Canada vs Panama Starters

Canada1

It looks as though Hart has Canada playing a very slow posessional style game, probably due to heat concerns. It's very ugly and can be non effective when trying to break down defences on the attack. It's not fun to watch and was very evident in both matches against the USA and Guad as players showed very little interest in bringing up the intensity. Also it does not bring the best out in the players. Unfortunately expect the same against Panama.

Keeper: Borjan

Left Back: Klukowski

Center Backs: McKenna & Hainault

Right Back: Peters

Holding Mid: Johnson

Attacking Mids: Hutchinson & De Ro

Left: Forward: Simpson

Centre Forward: Gerba

Right Forward: Jackson

If Hart decides to play the same style, I am worried that if we get behind at some time in the match that the players will have a hard time responding to urgency especially in very hot conditions. Hopefully Hart proves me wrong.

From what I have seen so far there are some poor perfomances from some players but really the big problem I have is the style of game Hart has the boys playing.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would choose the same first eleven. But I wonder why Hart has not attempted swapping the wingers. Putting Simpson into a right slot would allow him to shoot more. It is not as though we are some amazing team at completing crosses.

We don't play two attacking central mids, we play two holding mids in front of the back four and have done since Yallop. DeRo in the hole isn't working, the rhythm is lost with him pulling the strings there. Start DeRo off (late game-winning sub) and let Hutch do what he did against Ukraine again ffs.

-------------Borjan-------------

Peters----Hainault-McKenna--Kluko

-------Johnson-------JDG-------

Jackson-------Hutch----Simpson

--------------Gerba-------------

Same XI as Guadeloupe with Hutchinson in for Dunfield and I'd feel pretty good.

If we're going to hold the ball like we did I think Jackson must see much more playing time. He's a threat from range as we saw vs Panama and his confidence is likely still pretty high in his own ability.

I like the idea of starting Peters on the right, only becuase he has the pace to run the wing and that may help open the pitch for us....Hutch in for Dunfield...start Jackson (the only Canadian player willing to shoot at the net).....Gerba looks more effective off the bench ....

Borjan

Ledgerwood---Hainault--Mckenna---Kluka

---------Dunfield-----Johnson----

Jackson-----Atiba------Simpson

---------Gerba-------------

We need to give Jackson the start on the right side and I prefer DeRo as a supersub. The rest is unchange apart from JDG making room for the return of Atiba.

If we are already qualified at the start of this game I say go for the win. If we aren't and a tie gets us through I think we'll need to be smart in the way we approach the game.

Borjan

Ledgerwood---Hainault--Mckenna---Kluka

---------Dunfield-----Johnson----

Jackson-----Atiba------Simpson

---------Gerba-------------

We need to give Jackson the start on the right side and I prefer DeRo as a supersub. The rest is unchange apart from JDG making room for the return of Atiba.

If we are already qualified at the start of this game I say go for the win. If we aren't and a tie gets us through I think we'll need to be smart in the way we approach the game.

I think DeRo would really thrive as 75th minute sub in this tourney. He'd get more 1 v 1s in a freelance role against tired defenders and would generate some good things for us in the process. I was happy to see him stick to the coach's instructions and keep on the right flank last night, so maybe he's mentally prepared for the supersub role at this stage of his career and (more significantly) in these particular weather conditions. Johnson is the quickest (and fittest!) defensive presence of the three guys vying for the two spots working alongside Hutchinson so he's a starter, so that leaves a decision to go with Dunfield or JDG in the other spot and I guessing the latter may get the start come crunch time.

I wouldn't mind going with Loyola's starting XI, just with Julian in place of Dunfield. As I've said before on here Dunfield is the more consistent player right now, but De Guzman still has the ability to be one of the best in CONCACAF on his day, something you can't say for Dunfield.

I also am very against dropping Johnson, he's a quality player that gives us something defensively that we can't get from De Ro or Jackson. That's why I'd be more inclined to start De Ro as an impact sub if Jackson is starting against the Panamanians.

I wouldn't mind going with Loyola's starting XI, just with Julian in place of Dunfield. As I've said before on here Dunfield is the more consistent player right now, but De Guzman still has the ability to be one of the best in CONCACAF on his day, something you can't say for Dunfield.

I also am very against dropping Johnson, he's a quality player that gives us something defensively that we can't get from De Ro or Jackson. That's why I'd be more inclined to start De Ro as an impact sub if Jackson is starting against the Panamanians.

I wouldn't drop Johnson, either, I just don't want to see him on the flank for us. He's probably our best "destroyer" right now in that he's fit and quick into challenges and he broke up a number of plays, especially in the second half. I have concerns about the defensive quickness of Dunfield and the overall fitness of JDG (he got the hook for Pacheco). Speaking of Pacheco, he had a nondescript nine minutes of playing time.

We don't play two attacking central mids, we play two holding mids in front of the back four and have done since Yallop. DeRo in the hole isn't working, the rhythm is lost with him pulling the strings there. Start DeRo off (late game-winning sub) and let Hutch do what he did against Ukraine again ffs.

RE: DeRosario -- I couldn't agree more. We need to make sure we've got two very strong holding mids who can free Hutch up to run the midfield and lead the attack. DeRo is too erratic, doesn't pass quickly or often enough, and ends up forcing Hutch into a holding role. If we want to keep our shape--ie. not get caught out on the counterattack--then we need JDG and Johnson holding and destroying behind Hutch. I like Soju's line-up, though I am worried about Peters a bit.

This

-----------------Borjan------------------

Peters----Hainault--McKenna----Kluko

----------------Johnson-----------------

DeRosario----------------------Simpson

--------------Hutchinson----------------

---------Gerba---------Jackson---------

perfect

RE: DeRosario -- I couldn't agree more. We need to make sure we've got two very strong holding mids who can free Hutch up to run the midfield and lead the attack. DeRo is too erratic, doesn't pass quickly or often enough, and ends up forcing Hutch into a holding role. If we want to keep our shape--ie. not get caught out on the counterattack--then we need JDG and Johnson holding and destroying behind Hutch. I like Soju's line-up, though I am worried about Peters a bit.

bang on. if we need to be even more aggressive, take out one of either JDG or Johnson and put Friend with Gerba. Those two seemed to have a bit of chemistry as witnessed during last 15 mins of USA game.

I don't know why people think a 4-4-2 would work for us, especially that 4-4-2. We don't have two central midfielders defensively good enough to play a two man midfield. Especially if we played De Ro on the wing as you suggest who is a write-off defensively, as are Gerba and Jackson up front. If we went into the Panama game with 5 attacking players it would be a very long game...

I don't know why people think a 4-4-2 would work for us, especially that 4-4-2. We don't have two central midfielders defensively good enough to play a two man midfield. Especially if we played De Ro on the wing as you suggest who is a write-off defensively, as are Gerba and Jackson up front. If we went into the Panama game with 5 attacking players it would be a very long game...

We need goals... 3 I think if we don't want Mexico. You can't have your cake and eat it to. We need offense, one striker isn't going to cut it. Yes we are defensively weaker than the formation we play most of the time but you have to sacrifice somewhere. I like going in fighting, we need to create as many quality chances as possible. Worry about bunkering later.

Here's the kind of formation I'd like to see.

-----------------Borjan----------------

Peters---Hainault--McKenna---Klukowski

---------------De Guzman-------------

-------Hutchinson-------De Rosario-----

Jackson------------------------Simpson

----------------Gerba------------------

Subs:

Lars Hirschfeld

Marcel De Jong

Nick Ledgerwood

Pedro Pacheco

Rob Friend

Tosaint Ricketts

It puts the guys who are strong at attacking in the middle in the middle, it puts the best wingers in an advanced wing position, it puts a capable striker in the box, gives our best GK option the back, and leaves five defensively-oriented players covering him, with the bonus that De Guzman is good at moving the ball from defense to offense in quick and intelligent ways.

Here's the kind of formation I'd like to see.

Peters----Hainault--McKenna----Klukowski

---------------De Guzman---------------

-------Hutchinson-------De Rosario------

Johnson-------------------------Simpson

--------Jackson---------Gerba-----------

One man too many.

Archived