7/5/2011: Canada v. Nigeria

Vic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morace needs to make adjustement on the left side of the Canadian defense. The 2 Nigerian attacks that ended up on the post were coming from that side (in addition to the nigerian going alone because of a badly played offside line by the left D).

Wake up girls ! Still one half to go to save the honor!

Can't believe we can play so bad having played so well against Germany in the first game. France already behind 2-0 against same Germany. Every time I switched games Germany was in control of the ball, most often in France territory. Our girls are not as bad as the 4-0 score might indicate. But they clearly have to play better in this game second half because I will start thinking we were lucky in the first game or that Germany was not in a good day.

i don't get it. this was not a good showing at all. how did they go from having such a good run, to playing so badly? i know they were not playing the best teams in the world leading up to the tournament, but it seems to me the problem was much more psychological then physical. lots of soul searching to come in the next few months. must look towards the olympics! still behind our team 100%. they will learn from this and be all the better prepared next year.

2007 China

Norway 2 Canada 1

Australia 2 Canada 2

Ghana 0 Canada 4

Record 1 1 1 4 pts +3 Goal Difference 3rd in Group

Germany 2 Canada 1

France 4 Canada 0

Nigeria 1 Canada 0

Record 0 0 3 0 pts -6 Goal Difference 4th in Group (and probably 16th in tourney)

The Coach was replaced after the 2007 result.

EP must be laughing in his beer right now.

That was painful to watch.

Completely agree with that. To the lack of technical abilities I have to add lack of character for Canada. I would have prefered by far watch Germany - France. That Équipe de France what character have they shown! They came back 1-2 and 2-3 after trailing by two goals, the second at 10 against 11 and even almost tied the game at 3-3 in a game they were already qualified. Fully deserve their qualification. Our players have not shown half of that character. A great deal of work has to be done and I don't think a year will be enough to straighten things out ! From where we start, we will have barely enough time to prepare for 2015 when we will be host team. Really poor showing !

2007 China

Norway 2 Canada 1

Australia 2 Canada 2

Ghana 0 Canada 4

Record 1 1 1 4 pts +3 Goal Difference 3rd in Group

Germany 2 Canada 1

France 4 Canada 0

Nigeria 1 Canada. O

Record 0 0 3 0 pts -6 Goal Difference 4th in Group (and probably 16th in tourney)

The Coach was replaced after the 2007 result.

EP must be laughing in his beer right now.

It's gets more telling when you look at Canada trend in the youth world cups:

Womens U19/U20

2002- reached the finals of WC

2004- reached the quarter finals of the WC

2006- did not advance out of the group stage at WC

2008- did not advance out of the group stage at WC

2010- did not Qualify for WC

* in eight short years we have gone from second best in the world to not being able to qualify out of concacaf for the World Cup. Stunning drop by any measure.

Womens U17 WC

2008- reached quarter finals at the WC

2010- eliminated at the group stage at WC

I see a more disturbing and very consistent trend there. And you can't blame Pellerud for

this one. Nor can we say, that Canada hasn't improved because the core of that U19 team that went to finals in 2002 is now the core of the senior team. It's just that the rest have started to take women's soccer seriously.

Yikes .. Yet I didn't think they would take charge and win convincingly, and expected maybe a 0-0 draw. I don't think Nigeria is a good team by any stretch tho. Canada talked the talk but they don't walk the walk. A team of sports cliches .. 'show them what we can do'.. sure .. obviously the France game wasn't a one-off, but closer to the truth. What positives they take from this ... the weather? the food?

All very well to look at the coaching records but Pellerud is a dinosaur still walking the earth. The coaching hasn't gone downhill for Canada, to the contrary. The other countries, those outside the affluent white suburban types (US, Canada, Scandinavia, Aus, NZ) and the 'put a team out there for national pride' types (China, S and N Korea), have just decided to take the thing a bit more seriously.

'Participation' can only get you so far.

To be a completely fair - Nigeria are a very good team Their results are solid and consistent too: 0-1 Germany and France, 1-0 Canada. Healthy stats in every match too. They are a team of the future. And if they can push Germany and France like that, well... Pellerud was well known for asking Canadians "do you want to play beautiful and lose or un-beautiful and win?" - if he was selling women's football to Nigerians in Nigeria it would be "do you want to play hetero and go home in group, or..."

I would say more Nigeria is a solid team which means you need to take the game to them to break them down. In this WC, Canada was in no shape physcially, technically, tactically and certainly not mentally to defeat a team at Nigeria's level.

We seen this many times over the years with the Cdn men and the women are just following in their footsteps as we continue to fall behind other countries who have a proven development model have finally decided to take the women's game more seriously. The Nigerians excluded lesbians while we include everyone but develop no one.

You know, just thought of some of our missed scoring chances so far at this WC and how they may have gone if Belanger was not injured. She seemed to have a nice touch around the net and put in some nice goals in 2010.... Could have, should have... Guess we will see in the Olympic Qualifying!

She missed to the team not only for her play but for her character. I have seen her play for the Amiral and what an inspiration is she for her teammates running her hearth out on the field. Really unfortunate she wasn't there. But that's no excuse for others not to show up !

I would say more Nigeria is a solid team which means you need to take the game to them to break them down. In this WC, Canada was in no shape physcially, technically, tactically and certainly not mentally to defeat a team at Nigeria's level.

We seen this many times over the years with the Cdn men and the women are just following in their footsteps as we continue to fall behind other countries who have a proven development model have finally decided to take the women's game more seriously. The Nigerians excluded lesbians while we include everyone but develop no one.

Totally agree. Call me old fashion and lacking tolerance, but I would like to see a team made out with no lesbians. Maybe that is a start.

Totally agree. Call me old fashion and lacking tolerance, but I would like to see a team made out with no lesbians. Maybe that is a start.

I don't see that a point except if there are love affairs within the group and it becomes a distraction for the whole group !

Good luck with that!

Should Canada have prepared for the cup by playing more difficult opponents? I have often wondered why we do not enter the Algarve Cup instead of the Cyprus tournament. Did we have too high of an expectation because we were winning against second tier teams?

the players sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with the skill or lack of skill on the team; with their team unity; or psychological game. to suggest this is completely ignorant to the current times. give me a break!

bottom line is they didn't show up to play.

All very well to look at the coaching records but Pellerud is a dinosaur still walking the earth. The coaching hasn't gone downhill for Canada, to the contrary. The other countries, those outside the affluent white suburban types (US, Canada, Scandinavia, Aus, NZ) and the 'put a team out there for national pride' types (China, S and N Korea), have just decided to take the thing a bit more seriously.

I'm inclined to agree, though Morace's "what went wrong" interview on CBC didn't inspire me with a lot of confidence either. If we can't get a men's league of our own, who does she think is going to pay for a woman's league?

A start for what? You really think that they lost to France 4-0 because they were all too busy fantasizing during the game about showering with France's #14 or something?

Lesbians suck because they don't let you join in. Now Bi's on the other hand....

Archived