Jackson-------------------Simpson

--------------Gerba--------------

Dero comes in around the 60th min for Gerba and the formation switches to:

---------------Borjan--------------

Peters----Hainault-McKenna--Kluko

---------Hutch-------JDG-----------

Johnson--------Dero--------Simpson

--------------Jackson--------------

Damn right it isn't. But that's probably because he isn't playing "in the hole". What tournament are you watching?

He did against the US, Hart moved him to the right wing for Guadeloupe.

US:

-------Jackson---------

Simpson-DeRo-Johnson

----Dunfield-Hutch----

Guadeloupe:

--------Gerba--------

Simpson-JDG--DeRo

--Johnson--Dunfield

We gain nothing through a one goal game. We must score +2 on Panama. Might as well shape the starting 11 based on that.

If we win by one goal we qualify for the QF's (with 6 points). If we draw we risk being out of the tournament, lose we're gone. I would prefer playing another game even if it is against Mexico.

I think it's time to stop f*ing around with deRo in the starting lineup. Put Hutchinson behind the striker, and two of Johnson, Dunfield, and JDG in front of the back four (my preference right now would be Johnson and Dunfield until JDG gets his magic fro back). We need our two most talented players linking up in the attack, and that's Hutch and Simpson.

As opposed to the fast and highly appealing non-possessional style I suppose...how I miss those days.

It looks as though Hart has Canada playing a very slow posessional style game, probably due to heat concerns. It's very ugly and can be non effective when trying to break down defences on the attack. It's not fun to watch and was very evident in both matches against the USA and Guad as players showed very little interest in bringing up the intensity. Also it does not bring the best out in the players. Unfortunately expect the same against Panama.

Keeper: Borjan

Left Back: Klukowski

Center Backs: McKenna & Hainault

Right Back: Peters

Holding Mid: Johnson

Attacking Mids: Hutchinson & De Ro

Left: Forward: Simpson

Centre Forward: Gerba

Right Forward: Jackson

If Hart decides to play the same style, I am worried that if we get behind at some time in the match that the players will have a hard time responding to urgency especially in very hot conditions. Hopefully Hart proves me wrong.

From what I have seen so far there are some poor perfomances from some players but really the big problem I have is the style of game Hart has the boys playing.

I was being sarcastic. I like watching them pushing the ball around...the problem is knowing when to stop and take a shot. Simpson looked like he could beat the entire Guadeloupe team but he's got to be more selfish and shoot. How many shots did we take that game? Makes it hard to score.

Really? You miss us constantly giving the ball away with long balls to nowhere?

Hope David Edgar has joined the squad. We're dropping like flies and have no cover at the back!

Indeed. I think we are down to 5 defenders in total for the squad, which, if we hope to make it further in the tournament, is ridiculously few. Call Edgar in.

Indeed. I think we are down to 5 defenders in total for the squad, which, if we hope to make it further in the tournament, is ridiculously few. Call Edgar in.

According to John MOlinaro...still not Edgar call up. I guess we're just going to beat these teams with a shorthanded squad even though we can call people up. Jesus.

Molinaro also says Atiba is questionable for the Panama game... What the hell happened to him?? That would be catastrophic in my eyes...

This is not good... I feel our best shot is a line up with Simpson wide left and Jackson wide right (Simpson - Hutch - Jackson in front of De Guz - Johnson) and no De Ro or Dunfield. Tough to do with no Atiba.

Molinaro also says Atiba is questionable for the Panama game... What the hell happened to him?? That would be catastrophic in my eyes...

Write him off for the Panama game. KJ reports that he's actually doubtful...

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/06/13/hutchinson-doubtful-de-jong-out-of-gold-cup/

I like to see Issey called up... I believe he's still part of the taxi squad and he's got the speed and creativity we seriously lack, other than Simpson.

In the possible absence of Hutchinson (YIKES!), the following line up provided as balanced and supported attack - read no arbitrary long balls - and a layered defence with skilled DM's. While the actual DM's used might be the subject of debate, the formation is sound. De Rosario must support Gerba closely and be available to have the ball laid off to him, but he can also run at the D and have a go. Simpson and Jackson must each act as ade facto striker when the ball is on the opposite side of the field, again in close support of Gerba. Gerba cannot be left all on his own. De Jong provides a sound defensive option on the left side, with Pacheco doing the same on the right. Both are, or can be, very effective passers.

Gerba

Simpson de Rosario Jackson

De Jong Pacheco

Klukowski McKenna Hainault Ledgerwood

Borjan

In the possible absence of Hutchinson (YIKES!), the following line up provided as balanced and supported attack - read no arbitrary long balls - and a layered defence with skilled DM's. While the actual DM's used might be the subject of debate, the formation is sound. De Rosario must support Gerba closely and be available to have the ball laid off to him, but he can also run at the D and have a go. Simpson and Jackson must each act as ade facto striker when the ball is on the opposite side of the field, again in close support of Gerba. Gerba cannot be left all on his own. De Jong provides a sound defensive option on the left side, with Pacheco doing the same on the right. Both are, or can be, very effective passers.

Gerba

Simpson de Rosario Jackson

De Jong Pacheco

Klukowski McKenna Hainault Ledgerwood

Borjan

De Jong is out of the Gold Cup

I think Hart is still trying to figure out how to fit the puzzle pieces together in the attacking midfield roles. Simpson is a lock on the left. Maybe time try Jackson in middle of the attack... Dero has not been really dynamic in that role for us this tournament.

Gerba

Simpson Jackson Dero

Johnson JDG

Kluko McKenna Hainault Ledgerwood

If 'the great' Ali Gerba does not score this GC I think some folks should re-asses their love affair with the guy. He had a golden chance last game. And should probably get a few more.

I may defend Friend... but I've never said he was much of a goal scorer.

Apparently that is all that is expected of Gerba.

And if he doesn't score but people start talking about everything else the guy does for the team... so help me God... I will be serving up a hot stinking plate of your own words.

were not playing Spain here, were playing a team that let in two goals to 10 man Guadeloupe. We have guys that need time to gel, I saw Simpson dribble through 4 guys last game then stop. We need to do what Jackson does, go for the jugular. Everyone else can just chill out.

I think we'd all be deluding ourselves if we said we aren't nervous about the match tomorrow. I'm interested in the idea of having Jackson as a attacking mid player, to link up with Simpson and DeRo on the wings. Could be an interesting experiment. Should we be at a stage where we still need to experiment? Not at this tournament. Perhaps in the WCQ's this fall against the minnows, but not against Panama tomorrow. We go with Simpson and Jackson on the wings, DeRo in the middle, JDG and Johnson as D-mids, and pray to whatever god we believe in that Ledgerwood has a STELLAR match. In my opinion, he's the weak link in the back line.

Very very nervous for tomorrow. Especially without Hutchinson. I honestly think we have the team to do it, we should beat Panama 6 or 7 times out of 10. I just have very little confidence in this team without Hutchinson in the midfield....

If no Hutch I will be stunned if they got through. Even with him, I think it will be difficult. They have to win. I look back at the Guadeloupe game and those crosses with one man in the box surrounded by 3 defenders, and I mean, geez. And all those damn back-passes. Canada definitely will have to up their game significantly.

The key to even having a chance is to stay in the game early because Panama comes out like a bat out of Hell. Maybe Panama tire quickly, I dunno, they have given back goals later in the game, but if they go up 2-0 early, doesn't really matter, it will be more flopping to close it out than seen at the seal exhibit at the San Diego zoo.

Perhaps I'm over-estimating Panama based on the one game I've seen of them. Perhaps Canada's possession game might throw Panama off. Perhaps Canada get it together just in time. Perhaps somebody has a monster game. Perhaps a lucky bounce ... Perhaps if I pray!

Archived