FC Edmonton vs Mtl Impact - attendance back up

The 700 was a bit of an Aberation Due to the NHL Stanley Cup Final Series of Ice Hockey*.

Thankfully the riots in athens have nothing to due with the Thessolinica Titans beating Athenia Ambrossia in the Greencian peanuckle championships, So that, and the promised good weather will hopefully aid in getting the Numbers up!

*Hey, if the CBC feel free to annoy me with their retardation of the English language with "The FIFA Women World Cup of Soccer" then Im going on the same trip with the Hockey.

When you actually break out the languge and rework FIFA from the french, What the Anounccers are saying is..

The International Federation of Football Associations' Womens World Cup OF Association Football )

ITS A FIFA COMPETITION FOR GAWDS SAKE! WHAT ELSE ARE THEY GOING TO COMPETE IN? TIDDLYWINKS!:mad::D

And the govermnment what me to do an English Test? JEEZSE-

From all accounts the game on Sunday was the best crowd of the year (from the Edm-Mtl Gamethread).

I am a little concerned about the long term health of the team when I see the average through 6 games of 1949, but that being said, Montreal started out with an attendance near 2000 and they are very healthy now. Too bad the team weren't in Calgary so I could round up a few guys to join the Supporters!

From all accounts the game on Sunday was the best crowd of the year (from the Edm-Mtl Gamethread).

I am a little concerned about the long term health of the team when I see the average through 6 games of 1949, but that being said, Montreal started out with an attendance near 2000 and they are very healthy now. Too bad the team weren't in Calgary so I could round up a few guys to join the Supporters!

Well with a lot of weekend games coming up in months that are usually far less rainy, I don't see why you kids can't make a little carevan. Your admission is a ticket and a Peter's cheeseburger and oreo milkshake for Daniel of the ESG.

I think that the team has really started to get a handle on what they need to do to get people in the stands. I was pretty impressed to hear (well done) radio ads, on some of the top radio stations in town. As well, I'm getting the sense (nothing confirmed by FO though) that there was a pretty major push for corporate sales as well as the walk-ups.

I wasn't there, so I can't comment on it too much, but it seems like they really worked on getting people out. Couldn't have come as a better time either, as school is just getting out (family crowd will be interested), and summer is kicking into full swing. Great time to get the young crowd out to have some beer and get into a new club.

I'd argue that attendance is only one element of the equation. A team will not outright fail because of an average attendance of 1949. Foote field is hardly ideal for footie. Attendance is of course a key revenue stream, although I'd argue that there are a lot of other proverbial ducks to get in a row (sponsorship, media, supporters group, web, players, development teams, coaching, trainers, etc). It's my impression that these are on their way. With professionalism in these areas and wins on the field, I'd venture to say that the buying public will take attention.

Plus, très cool that they've rolled out a 3rd jersey in honour of the old NASL Drillers! Apparently, a one yr old club can have a history too!

The Montreal game might be the start of a positive trend for attendance. The good weather on the Sunday afternoon combined with a solid performance by FCE should hook a lot of people that were curious. Now if only we could do something about those beer prices, haha.

Well with a lot of weekend games coming up in months that are usually far less rainy, I don't see why you kids can't make a little carevan. Your admission is a ticket and a Peter's cheeseburger and oreo milkshake for Daniel of the ESG.

The only thing standing in our way is the instinct to cheer AGAINST any sports team from Edmonton. Could be hard to convince people to make the trip.

The only thing standing in our way is the instinct to cheer AGAINST any sports team from Edmonton. Could be hard to convince people to make the trip.

I know what you're saying. I watched almost every Toronto FC game from 2007 to 2010, and I felt virtually no emotion for them, no matter how hard I tried.

I can't stand the Toronto Maple Leafs, but in the CFL I don't dislike the Argonauts, so it's not just an "anti-Toronto" thing; or at least, that's not all it is. There was also something about Toronto FC that I just couldn't like. Once I knew that Whitecaps were in MLS, I stopped trying to pretend to like TFC.

I'd argue that attendance is only one element of the equation. A team will not outright fail because of an average attendance of 1949. Foote field is hardly ideal for footie. Attendance is of course a key revenue stream, although I'd argue that there are a lot of other proverbial ducks to get in a row (sponsorship, media, supporters group, web, players, development teams, coaching, trainers, etc). It's my impression that these are on their way. With professionalism in these areas and wins on the field, I'd venture to say that the buying public will take attention.

Plus, très cool that they've rolled out a 3rd jersey in honour of the old NASL Drillers! Apparently, a one yr old club can have a history too!

Attendance may be only one aspect, but if you have it, then the other things will all follow. In contrast, if you have all the other things, and no attendance, you will still fail. It's the only thing that the fans actually control. I agree with you about the 3rd jersey: if I were a billionaire, I'd build a stadium in Edmonton, build a team called Edmonton Drillers, and deck them out in blue and black striped jerseys. Cheers.

I'd love to go if the Caps play them. One guess as to who I'll be cheering for. Highly doubtful any Calgarian would cheer for an Edmonton team much less travel to do so.

Bringing out a remake of the old Drillers is a good idea. In Canada you have a whole history of teams that tried and in part paved the way for you. Paying respect to them is a good idea.

I know this is probably in the wrong thread but will Edmonton play Vancouver now? In terms of goals against, Edmonton was dead last in the V Cup but in league play, they're beating Montreal in the standings. Anyone know if that will figure into the cup play? A Vancouver/Edmonton leg would be awesome for attendance in both cities for supporters.

I think with Montreal moving up to MLS, they'll be seeded number 3 regardless of the NASL standings from this year.

Which Kind of makes a Mockery of the Division 1 (MLS) Division 2 (NASL) Classification. I make this comment not only in respect of Montreal's relative no-show this season; but also the Railhawks abilty to bring, not only a gun to a knife fight, but a bloody big Howizer with a full batalion of stormtroopers behind it!

I'd love to go if the Caps play them. One guess as to who I'll be cheering for. Highly doubtful any Calgarian would cheer for an Edmonton team much less travel to do so.

There are almost as many Calgary products on the team as there are Edmontonians. I personally see them as Alberta's team and have made the trip twice and plan to do so again.

Again, to those concerned or worried about press coverage I can tell you as someone who's been a local newspaper editor for years that the team and league aren't seen as professional enough to warrant concern.

Don't blame the media; these owners are warned six ways to Sunday before they start a franchise -- at least, they were in Edmonton -- what reasonable local commercial expectations are, and if the team doesn't meet them, it'll take winning a title to get any attention, and even then it might be problematic.

It's not enough to take small steps that placate die-hard fans of live football. You need the full-meal deal of a proper pro team.

You won't get that with soccer here until numerous steps are taken to better promote the league, the quality of the product, the eventual stadium construction and the overall notion that this stuff is as worthy of following as soccer overseas.

This isn't a value judgment or personal judgment; it's just the reality of it. That's been proven over and over with soccer at this level in North America, and yet proponents of growth from "the grassroots" still don't seem to get it.

For those that aren't really involves in the media, what steps does the team need to make? I recognize that the club isn't as pro as the oilers, and is probably below the rush, but I think FCE has been better than the capitals (or at least I perceive them as being more professional than the capitals), yet the capitals get more press. It's frustrating for a fan of FCE to hear about how the capitals did in a league that matters less than the NASL.

For those that aren't really involves in the media, what steps does the team need to make? I recognize that the club isn't as pro as the oilers, and is probably below the rush, but I think FCE has been better than the capitals (or at least I perceive them as being more professional than the capitals), yet the capitals get more press. It's frustrating for a fan of FCE to hear about how the capitals did in a league that matters less than the NASL.

They've taken a lot of tentative steps in the right direction, but fall generally short in each area. It's not for lack of goodwill though, they're certainly trying. And some of the problems relate more to the NASL as a venture.

1) The media covering soccer have strong, ingrained biases due to past failures by past leagues. So they have to see it as being on par with the other leagues they cover.

2) Every day, at the top pro level, media is given a reason to care. Reporters are fewer and further between due to massive industry-level cutbacks in the last decade, so the more they're given daily to make their job easier -- every single damn day -- the better.

That means (and FC Edmonton is quite wrong in thinking this is all very expensive.)

* Quotes from the players and staff

* New angles and developments on training, team development, expectations, personal perspectives from players

* Spoon-fed delivery of information, i.e. emails to the sports departments' designated FC Edmonton guys with useful info each day, plus an FTP site where news and hi-res game and practice photos, and videos, can be downloaded daily.

* A website that is a news site unto itself, similar to MLS. Again, this is not expensive if done right and info feeds from all the NASL teams are shared. It's just a differnet wordpress frontend CMS, basically.

* A strong local campaign to get a stadium going, keyed around a good artist's rendition, hardcore fan requirements, promoting said benefits, naming the stadium, finding a location and everything else except, for now, paying for it, which is a bit more complicated. It's not enough to say you're going to eventually build a dedicated football stadium. The die-hard euro snob needs to see it. Without the die-harder -- not grassroots, like on this board, but the die-hards who only appreciate quality footie -- buying in, the right atmosphere won't be created. A stadium is a HUGE boon to that end.

* A free audio feed for local radio to carry games. If it costs them nothing and they get some traffic, it might actually get done. At the very least, web broadcast quality for the entire league needs to improve dramatically.

* A centralized PR desk for the league that knows how to handle the press. They hired a soccer blogger to handle PR which is a nice, cheap thought, but doesn't help when it comes to understanding media expectations in the print and broadcast universe.

* A community promotions outreach of significant quality. The team isn't even buying local print campaigns because it deems them too expensive (and they are, but that's because hundreds of thousands of people SEE THEM.

Overall, there's a lack of realization that with so many established first-tier sports, the only way to really excite the general public is for the team to run it like a business scraping for its last dime, instead of as a hobby. None of these things is expensive to maintain or set up, but it requires hiring hard-nosed media and sports professionals, not congenial and convivial businessmen and friends of the family.

Unfortunately, I believe there's too much ego involved from those running it to see this, and they refuse to listen to ideas considered contrarian to concepts they've already accepted. They knew, for example, that multiple teams already had blue-and-white Jerseys more than a year before their first season started, but they went ahead with those colours anyway, because there's blue in the Edmonton City Crest -- which is almost completely bloody irrelevant to their customer base.

That's off the top of my head. They're just not professional enough for the marketplace. Hell, the Rush get 9,000 a game and actually market reasonably well -- do YOU think pro lacrosse is more popular than pro soccer here? No. So what's the problem? Obviously, market penetration.

The people they need to win over already have established teams to follow. They have to work a lot harder.

Archived