Canada vs Panama Starters

Canada1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If 'the great' Ali Gerba does not score this GC I think some folks should re-asses their love affair with the guy. He had a golden chance last game. And should probably get a few more.

I may defend Friend... but I've never said he was much of a goal scorer.

Apparently that is all that is expected of Gerba.

And if he doesn't score but people start talking about everything else the guy does for the team... so help me God... I will be serving up a hot stinking plate of your own words.

Brother, he can run around out there (or not) looking like Betty White, I don't care just so long as he puts the ball in the back of the net.

were not playing Spain here, were playing a team that let in two goals to 10 man Guadeloupe. We have guys that need time to gel, I saw Simpson dribble through 4 guys last game then stop. We need to do what Jackson does, go for the jugular. Everyone else can just chill out.

+1. Oh yeah ... perhaps.

If 'the great' Ali Gerba does not score this GC I think some folks should re-asses their love affair with the guy. He had a golden chance last game. And should probably get a few more.

I may defend Friend... but I've never said he was much of a goal scorer.

Apparently that is all that is expected of Gerba.

And if he doesn't score but people start talking about everything else the guy does for the team... so help me God... I will be serving up a hot stinking plate of your own words.

Who said he's great? He's sorely lacking on many levels as a footballer. Only, Friend is worse.

You can't argue with 15 goals in 30 games if you're trying to figure out who to put up front on an offensively challenged team. No nevermind, let's go with the guy who "distracts defenders" with his "intangibles".

What is important to me in this match, is that we go in with two formation/style variations, instead of sticking with the same plan throughout the match.

The back-six would be as follows:

----------Borjan (if healthy)--------------

Peters - Hainault - McKenna - Klukowski

--------Dunfield - deGuzman-------------

1 - Peters would give us much-needed attacks up the right side, as Mike provided on the left vs Guadeloupe.

2 - deGuzman may only be able to give us 60 minutes, so a second half substitution will be planned for.

Up front, I would have us flip flop between two set-ups:

Variation 1 (4-2-3-1 possession style):

S. Jackson - W. Johnson - Simpson

---------------Friend----------------

Variation 2 (4-4-2 direct attacks):

W. Johnson ---------------Simpson

-------S. Jackson - Friend --------

1 - Easy to do -- just slide Johnson out right and Jackson up front with Friend.

2 - Gives us two looks to explore and review from our end, including seeing what works best to maximize Friend's input.

3 - Gives Panama two different looks/styles to defend and adjust against. Keep 'em on their toes.

Substitutions/ Adjustments:

1 - Gerba comes on for Friend around the 45 - 60 minute mark. Friend will have (hopefully) beaten the Panama defense down a bit by then. Newly-in-shape Gerba can hopefully pick-up the pace, to finish them off.

2 - deRosario in for deGuzman. Julian may be worn out after 60 minutes at a high pace. deRosario offers us a more attacking and speedy option to end with. He and W. Johnson would swap spots (moving Johnson to a more defensive role). deRosario is capable of swapping between the #10 role and right wing (that Johnson did up to now).

3 - If we get desperate for goals at the end, we can leave Dunfield as the sole d-mid, freeing up 5 players to attack. Pacheco would be a late-sub possibility, if Dunfield or W. Johnson are getting tired.

Archived