is remarkable, however the fact that they have never beaten the U.S. has to give the Americans a big advantage.

Out for coffee in the old town hall square this morning and the Japanese and Americans are out and about. The fan mile should hop late this afternoon and tonight. If it is half as good as the atmosphere for the semi, much good, old-fashioned Voyageur fun will be had.

With regard to the semi, the bus-full of TSV Munchen 1860 fans from Busenberg (with their local girls team) who adopted me were literally a barrel of fun. At least 14 of us squeezed into an old brewers barrel for plenty of "all-in" pre-game consumption. Accordingly, I have been initiated into the "Frauen fussball versteher" club.

Well, they could still win it but most of the play by the Japanese looked like a scene from The Simpson's where they took a shot at the sport of soccer. If possession soccer means 12 passes among the back line then I prefer the more direct approach. The US has had about 5 good solid chances which could have produced a goal.

Japan is probably very happy they are still tied.

What a match - it's a bit refreshing to see so little faking injury, blatant diving, negative football ruining the beautiful game. The men could learn a lot from this. The Copa America looks like a hyper-fragile Ice Capades by comparison.

And what an equalizer by Japan - we must have jumped a meter in the air at our Japanese Candian home :>

What a great game this became after Japan realized they could play with the US. Heartbreaking defeat for US but good for women's soccer. Japan finished 3rd in Asia qualification and US finished thrid in Concacaf and had to have a playoff game with Italy to reach the show. Each had a defeat in a group match and only finished second out of their groups.

What were the pre-tournament odds on Japan winning?

Archived