U17 World Cup - Canada vs. Uruguay June 19th

jpg75

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfit in last ten.. mental breakdowns and we are down by three. Patient dominance by Uruguay, some functional errors playing the flat back four.... we were too flat and never seemed to have the speed to make multiple players in the back line to have a strong angle on attackers ..with second and third man in place.

Not sure if its ... failure to execute or ?

The next two games will tell us.

That was salt in the wounds, a 3-0 scoreline is a little harsh. I felt the Uruguayans were the obvious aggressors until they scored and then they let us push for an equalizer. Our undoing were stupid mistakes at the back...again. Seems like a constant no matter Canadian Men's team is playing.

I was expecting much better from our best players, Aleman and Alderson, who I felt did not have good games.

That was salt in the wounds, a 3-0 scoreline is a little harsh. I felt the Uruguayans were the obvious aggressors until they scored and then they let us push for an equalizer. Our undoing were stupid mistakes at the back...again. Seems like a constant no matter Canadian Men's team is playing.

I was expecting much better from our best players, Aleman and Alderson, who I felt did not have good games.

It looks like Aleman is using this as an audition for European clubs as he tried some very hopeful shots from distance that never had a chance of going in!

We looked pretty good against CONCACAF opponents in qualifying and no doubt a couple of these kids could have reasonable pro careers but when we line up against a team like Uruguay our lack of technical ability is exposed!

Crepeau is one for the future. What a nice goalkeeper! Hope the injury isn't serious...

Too bad about that mental mistake on that first goal.

We are always going to get dominated by those SA teams, they have more skills than us but if we had scored on one of those first half chance the game could've been different.

Let's hope for a result against England.

****.. Had to miss the last ten minutes. I saw enough good things to be very encouraged about our future. The scoreline is disappointing in that we deserved better. Goal diff is going to be important because you can advance with three points. I hated this referee though. That pK was not deserved it was certain not more deserved than the one that was denied to Canada.

We looked pretty good against CONCACAF opponents in qualifying and no doubt a couple of these kids could have reasonable pro careers but when we line up against a team like Uruguay our lack of technical ability is exposed!

In the past, yes... And it showed. But this was one of the times where we showed we could play with them at various periods. That's why the scoreline is disappointing. Remember, this is pretty reputable south american soccer nation. Remember how we looked against Colombia at the u 20 in holland? We barely touch the ball in that game.

****.. Had to miss the last ten minutes. I saw enough good things to be very encouraged about our future. The scoreline is disappointing in that we deserved better. Goal diff is going to be important because you can advance with three points. I hated this referee though. And I am not one to complain about the reffing too often. That pK was not deserved it was certain not more deserved than the one that was denied to Canada.

Yeah got to see the pk again and that was a dive for sure, weak call

Really? I thought that they were two of our best players. Along with Crepeau. I am not saying that they didn't make some mistakes but they showed the kind of things that we need in the program. Namely, a confidence to come forward and show some good touches. Aleman drew a key foul at the edge of the box.

Not a good 10 days for our National program after the Gold Cup debacle then this result tonight! Maybe I'm being a little harsh on the kids but I was hoping for much better! Our programs really need something positive to happen soon!

Yeah got to see the pk again and that was a dive for sure, weak call

I thought he clipped him. Looked like a deserve PK to me (I also don't see the point of trying a dive in that situation). I also thought we should've had one in the first half. Too bad but that's how the game goes sometimes.

I think the scoreline was hard on us.

Too bad about the scoreline, but I thought we played relatively well and we're just punished on our mistakes. Aleman, Alderson and Jalili played well, and Morris off the bench looked good in stretches late in the match. Should not surprise anyone about the skill level of these South Americans, but it was just too bad we couldn't convert.

The Uruguayans seemed to have adjusted in the second half and poor clearance quickly resulted in their first goal. Good things to take from this match, and move on to get a result from the England game. Too bad about Crepeau...

Watched most of the game, missed the first 10 minutes. I thought in the first half we deserved to be ahead. Some great quick movement created a couple of golden opportunities. It doesn't need to be said that if we finish our chances it's a different match, but a quality team will almost always make you pay the price in those situations. I didn't think Alderson had a good match but it's easy to see that he's got quality. Aleman showed flashes, to be honest I think our right winger, (sorry can't remember his name off hand) who was subbed off was Canada's most dangerous player. Petrasso looked good as well when he wasn't duffing golden chances. We deserved to lose because of a terrible lapse in concentration, that took away all our good momentum, in a world cup that will sink you. Hopefully they learn from it. The score was flattering to Uruguay however. We definitely had stretches where we were threatening.

In the past, yes... And it showed. But this was one of the times where we showed we could play with them at various periods. That's why the scoreline is disappointing. Remember, this is pretty reputable south american soccer nation. Remember how we looked against Colombia at the u 20 in holland? We barely touch the ball in that game.

In fairness that Colombian team was very, very good. South American teams are going to always have a big advantage vs most countries at youth levels. Because south america exports so much talent 17-20yr olds get lots off opportunities to be first team regulars in decent leagues not to mention they are playing in pro systems from a young age, this is the reason SA teams do so well at these levels.

Archived