Morace to stick with national team through London Olympics

cwntfan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
With Canada currently down 3-0 to France, and effectively eliminated from the tournament, is Morace's return still good news?

Yes, it's not her fault Canada lost today. The blame should go to players. There's so much a coach can do!

You can't turn an ocean liner around on a dime. We are making progress. It is not a linear straight up thing but the trend is better. Most times the ladies do play decent possession soccer. The game against France will just re-enforce the coach's position against punt and chase. The players will see how futile it is. Lets face it, when you have a Christine Sinclair up front and punt and chase doesn't win you know that era is OVER.

I'm glad CM is sticking around because in 2 years she has started to change the game around. We have a very long way to go but at least we are heading in the correct direction. The huge task for the CSA will be finding the successor who can continue to build on what we have done so far.

On to the Olympics!

What is the qualification route for the Olympics? How many teams from Concacaf etc.?

There will be 12 teams in London. CONCACAF qualifies 2 teams to London. The qualifying tournament will be held in Vancouver in January 2012 and have 8 teams. 3 Caribbean and 2 Central American teams will join Canada, the US, and Mexico.

You can't turn an ocean liner around on a dime. We are making progress. It is not a linear straight up thing but the trend is better. Most times the ladies do play decent possession soccer. The game against France will just re-enforce the coach's position against punt and chase. The players will see how futile it is. Lets face it, when you have a Christine Sinclair up front and punt and chase doesn't win you know that era is OVER.

I'm glad CM is sticking around because in 2 years she has started to change the game around. We have a very long way to go but at least we are heading in the correct direction. The huge task for the CSA will be finding the successor who can continue to build on what we have done so far.

On to the Olympics!

It takes time for sure, the next step is learning how to maintain possession under intense high pressure as they experienced against Germany and France. Both of those teams occasionally booted the ball away aimlessly at times when Canada was applying pressure so it's more of an evolution as opposed to a revolution. I look forward to seeing what CM will do going forward. Even in the France game i saw some things I liked, it wasn't quite the total disaster that many have opined here.

CBC - Canada laments lack of big games in World Cup lead-up

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fifawomensworldcup2011/story/2011/07/03/sp-canada-lament.html

"While 10 members of France's women's soccer team were hoisting a Champions League trophy back in May, Canada's women's team was training in virtual seclusion in Rome.

The Canadians arrived at the FIFA Women's World Cup riding high hopes, having spent four months in Italy training, bonding and soaking up the Azurri soccer culture. But when the World Cup whistle blew, it became abundantly clear the one thing missing was games, say the players.

"It's something we have to go back and look at obviously," said veteran goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc. "We thought coming out of preparation that we did the right thing, so we have to go back and look at it. Games are great and also time together is great so you have to find the balance."

cont'd

""You can see it on the field, they have the chemistry, they have the game fitness, they know how to win important matches," midfielder Kaylyn Kyle said of France.""

To the blond I say, OK, now you have seen it, so get on with it and get fit for next time.

Carolina must go and be replaced with someone more interested in improving the squad as opposed to picking fights, taking money the CSA doesn't have and deflecting blame for embarrassing loses after the fact. As far as I'm concerned, she's like Mourinhio w/o the ability and charm. I'm just glad the CSA had the resolve not to give her more control over women's player development.

The fact is that traditional footballing powers have begun to apply their knowhow to the women's game, which has exposed the flaws in our WNT - Players to management. Time to move on, just too bad we can't get our money back.

Carolina must go and be replaced with someone more interested in improving the squad as opposed to picking fights, taking money the CSA doesn't have and deflecting blame for embarrassing loses after the fact. As far as I'm concerned, she's like Mourinhio w/o the ability and charm. I'm just glad the CSA had the resolve not to give her more control over women's player development.

The fact is that traditional footballing powers have begun to apply their knowhow to the women's game, which has exposed the flaws in our WNT - Players to management. Time to move on, just too bad we can't get our money back.

For the hundredth time the money the CWNT use is restricted funding that comes from Sports Canada, Own The Podium/COC and etc. This year for winning they got additional $300K from FIFA for the WWC. They should have got additional money from CONCACAF too for winning there. All this funding is results/performance based and can only be used by the team that produced the results. 4 years ago in the same cycle and when the CWNT was fighting for more CSA funding it was reported that the CSA portion of funding was only around $150K. Getting to the Olympics and even the new uniforms they worn there came from the COC and not the CSA. Folks need to move on about the money the CWNT uses as the team pretty much generates it themselves. Heck even last cycle the team got Kerfoot and Teck compared to the CSA that got Winners that only came up with T-shirts for the team.....ever wonder why none of the team showed up for the Winners press conference.

whateves...

Carolina tried to 'spend her capital' after her qualifying campaign 'success' by getting more money (from whomever) and influence (within the CSA) instead of getting the team ready for the WWC.

As a result, the team was (evidently) underprepared. Then, instead of taking ownership for the team's worst showing ever at the WWC, she responds by blaming the CSA for not investing in Women's national league.

Honestly, shambles. Lets not keep our girls back by keeping this person around.

This is a collection of CSA and CSN info:

[CSA Director of Communications Richard] Scott also notes that for 2011, the women’s team — which is preparing for the Women’s World Cup in June — receives roughly 18 per cent of the CSA’s budget, which ranges between $18 million and $19 million.

The men’s team, meanwhile, receives about 13 per cent of the budget.

LINK

In total, the CSA was directly budgeted to contribute $1,653,000 to the women’s program last year [2010], versus $1,099,000 for the men.

CSA officials confirm that the total 2011 budget for the women’s senior team is $3.1 million. That figure includes $1.425 million from the Own The Podium program [1.653 = 3.100 - 1.425]. There is a proposal under review that could increase the women’s budget by as much as $500,000. There is also a possibility that more of the near $300,000 that FIFA provided for making the World Cup will be added to the team’s budget. If the full amount is forwarded, and the $500,000 injection is approved, the Canadian budget would be in line with the estimated $4 million that the US women’s team is thought to receive.

The men will receive $2.5 million in total in 2011, a figure that includes both the direct funding from the CSA as well as sponsorship money, ticket sales and appearance fees.

LINK

Rumoured on this forum:

- CWNT - $1.424 million

- CMNT - $1.314 million

The sad truth of soccer in Canada

People see the numbers and go AHA! Those spoiled women! Which is the mental version of cannibalism. Looking at two starving children and saying that girl has an extra ounce of fat is missing the point entirely. When you consider the economic development of Canada and the participation rate of the game, the money spent on all our teams is a tiny fraction of what it should be.

We spend $20 million on ridiculous construction projects every single day of the week and no one bats an eyelash and the newspapers yawn and don't even print it because it's not news and no one cares. But one national team gets an extra 3% of that and it's 72pt bold and time to bring in the Auditor General.

The salient points are:

- we spend money on our women's program

- we spend money on our men's program

- on a long-term basis they're both relatively even

And to the last point mentioned (a national league), I didn't take Morace's comments as complaining about or blaming the CSA at all. I thought she was simply saying this is my professional evaluation of the reality of the situation. It was a clinical diagnosis, not a blame game.

Thanks Vic as it's pretty close.

The part the CSA doesn't disclose or show you were they use it is the other Sports Canada money. This money comes in for NSO programs and for team results/performance based on prior cycle results. Until the CSA is ready to publicly disclose the breakdowns in their financials of each program like the USSF does what we can get off the Interweb will continue to not balance with what the CSA insiders say.

Sports Canada

2011 - 2012 = ?

2010 - 2011 = $3.35M (program support) + $50,000(hosting) - Olympics prep?

2009 - 2010 = $2.16M - WWC prep?

2008 - 2009 = $1.5M

2007 - 2008 = $1.5M + $1.84M (MNT U20 hosting) - WNT Qualified for Olympics

2006 - 2007 = $1.4M + $2.4M (MNT U20 hosting) - WNT Qualified for WWC

OTP - for the last 3 years of a 4 year cycle

Beijing - $1.591M or $530K per year

London - $2.496M or $832K

FIFA WWC 2011 award of $300K - part is being used to compensate players in the WWC cycle

USWNT Base Yearly Expenses that do not include Olympic or WWC related expenses. It's hard to compare vs the CWNT as their cycles of how they use their money is different. Hence what the CSA usually tells us is only part of the real picture.

2010 - $3.334M

2009 - $8.593M

2008 - $6.239M

2007 - $4.766M

2006 - $3.181M

2005 - $7.552M

What Sports Canada money are they talking about in the 2010 Annual Report that the WNT brought in is the question?

http://www.canadasoccer.com/documents/CSA_2010AR_EN_web.pdf

Other highlights in 2010 included:

• Increased government support, which grew 79% over the previous year and now represents 19% of the Association’s overall revenue. Ongoing support provided through Sport Canada and Own the Podium (OTP) for training and competition was a key contributor to the Women’s National Team’s qualification for the FIFA Women’s World Cup Germany 2011™. It has also helped put the team in a strong position to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics.

IMO the object isn't about who is getting more if any (like Vic says) but it's about where it's coming from, what the CSA is doing with it and what the they aren't telling us as usual.

whateves...

Carolina tried to 'spend her capital' after her qualifying campaign 'success' by getting more money (from whomever) and influence (within the CSA) instead of getting the team ready for the WWC.

As a result, the team was (evidently) underprepared. Then, instead of taking ownership for the team's worst showing ever at the WWC, she responds by blaming the CSA for not investing in Women's national league.

Honestly, shambles. Lets not keep our girls back by keeping this person around.

This from a Hart supporter?

My initial point here was about getting rid of Carolina, because (from my perspective) she focussed on other matters instead of properly preparing her team for success at the WWC. I aint an agent, but usually one tries to have a 'breakout season' before re-negotiating terms.

Past behaviour being the best predictor of future behaviour leads me to think she will be an overall negative for the WNT if left in charge.

But if you want to go there...

Money can always be redistributed. In the event that the women are getting supplemented by a separate budget, the smart thing to do would be to redistribute their portion of the CSA budget to other worthy causes (like the MNT, coach development, etc) so the game at large can improve in Canada. I would argue that the extra cash the WNT received (from wherever) did little to improve their squad, and most definitely did nothing for the sport in Canada.

Until Honduras or whoever cares enough to improve the standard of play amongst their WNTs, we'll basically get an engraved invite to the WWC every 4 years. Long story - little return on investment.

The men's World Cup is a much larger and more lucrative tournament to be a part of, thus investing in initiatives that get us to that dance would do much more to improve the game in Canada, Women's soccer included. Some may disagree, but that is the cold honest truth.

Anyroad, two separate arguments - but I'm happy to discuss either ad nauseum

Preparation is all too overblown. Example is this WNT wasn't that different than that of 2007 -

2007 Prep -

37 games

Kerfoot residency

Extra funding from Kerfoot

Didn't get out of group?

2011 Prep

32 games

Italian residency

Extra funding from Sports Canada and Own The Podium (COC) based on performance at last CONCACAF, WWC and Olympics

Didn't get out of group

The bottom line is about changing the youth development model. Many say that the LTPD will but let's not forget it's a template that came from Sports Canada and for it to really be used those in the system have to read it.

"The men's World Cup is a much larger and more lucrative tournament to be a part of, thus investing in initiatives that get us to that dance would do much more to improve the game in Canada, Women's soccer included."

You sound like Colin Linford ;-)

Archived