WWC Quarterfinals [R]

navycyr

France-England

Best game I have seen so far in the tournament. That Équipe de France just never quits ! Trailing 0-1 they kept attacking while England was defending tooth and nail. Finally scored on a perfect shot on the top right corner in the 86th minute. Then France wins on PKs (4-3). Certainly the best game so far in the tournament. Better than most of the men's 2010 world cup games. I would watch soccer like that everyday. My hearth is with Équipe de France altough I know their chances of winning it all are very thin. I like the coaching, the technique and the girls character. I hope people involved in WNT at all levels CSA, coaches and players watched them because there is a lot to learn from them. For example, I never felt any sense of urgency from the canadian players to score a goal against Nigeria. I had the impression they just continued to play the way they were before trailing. In comparison, France increased its pressure over England as teh game was progressing towards the 90th minute. On the coaching side, the french coach got angry at a journalist at the third question he was asked about Sinclair in a pre-game scrum against Canada, saying he did'nt care about Sinclair to play or not, that ha had well prepared his team and that he did'nt want to talk about that, stopping right there the distraction Sicnclair might have been for his team preparation. On coaching again, on team selection, France coach saying he is looking at complimentarity of the players while most of our players look the same, same style, same strenghts, same weaknesses, on the field, replacing a player by another, you just feel like getting more of the same.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the interesting things about the French team compared to the other final 16 is that 10? of it's players come from the same pro team. The players are from Olympique Lyonnais who has won three Challenge de France titles and the UEFA Women's Champions League in 2011. Another 5? players come from the pro team Paris St-Germain. Also with the final 16 is that 14 come from nations with pro leagues and the other 2 (BRA and JPN) are from semi-pro leagues where teams are being embedded or are already in men's pro clubs and academies. What I find interesting about this too is both the Kerfoot group in 2008 and Morace had suggested to the CSA to put the whole CWNT as a team in the WPS. Maybe they should have looking at the final 16. Regardless it's great to see the women's game moving ahead in leaps and bounds around the globe.

The French were better than the English for most fo the 120 minutes. The English also had the shootout twice and lost it.

Are you watching this one?

Auf wiedersehen.

To all the people who said we lacked size and strength. Think again.

The French were better than the English for most fo the 120 minutes. The English also had the shootout twice and lost it.

Auf wiedersehen.

I know of a highly paid women coach (not Morace) who swears that size matters. I hope she was watching the Japan Germany game today.

One of the interesting things about the French team compared to the other final 16 is that 10? of it's players come from the same pro team. The players are from Olympique Lyonnais who has won three Challenge de France titles and the UEFA Women's Champions League in 2011. Another 5? players come from the pro team Paris St-Germain. Also with the final 16 is that 14 come from nations with pro leagues and the other 2 (BRA and JPN) are from semi-pro leagues where teams are being embedded or are already in men's pro clubs and academies. What I find interesting about this too is both the Kerfoot group in 2008 and Morace had suggested to the CSA to put the whole CWNT as a team in the WPS. Maybe they should have looking at the final 16. Regardless it's great to see the women's game moving ahead in leaps and bounds around the globe.

That was certainly an interesting idea. Anyone knowing why it never happened ? On competition years we could have the U20's and players not making the team play for it and develop themselves as well. Would be in my mind not more costly and more beneficial than outside the country training camps.

With Germany losing against Japan, competition is wide open for who will be crowned world's women champions. That game was less entertaining in my opinion than France/England but I appreciated all the effort the Japeneese have put in, almost close to exhaustion. Clearly the hardest working team I have seen in this tournament and they deserve winning would it be only for that. Great finishing touch by # 18 on the winning goal in OT with a sharp angle.

For anyone saying we have been eliminated because we were in the toughest group, with today's results (France on PK and Japan in OT), I don't see how our girls could have made it in group B either.

How women's international soccer has improved over the last four years ? Incredible. The difference between teams is thinner than ever. Last two times champions get knocked out in quaterfinals in front of their fans, that would have been unthinkable four years ago. Both games going in OT, one of those up to PKs, shows you can't take anything for granted anymore and teams are sufficiently close enough that anybody can beat anybody else on a given day. Many times, it will be those who want the more to win that will come up with victory. Today, altough Germans came up with desperate efforts at the end, Japan were more hungry for the win, and came away with it.

That was certainly an interesting idea. Anyone knowing why it never happened ? On competition years we could have the U20's and players not making the team play for it and develop themselves as well. Would be in my mind not more costly and more beneficial than outside the country training camps.

I forgot to mention that the Kefoot group was going to fund the majority of the program. This was good as the CSA has maybe only $1M of direct funding they can use that doesn't cut into other programs. The only other way for the CSA to get more funding is to ask Sports Canada and OTP to sign off on the program so restricted funding can be used. Would probably be a first for restricted funding programs but heck the advantages of funding the largest participation sport in Canada and making our NT better is worth it IMO.

Auf wiedersehen.

+1000

Interesting article a couple of days ago

Germany Feels Strain of World Cup Expectations

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,772399,00.html

GTrans of Spiegel front page moments ago

The Dream in over

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.spiegel.de/&usg=ALkJrhijkemP_Bo9uXI9PDtYbs-qjf3YNQ

By Peter Ahrens , Wolfsburg

image-235932-panoV9-hxtm.jpg but_foto.png

AFP

So no one expected: Germany has failed in the World Cup quarter-finals to Japan. To haphazardly played by German women, even the otherwise dangerous free kicks and corner kicks brought in nothing. The fans are upset, the tournament loses its main attraction.

OK boss Jones had dreamed the night before the game, Germany had defeated Japan 3-0. Not only is her dream exploded on Saturday evening in Wolfsburg. It is basically the incredible happened: Germany, the high title favorite, world champion, the inspiration for the whole World Cup atmosphere is, in the quarter-final against Japan 0-1 after extra excreted . No one had expected.

The German players were after the final whistle as if struck by lightning to the ground and lay there motionless. Defender and midfielder Peter Babett colleague Simone Laudehr let the tears flow. In the stadium where the roar was previously 120 minutes, there was no such thing as a collective state of shock. After the final whistle it was completely silent for a moment, as if the audience does not yet grasped what had happened before. Germany coach Silvia Neid was the first one who found after leaving their language. "Something like this can happen in football. I'm no great blame the team,"

Just a couple of things that were on my mind tonight:

France coach saying he is looking at complimentarity of the players while most of our players look the same, same style, same strenghts, same weaknesses, on the field, replacing a player by another, you just feel like getting more of the same.

1. The Japanese, outside their central defender, all seemed to be cut from the same mold. Small, darting, quick thinking and able to play like that for 120 minutes.

2. Neid left Grings struggling up front for 105 minutes before she went to Popp. Prinz and Bajramaj never came off the bench.

3. For all the creativity the French have in run of play, their dead ball plays were ridiculously meat and potatoes, amateur and inefficient.

4. The French never practiced penalties.

Just a couple of things that were on my mind tonight:

1. The Japanese, outside their central defender, all seemed to be cut from the same mold. Small, darting, quick thinking and able to play like that for 120 minutes.

2. Neid left Grings struggling up front for 105 minutes before she went to Popp. Prinz and Bajramaj never came off the bench.

3. For all the creativity the French have in run of play, their dead ball plays were ridiculously meat and potatoes, amateur and inefficient.

4. The French never practiced penalties.

You're right about the Japaneese, all cut in the same mold : that is hard-working, tireless. When you practice such a style, everybody has to play the same or it won't work. Just make me think about Netherlands Johan Cruyff total football team in 1974 : every player had to enter the playing style for it to work. I really don't think we have such a team "personality" requiring everybody to fit in.

For the dead balls, that was certainly an area we were very good, especially against the Germans, but that was clearly not enough to move our girls further in the competition. If I had to choose between the two, I would take creativity on the play.

I don't see why you say French never practices penalties, only the first girl missed ! The keeper did'nt made any save, but this was the second goalkeeper.

Man, the Japanese were very quick and great with possession. Their endurance and quickness outlasted the Germans at times and their single goal was amazing. If they make a mistake, four players would close down the threat very quickly.

The better team won that day.

I don't see why you say French never practices penalties, only the first girl missed ! The keeper did'nt made any save, but this was the second goalkeeper.

It was actually the announcer who spoke to the French team who said it. They never practiced them in training.

If they make a mistake, four players would close down the threat very quickly.

x 10.

They also dictated the rhythm of the game by constantly pushing the pace. The Japanese coach calculated their best chance against Germany was to make them run faster and harder than they're used to and cause physical and mental fatigue. The Germans had no counterplan, did not look well motivated, felt the spectre of elimination in front of a packed house and panicked, and no one stood up when they needed it.

The power went out in my area just after the three penalty kicks were taken. I'm Watching the replay (which is in extra time now) on TLN.

What I can't understand is that before the power went I saw this: USA miss, then retaken and Goal; Brazil goal; USA miss. But now that I can check in FiFA.com on match tracker it says that all first three shots were goals.

By the way, in this match, it looked like the ref had money on Brazil. Let me recapitulate:

1) a foul was called in the box when there was no foul to call.

2) a red card was issued for some explainable reason when the Marta was not the last player.

3) roughly three more fouls occurred in the brazil box that were not called, granted one or two looked dubious. But certainly not more dubious than that one PK that she did award to

brazil.

4). The decision on the retake of he PK was scandalous. Reminiscent to me of Korea versus Spain in korea in 2002.

5) a few key offsides play were not whistled on Brazil.

Anyways as a neutral I want to see see the better teams advance so I'm glad for the final result. Wambach may be anoying with her diving and faking, but it was team wide when it came to brazil. Their antics and sportsmanship were atrocious ( did anyone see how they would throw the ball away on US throw ins) and their goal by Marta was lucky.

The power went out in my area just after the three penalty kicks were taken. I'm Watching the replay (which is in extra time now) on TLN.

What I can't understand is that before the power went I saw this: USA miss, then retaken and Goal; Brazil goal; USA miss. But now that I can check in FiFA.com on match tracker it says that all first three shots were goals.

By the, in this match, it looked like the ref had money on Brazil.

The US was given a re-take for the first penalty as the Brazilian keeper was about 3 yards off her line by the time the US player struck the ball. Boxx scored on the re-take. This was a lot more legit. call than whatever it was gave Brazil a chance for a re-take on their pk to tie the game - Solo never left the line and the encroachment in the box was negligible if it happened at all. Then Brazil scored on a build-up that was off-side to take the lead. Have to admire the US ability to come back from two dubious decisions and a player down to win on penalties The announcers kept saying the US fans were the ones booing Marta but all the shots of people wearing German jerseys also doing the booing suggest the neutrals were doing it too.

Yup. Hope Solo moved along the goal line on the PK. She is allowed to do that. The brazil keeper definitely moved out for the first PK. That latter was the right call.

Btw. Watching the pks now. Don't know why I thought USA missed their second. That was when the power went out.

Women's football has sure come a helluva long way in a short time.

That's very true. But I am seeing more evident gaps now in second round that weren't as evident to me in the first round. Even though it both the FRA-ENG and USA-BRA games were close on the score board, they certainly didn't look to be on the pitch. Which seems to emphasize to me the magnitude To which Canada has fallen or we must have just drawn a really tough group. It's hard to believe that ENG is better than Canada.

Getting the top seed is important at this event and we didn't get it. As host, we should have it.

That's very true. But I am seeing more evident gaps now in second round that weren't as evident to me in the first round. Even though it both the FRA-ENG and USA-BRA games were close on the score board, they certainly didn't look to be on the pitch. Which seems to emphasize to me the magnitude To which Canada has fallen or we must have just drawn a really tough group. It's hard to believe that ENG is better than Canada.

Or, rather, the magnitude of the bad game they had against France. Canada beat England 2-0 at the Cyprus Cup.

I did not see a replay of the Brazil PK that resulted in the retake, but the twitterfeed certainly noted the encroachment (although the validity of the call was questioned). I also think that Marta shouldn't have been allowed the retake, but I don't know how the rules are written in that regard.

I thought the foul on Marta was worth a yellow, no more.

Or, rather, the magnitude of the bad game they had against France. Canada beat England 2-0 at the Cyprus Cup.

I did not see a replay of the Brazil PK that resulted in the retake, but the twitterfeed certainly noted the encroachment (although the validity of the call was questioned). I also think that Marta shouldn't have been allowed the

I thought the foul on Marta was worth a yellow, no more.

Marta and the defender got tangled up. Both were challenging for the ball the defender has just as much right to it.B. Edit.: I just watched the play again and I did not see a foul on he play, Marta went in the air to play the ball and she came down on the ground.

Good point on the retake. I don't know what the rules are. If it's a re take, how can a different player take it?

I actually wasn't too impressed with Brasil-USA compared to yesterday's matches. There was too many of the traditional flaws of women's football on display: first goal was atrocious miskick and last goal was partially a goalkeeping error. We also saw lots of set pieces based on a premise on a hope and prayer that someone will knock it in.

The good stuff today and also yesterday was that penalty kick taking has improved, match fitness has improved and the teams have become close enough for drama to enter the matches on a consistent basis.

Well, I thought it was the most exciting soccer match I ever saw. It had it all, an own goal, a penalty kick and a red card, a blocked penalty kick, a re-kick to tie the game, a team playing with 10 and having half the possession, a few calls the ref will wish she didn't make after she sees the video tape, a headed goal at the last possible moment in a match at 120+minutes and a penalty kick contest with the team that came back winning the match.

If this were Hollywood the script would be too implausable.

Wow. Was going to say how much this tourney has grown on my household, especially after Saturdays matches which were so much fun to watch but then there was today's USA-Brazil fixture.

Very rarely will you find me and mine cheering on the USA, and don't get me wrong, I don't feel they were especially hard done by today or anything but when Wambach scored in added time... the whole house shook.

Jogo Bonito my ass.

Archived