Only in America?

tmcmurph

This article is funny in a twisted way. Imagine the horror of playing a home game and it feels like an away game with a hostile crowd and we are NOT talking about Canada for a change!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008444/Only-America-U-S-soccer-team-booed-Mexico--California.html

Postgame done in Spanish and USA keeper Tim Howard had some choice words about it.

This article is funny in a twisted way. Imagine the horror of playing a home game and it feels like an away game with a hostile crowd and we are NOT talking about Canada for a change!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008444/Only-America-U-S-soccer-team-booed-Mexico--California.html

Postgame done in Spanish and USA keeper Tim Howard had some choice words about it.

Snigger Snigger!

Perhaps a stadium in Arizona would have been more partizan.

Australia and Serbia played a friendly in Melbourne a month ago, Serbian fans vastly outnumbered Aussie fans.

England and Ghana played in London recently, Ghana fans outnumbered the English.

It happens more often than you'd think.

Honestly, Americans have no one but to blame themselves for not coming out to support their team in cup final game. I highly doubt other nations would have a problem with this (including Canada) to get their countrymen and countrywomen out to a championship game.

Australia and Serbia played a friendly in Melbourne a month ago, Serbian fans vastly outnumbered Aussie fans.

England and Ghana played in London recently, Ghana fans outnumbered the English.

Those are friendly games where it isn't taking seriously by the fans. USA-Mexico in other hand was the championship game on USA soil. Big difference!

This is not true. There were way more English at that game....

In my eyes the US isn't the home team in this tournament. They shouldn't expect any special treatment being the home team, since they are EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT. The tourney just happens to be in the US to maximize revenue and attendance, but the US shouldn't be privy to special treatment as a "home team" because the tourney happens to be in the US. They already have a ridiculously unfair advantage having all their games on US soil, so suck it up and deal with the fact that the Gold Cup is primarily a Spanish speaking tournament with Spanish sponsors and viewers.

In my eyes the US isn't the home team in this tournament. They shouldn't expect any special treatment being the home team, since they are EVERY SINGLE TOURNAMENT. The tourney just happens to be in the US to maximize revenue and attendance, but the US shouldn't be privy to special treatment as a "home team" because the tourney happens to be in the US. They already have a ridiculously unfair advantage having all their games on US soil, so suck it up and deal with the fact that the Gold Cup is primarily a Spanish speaking tournament with Spanish sponsors and viewers.

We have the right answer! Obviously Howard isn't fully up to speed on CONCACAF economics rule #1: have Mexico play in all the American cities with major Mexican populations and be able to charge double, triple what they can do in Mexico.

The Gold Cup is run by the arm of the MLS. They also own the rights for Mexican matches in the US. They weren't idiots for having Mexico play in Dallas, NJ, Houston & Pasadena.

And as I read in a blog, the generation of Mexican-Americans over 40 don't cheer for the US because 1. they're shocked the US actually fields a team 2. can't believe any white American plays soccer after the age of 10.

South rises: In many South states, the Hispanic population has doubled on ten years ago, with Hispanics outstripping whites for the first time in New Mexico - 46 to 40 per cent

Trust the English to be vaguely racist without meaning to.

They were in English when the Americans got their medals. And it was no funeral tone either - he went all out stretching out U - S - A albeit with a Spanish accent which might have ticked off Howard used to the dulcent tones of the English lads.

It was in Spanish when Mexico got theirs other than for saying goodnight and thank you at the very end.

South rises: In many South states, the Hispanic population has doubled on ten years ago, with Hispanics outstripping whites for the first time in New Mexico - 46 to 40 per cent

Trust the English to be vaguely racist without meaning to.

How is that comment racist?

The real issue isn't that things are done in Spanish or English is the total lack of anything en francais by the Gold Cup,

MLS , NASL or USL .

Totally ignoring the 20 miillion plus that speak French with-in the CONCACAF jurisdiction.

Or the Dutch in the Caribbean for that matter.

And as I read in a blog, the generation of Mexican-Americans over 40 don't cheer for the US because 1. they're shocked the US actually fields a team 2. can't believe any white American plays soccer after the age of 10.

1. How can they be shocked that the US fields a team, when the US are their major rival?

2. See above.

The real issue isn't that things are done in Spanish or English is the total lack of anything en francais by the Gold Cup,

MLS , NASL or USL .

Totally ignoring the 20 miillion plus that speak French with-in the CONCACAF jurisdiction.

Or the Dutch in the Caribbean for that matter.

I suppose you have to draw the line at some point. The predominant language of CONCACAF is Spanish, and the tournament is hosted in the States. English and Spanish. If the tournament were hosted in Quebec, I'm sure French would be used too.

How is that comment racist?

It is "vaguely racist" (emphasis mine) because it says that Hispanics are not "whites". Problem is we have no easy, short descriptor for those of predominantly Western-European ancestry so we are often left with this innacurrate descriptor.

It is "vaguely racist" (emphasis mine) because it says that Hispanics are not "whites". Problem is we have no easy, short descriptor for those of predominantly Western-European ancestry so we are often left with this innacurrate descriptor.

I don't think the problem lies with the descriptor for Western Europeans, but more with the fact that "Hispanic" covers a cultural group that is cross ethnic. There are both white and non-white Hispanics. In this case they should have used "non-Hispanic Whites" when contrasting the demographics of the two groups. I doubt it's racism and more to do with not understanding the subtleties in dealing with Politically Correct language.

Honestly, Americans have no one but to blame themselves for not coming out to support their team in cup final game. I highly doubt other nations would have a problem with this (including Canada) to get their countrymen and countrywomen out to a championship game.

Sorry but that's rubbish! Don't feel bad though. You aren't the first person I've heard say that this week.

For all we know Americans tried to get out for the match but couldn't get tickets. It would be one thing if the Gold Cup final wasn't a sell-out, then you'd certainly have a valid point.

Spanish is the #1 mother tongue in California for a reason. And it's a pretty unique reason. It's not fair to compare US willingness to "support" their country with Canadian "support" this way because Canadian supporters aren't up against that kind of competition. Nothing even close! Not ever! Yes, lots of immigrants in Canada too but not all from one soccer-mad country that's also only a short drive away.

I can appreciate Tim Howard's frustration, in that I think it's wrong that the tournament ceremonies were in Spanish only. English should have been a part of them too.

I would have an easier time appreciating Howard's frustration if not for the fact that every Gold Cup during his career has been held in the USA. For that reason, I don't think the USA are entitled to all the things that usually come with hosting a tournament.

Archived